1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BBE Supacharger Power Supply - Opinions/Experience

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MoPho, Jan 5, 2008.

1. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Seems like a viable alternative to Voodoo Labs PP2+ and has the isolated outputs. Anyone use it or have heard comments on it? Thanks.

2. DeuceII

DeuceII Supporting Member

I checked out the info on their website, since GC has them on special clearance for $99. It doesn't have the convenience AC outlet that the PP2+ has, nor does it have the sag options. But all the outputs are variable between 9v and 12v, like the PP2, with two outputs being variable between 9v and 16v. Not sure if that's supposed to power the Line6 modelers, or if that's not an option with the Supa. I agree it sounds like a good alternative, or addition.

3. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Are you sure about the clearance? Becuase if so, tell me where so I can go buy it. Going back to the question, I have heard nothing but good things. Yea, it down have it's done sides like DeuceII mentioned. But it can power the Line6 modelers. It has nice bright blue LED that kind makes the board "glow." My friend Nick swears by it. He plays bass with both fuzz and clean sounds, so noise is an issue for him. But again, he loves it and thinks it's a better design than the PP2+. I am planning on buying one (or two) when I get my Pedaltrain 2. It's almost identical size to the PP2+ so there's no issue of it fitting on boards that are design to house them, an example would be NYC pedalboards.

4. MoPho

Right-o on the clearance. Just picked one up from Guitar Center here in Dallas. Haven't tried to fire it up yet, but can't beat that price.

5. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I picked one up and took some measurements - the 9v and 12v settings are damn tight in tolerance (<300mv from nominal), but the 16v settings are way off (they measured 19.6v !!!).

6. MoPho

Thanks EL34. I guess sometime tonight I'll plug a few pedals in and see if it remains happy.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a good deal, I am in the market myself. I need to add another PS to my main board to power an MM4 and a fuzz. What would you use the 16v setting for?

8. ajric

ajric Member

Anyone know if you can run a Teese wah off the Supa Charger? The Teese has a warning of MAX 200MA. So I guess what I am asking is what are the MA of each of the 9v taps?

CHeers
    Anthony

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I have 2 of these units, they're nice.

Specs say:
    Output Jacks 1-4, 7 & 8 = 9v or 12v DC (100mA Regulated)
    Output Jacks 5 & 6 = 9v or 16v DC (200mA Regulated)

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Sounds like the 16v setting is unregulated (like the PP2+ on the "L6" setting) - under load (when powering one of the modeller pedals) the voltage will be lower.

I'm seriously considering one of these, as it has a voltage selector (opening the door to ordering from the US to take advantage of the weak dollar :AOK). My only beef is that it - like the PP2+ - is a little taller than the Cioks supplies I'm using now, which would mean I'd have to make the back row on my board a little taller too (to make it fit underneath). My case has just enough lid clearance for the back row as is, so raising it may create clearance problems for the pedals on the riser. So getting a Supa-Charger may result in me having to get a new pedalboard/case, which sort of negates the savings on the power supply itself... :D

/Andreas

11. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

i took back my dc-brick back yesterday and swapped it for the supa-charger at GC. The supa weighs as much by it'self as the whole package for the dc brick. Seems very well made, time will tell.

Dave