BBE Supa Charger

dosmun

I picked up one this weekend for $99 at GC. It works great and is the same dimensions as PP2. I believe the specs are pretty close to the PP2 as well except the BBE doesn't have the Sag which I would never use anyway. It also has a 5 year warranty.

EL34

Platinum Supporting Member
you should be aware that the 16v output puts out closer to 19v (at least on mine it did).

jgyn

I have one. Works fine. Its 16 volt output could power my 18 volt KR Megavibe, but the 12 volt output couldn't power my 12 volt TC Nova Reverb.

I've got one and also two Pedal Power 2's.

So far, I've only run into one problem.

One gig it was 106 degrees in the evening and my Line 6 DL4 started freaking out. It was blinking on and off and wouldn't work all night. Since then, it works fine. When I called Line 6, the Tech Support guy mentioned they do not support the BBE because they've tested it and got it to fail. How exactly they tested, he didn't say. Disclaimer: i run 14 pedals with the BBE using daisy chain cables -- maybe that's pushing it? I've never had a problem doing this with the PP2's tho...

Josh Fiden

I've got one and also two Pedal Power 2's.

So far, I've only run into one problem.

One gig it was 106 degrees in the evening and my Line 6 DL4 started freaking out. It was blinking on and off and wouldn't work all night. Since then, it works fine. When I called Line 6, the Tech Support guy mentioned they do not support the BBE because they've tested it and got it to fail. How exactly they tested, he didn't say. Disclaimer: i run 14 pedals with the BBE using daisy chain cables -- maybe that's pushing it? I've never had a problem doing this with the PP2's tho...
I designed the Pedal Power in 1996 to meet the needs of professional players, and I periodically make improvements to it. That other product is a Chinese made copy of an older model of my design. I ask that you support companies that do not copy other's work, but use their own creativity such as Voodoo Lab, Burkey, Dunlop and many others.

Sincerely,

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO
www.voodoolab.com

CalebT

I designed the Pedal Power in 1996 to meet the needs of professional players, and I periodically make improvements to it. That other product is a Chinese made copy of an older model of my design. I ask that you support companies that do not copy other's work, but use their own creativity such as Voodoo Lab, Burkey, Dunlop and many others.

Sincerely,

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO
www.voodoolab.com

Hi Josh, I'm a huge supporter of originality and intellectual property, but what made me purchase the BBE instead of the PP2+ was the lack of voltage switchability on the latter.

Josh Fiden

Hi Josh, I'm a huge supporter of originality and intellectual property, but what made me purchase the BBE instead of the PP2+ was the lack of voltage switchability on the latter.
Adding an additional primary to allow switchable 120/240V is a compromise. It requires reducing the amount of copper used for other windings and therefore decreases the performance of the transformer. Since the design objective was to maximize performance in a small size, this was not provided.

Normally people want switchable primary voltage so that they can purchase a 240V model in the U.S.A. to get a better price by avoiding paying their local taxes.

Regards,

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO
www.voodoolab.com

CalebT

The issue is often inflated pricing by dealers, as opposed to local taxes. Goods and Services Tax in my country is only 7%, but the PP2+ retails at about 235USD, as opposed to the 169.99USD that it goes for at online retailers such as Tone Factor.

I would have gladly purchased a PP2+ online if it had 240V capabilities. In this day and age of globalisation, is it really efficient to artificially impose trading restraints by utilising electronic inflexibility? What if I purchase a 240V PP2+, but have a tour to the USA? Would that not necessitate a separate transformer, which would contravene the fundamental principle of portability and a small form-factor?

Josh Fiden

The issue is often inflated pricing by dealers, as opposed to local taxes. Goods and Services Tax in my country is only 7%, but the PP2+ retails at about 235USD, as opposed to the 169.99USD that it goes for at online retailers such as Tone Factor.

