• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

BBE Sonic Stomp

roymond

I heard that this makes your rig sound amazing? But that's all I know about it. Can anyone with experience with the pedal convince me to get it?

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
I can't. I had one...seemed to add a little shimmer/sparkle to your tone. Maybe a bit of sustain too. In the end, couldn't justify the space on my board. Seems like an absolute luxury.

CJReaper

From my experience they tend to sound best when used in an effects loop rather than into the front of the amp (although that works too, but not as dramatic of a difference). To me it sounds like a loudness control for a stereo, in fact I would say it makes the tone more hi-fi. It's a cool, useful effect but not for everyone, try one before you buy if you can.

Cheers,

CJ

x-ray specs

From what I've read about the sonic stomp, if you have a high quality signal chain (e.g. high quality cables, good amp, etc..) the sonic stomp won't be needed as much or at all in some cases.

I do own the pedal myself and it does add a little brightness and clarity to my sound, but if turned up too much it can give a synthetic type of effect, I guess this is what some peeps don't like about the pedal. In some cases (depending on the equipment your running through) it does indeed seem like taking a blanket off your amp, as many claim.

Gilwater

I have one, I'm going to be selling it soon. It's my understanding that it is only to be used in the FX loop (although I can't confirm this). With that said, I have a Mesa Boogie Roadster, which like many amps, sounds duller when the FX loop in engaged so....in theory I'd only be using the sonic stomp to bring it back to it's unadulterated FX loop bypassed glory.:huh

I think that maybe it did sound a bit more "hi-fi" if you will, with the sonic stomp engaged; but not enough of a change that it's worth keeping. And my judgement may have been altered by my want to hear a difference.

In the end, I'm playing a highly tweekable quality amp and in a band mix the differnce of the sonic stomp is neglagable. I'm of the belief that if your amp sounds like there's a blanket on it, maybe a pedal isn't your solution.:p

Jonny D

I love my Sonic Stomp particularly for clean. Yes, it is right that the further to the end of your chain you can place this, the better you will fare. The ideal place for it is actually just before your power amp (in your effects loop).

What it is purported to do is sequence the frequencies of your signal such that the bass frequencies and the treble frequencies arrive at the ear at the same time. In the end what this means is that things sound a bit more "crisp". I notice it most with clean.

When I play clean (blues rhythm), I just leave it on the whole time. It sounds really nice on a good Fender amp (from my experience).

I don't use many pedals, but this one goes with me everywhere I go (I have two).

phillygtr

I have one. It's good. Does what it's supposed to.

Am I right in assuming it's a digital pedal?

x-ray specs

No, the sonic stomp is not digital.

Also, in an email I received from BBE they told me the pedal was best placed last in your chain (if running in front of the amp) except reverb. Reverb should be run after the sonic stomp.

CRWolf

Gold Supporting Member
I don't like them on bright amps, but on amps that tend to be a little murky and/or have a lot of low end it can do a lot to clear things up.

xntrick

I use one in the loop of my 3120, it really does a nice job of improving the sound. Definitely "removes the blanket so to speak". Shop around on ebay as you can find them for much less than the going rate from the big retailers.

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
Good experiences with it here....adds some high-end sparkle and also some punch/clarity, particularly if you're in situations where you can't crank your amp.

Dumdeediddle

I have the Software version and use it regularly in Pro Tools on all types of Instruments . Works well. Simple operation and provides plenty of punch and definition.

Floyd Eye

I like it for cleans on a guitar rig. I used to use a rackmount unit in my bass rig, but I got rid of it. It's kinda noisy and everything the sonic maximizer does can be done with proper EQ.

geetar76

I think the Sonic Stomp is the smaller, lesser controls version of the BBE Sonic Maximizer. I picked up a Sonic Maximizer cheap on eBbay as "used" but it was brand new. I have been using it with my acoustic and running the direct out to the PA. It's a very subtle difference, but I really think the tone of my Taylor T5 is improved using the Sonic Maximizer.

I was wondering if there would be any benefit to trying it with my electric rig. I generally am just a hobby player, and I change my board up often and go into a Bassman RI or Twin Reverb RI. I might try it and see if there is any benefit.

macquet

Anyone using the Sonic Stomp with a Line 6 HD500 or other modeler care to chime in. Been thinking about this and the Ehx Anologizer.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I can't speak to the sonic, but I have the old version Opto Stomp and it did a super job for acoustic... But was blown away by the Aphex Punch Factory 1404 as an opto comp and DI in one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom