Bbe Sonic Stomp Thoughts Anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trower, Jul 13, 2006.

1. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'v Seen These Around. The Rackables Are Great! How Do These Compare Working Thru The Front Of Amp?

2. d7music

d7music Member

I picked one up last week, being a fan of the rack unit for recording and for live PA use.

It really like it! It adds that high end sparkle without the "ice-pick".
    It also has a "Lo Contour" knob that does some nice things to the low end.

3. badger6

badger6 Member

I have been using one for about 6 months now.....I had the rack mount unit in my pa for years. Does the same thing for your guitar basically.....best phrase I heard that seems like what it does with my rig was "sounds like taking a blanket off of your amp"

4. cameron

cameron Member

I tried the optical compressor. Very nice, but not really a guitar compressor, more like a studio compressor. Would be great for bass, or for acoustic guitar.

5. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I found a 264R for $35 and I really like what it does- I think it'll go into the loop permanently- sparkly high and blanket off amp are the best descriptions-

6. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I've had a wierd experiance with the bbe rack mounts. I had a 462 and had it in the loop of a JMP-1 going to a boogie 290 power amp and loved what it did for my sound. I then got an Soldano SLO-100 and put it in the loop and it really thinned out my tone. I thought I might need the 862 since you can run that at +4. I bought one and tried it but it thinned out my tone as well. Maybe it just doesn't work with that amp for some reason. I've never been able to figure out the cause...I guess it just works in some situations better then others...

7. iggs

iggs Member

I had the BBE Sonic Stomp and ran it last in my chain. I liked it for a while but the more closely I listened it started to sound a bit "processed" to me, then I replaced it with the RC Booster and found I like the RC way more for the same purpose. Drives the long cable better, and the Treble Bass EQ is quite handy.
    Gave it to my friend and he seems to like it.

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

iggs wrote: "the more closely I listened it started to sound a bit "processed" to me..."

+1 to this description - I found it making my ears tired after awhile, it just didn't sound natural...

9. cameron

cameron Member

Well, it sounds processed, because it is processed.

I think the BBE is a very useful effect in recording, and for PA setups, but as part of a guitar rig, I'm not so sure. The exception is with Mesa amps, Boogies and Rectos. Those things NEED the BBE in the effect loop. But only in the loop. I see no point in putting one before the preamp.

10. iggs

iggs Member

:D Yeah well ... the RC also "processes" the sound ... it just does not "sound" like it ... ;)

11. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

My Sonic Stomp is on all of the time - wouldn't have it any other way.

12. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I just hooked up my rack BBE in the loop of Emplexi last night. What a wonderful improvement, these really add girth and fills out the sound nicely, kinda tames that shrillness of some settings. I'm afraid I won't be satisfied without it now. But hey, are any of you guys using the Stomp version in your loops? I hear what Cameron's say'n..I also think some pedal's just may not reflect there full potential heading into the front of an amp. A good example would be my Boss Reverb/Delay pedal, mine sounds like absolute crap in front! but is very nice in the loop...

13. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Why do Mesas need them? I have a Recto, so I'm curious as to what I might gain with this.

D

14. cameron

cameron Member

To my ears the Mesas have a looseness to them, especially in the low end and low mids, that can be curtailed, or tightened-up, with the BBE.

But take Mesa advice from me with a grain of salt. I basically don't like the way those amps sound. I had a DC-5 for a while, and struggled mightily trying to figure out how to get decent sounds out of it. The BBE helped a lot, but in the end I decided I was wasting my time trying to make that thing do what I wanted.

15. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I had the Aphex version of the same pedal. I ended up much preferring the BJF LRT to add an extremely natural high-end (blanket removing) sheen. I've never felt a need to play with the low end beyond twisting the bass knob on my Hiwatt.

- DB