I would have gladly purchased a PP2+ online if it had 240V capabilities. In this day and age of globalisation, is it really efficient to artificially impose trading restraints by utilising electronic inflexibility? What if I purchase a 240V PP2+, but have a tour to the USA? Would that not necessitate a separate transformer, which would contravene the fundamental principle of portability and a small form-factor?
You neglect the USD35 to ship it from USA to Singapore. As you make clear, you would rather save 10% than support a local shop where you can try products yourself and get support. Further, touring players do not modify their gear to change line voltage when they travel. This is fine for a notebook computer or a cell phone, not a backline. So let's not pretend that you need to switch voltages and that is why, in this case, you would disregard your principles regarding "originality and intellectual property."

The point is taking someone's work and replicating it in China. You saved some money and you got a product that looks similar. The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power is the finest, best selling power supply for pedalboards in the world, by far. You bought something else. I can live with it.

Sincerely,

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO
www.voodoolab.com

CalebT

You neglect the USD35 to ship it from USA to Singapore. As you make clear, you would rather save 10% than support a local shop where you can try products yourself and get support. Further, touring players do not modify their gear to change line voltage when they travel. This is fine for a notebook computer or a cell phone, not a backline. So let's not pretend that you need to switch voltages and that is why, in this case, you would disregard your principles regarding "originality and intellectual property."

The point is taking someone's work and replicating it in China. You saved some money and you got a product that looks similar. The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power is the finest, best selling power supply for pedalboards in the world, by far. You bought something else. I can live with it.

Sincerely,

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO
www.voodoolab.com

Wow, there's really no need to get defensive Josh.

I shall address your points sequentially:

1. It does not cost USD 35 to ship to Singapore. Tone Factor charges USD 20 for international shipping for up to as many as 10 pedals, so shipping charges really aren't as gargantuan as you make them out to be.

2. I am not 'pretending' that I would need to switch voltages. I am merely raising the possibility a situation which would necessitate the flexibility that such a feature would provide. I am a college student who has the option to go on an international exchange programme, and I would naturally want to bring my gear along and not have to purchase another power supply. There is no need to question my principles. On a side note, what do touring players do then? Carry humongous power transformers around?

3. I am not disputing the quality of the PP2+ at all. If your beef is with BBE, go ahead and file a suit against them if your product is patented! Not everyone is the CEO of a company who can afford the inflated dealer pricing without batting an eyelid. Moreover, have you not heard the old adage "imitation is the best form of flattery"?

4. You have not responded to my point on dealers inflating the prices of products. On your point, why is there a need to 'try' a power supply? Perhaps the trebles on the PP2+ are less attenuated as compared to a T-Rex Fuel Tank, for instance?

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member

Sincerely,

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO
www.voodoolab.com
pwned? :)

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Silver Supporting Member
Wow, my apologies to Mr. Fiden. I was misinformed. I thought that the BBE Supacharger was made by Voodoo Lab, or that both were made by a third party for both companies. I thought that I had read something to that effect here. Since I plan to get a Devolt from Beavis Audio (http://www.beavisaudio.com/products/devolt/index.html) for sag, I went for the BBE. So far, it has performed fine, but I haven't overloaded it.

Intellectual property is very important to me, and I try to respect it in my dealings.

Josh Fiden

Far from it. Mr Fiden just lacks the paradigm of a consumer.
You can try to talk circles around it all you want. You made a purchase decision based on price. I'm not faulting you for this. But it is disingenuous to argue otherwise.

On the issue of shipping, perhaps you should check rates with the common carriers, USPS, UPS, Fedex, etc. I'm not arguing whatever Tone Factor charges their customers, but they are subsidizing this out of their profits.

You missed the point about hands on experience with products at a local shop. Once you've decided what brand and gauge of strings you like, you can purchase them online at a discount. But if you take every bit of business you can away from the local shop to get the best possible price, they may not be around when you want to play all the guitars or hear a new pedal.

I can't comment directly on whether dealers in Singapore are inflating prices. There are many factors which can affect how they set their pricing... rents, business taxes, payroll, health insurance, advertising, sales volume, cost of money for inventory. It's not a simple question, I don't know the answer.

Regards,

Josh

Trending Topics

Top Bottom