BBM in Dry Mode vs. Boutique Muffs. Quit while I'm ahead?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Son of SunnO))), Apr 4, 2015.

1. Son of SunnO)))

Son of SunnO))) Member

I've had a Bass Big Muff for about 5 years. It's a plain silver box now as I sanded the graphics off, partially cause it looked cooler and partially so I wouldn't be tempted to sell it.
    It's in my nature that when I find a tone I like, I try to improve on it or replicate it with less pedals. It's been on and off the board, shoved in a drawer, back on the board, boosted with treble boosters, an SD-1 and finally a Hotcake.
    Almost the entire time I've used the bass boost mode for extra "woof."
    At times I find myself looking for more clarity, using an EQ to get more bite.
    I was thinking of a triangle muff clone or a more tweakable muff like a Musket to see what it was like. Then I discovered dry mode. With the Hotcake in front, I'm not getting half dry signal, I'm getting 50/50 Hotcake/Muff.
    It's like taking the blanket off the amp and still having the muff growl and sustain. I also like/don't care about the volume boost.
    Should I stop right there with Muffs?
    Is there a point in getting a fancier, more tweakable Muff?
    Maybe I should move on to a different fuzz flavor. Thoughts?

2. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I recently picked up a Basic Audio Alter-destiny, and it's the most flexible Muff-derived pedal I've ever played. The extra controls (Fat knob, Mid knob, Mid boost switch) allow it to cut through a dense mix like a light saber.

3. Son of SunnO)))

Son of SunnO))) Member