BBE Supa Charger and Empress VM Superdelay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Papito, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Papito

Papito Member

just bought the supa charger, I know that the empress requires 300ma, does the super charger can handle it or should I will have to use the external power supply? does anyone has them both and can put some light on it?

2. juujuuj

juujuuj Member

i have both : you cant
    the max you have on the BBE is 200mA
    if you use 300mA on a 200mA powersupply you gonna brake your pedal

3. Papito

Papito Member

I mailed BBE that I was able to drive my VM SD with the 5th position on 16v and the reverse polarity cable (red). that's what he replied me:

"Well it sounds like it will work fine with output 5 and 6, and 300mA is not the minimum required to drive this unit. It is not dangerous to insert the 16v because the Empress probably has a regulated voltage to drive the pedal"Do you think I can count on it? is it dangerous?

4. juujuuj

juujuuj Member

i clearly saw somewhere that empress says you cant supply the superdelay with pp2+ and i suppose its the same with supa charger plus i m not sure the superdelay its 16v i think its 12V but maybe you can. imo send a mail to empress to be sure then let me know cause i have a supacharger +superdelay

5. Papito

Papito Member

sent them 3 days ago, no answer yet.

6. braken

braken Member

They are Canadians based out of Ottawa and it is winter so they're probably frozen somewhere. Give them time, they always reply

7. bigchops

bigchops Member

I was using the recording engineers Empress super delay VM while recording and I plugged it into port 5 or 6 using the red cable for line6 and it worked just. Used it almost always on for a couple of days. Btw I love that thing and now am in search of a used one ever since trying it out. To my ears it puts the dl4 to shame... I'm such a glutinous gear whore

8. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I'm not entirely sure of the power requirements for the super delay, but if it's 9v/300mA center negative, yes you can power it with the Supa Charger -- you just need a current doubler Y cable. Hook up the Y cable to one of outputs 5 or 6 and a regular adjacent output and you will be able to draw 300mA of current that way. You can get one of these cables on analogmans website.

Note: make sure you are getting a current doubling cable and not a voltage doubling cable. Using a voltage doubler could possibly fry your pedal.

9. ACE 4080

ACE 4080 Member

I power my timeline off of the BBE's 200 mA out.

10. jackrockerman

jackrockerman Member

Superdelay need a 9-12v 300mA..with positive tip (centre)

i think your BBE is not the right choice.