BBOD stacking tips?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbpickin, Sep 24, 2006.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I am trying to decide which BJFE od's to keep on my gigging board. I have to keep it to 2 BJFE pedals out of the 4 I own (HB, BBOD, DRD, LGW). I have a Tim that is staying on with them. I just took my Eternity off and am currently using the LGW>HB stack. I don't need any really high gain stuff, just some good blues, rock and funk tones.

I would really like to run the BBOD, but the LGW>HB>Tim offers a lot of different od/dist options.

I went to the tonesafari site and all the BBOD settings are for the running the pedal by itself. I have experimented a little in the past and liked the BBOD>HB stack.

Does anyone have any favorite BBOD stacks/settings they would like to share?

2. evco

evco Member

I just sold my BBOD a few minutes ago on the emporium, but one of my favorite stacks of all time was running the BBOD (gain at 1:00, tone around 2:00, volume 11:00) into a Tim (gain 12:00, volume 10:00, both tone cuts around 10:00, boost off). The BBOD also works great into the DRD for higher gain stuff.

I never had much luck running other pedals into the BBOD.

3. cbpickin

Cool, I played with the BBOD>DRD stack quite a bit when I first got the two pedals. Lots of fun high gain stuff to be had, but I don't have a need for that sound with my band.
    I haven't tried the BBOD into the Tim, definitely going to have to.
    Thanks!

Hey, I just checked your listing. A Baby Blue that is... tan?:D

4. Craise

Craise Member

I'd say if only two... IMHO it's gotta be one of these combos
    BBOD>DR
    DR>HB
    LGW>HB
    Any of these would work fine...but if I had to choose..it would be
    DR>HB
    What amp are you using?

:)

5. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

At times, I like to run HB>>BBOD, with the drive on the BBOD down around 8:30--9:00. There's so many ways to run and combine BJF pedals, that literally, they could provide years of fun.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  6. evco

evco Member

A Baby Blue that is... tan?:D[/quote]

Ha! I didnt notice the color was a bit off in the picture!! The pedal is actually the color of the paper behind it......cheapo digital camera.

When I was using the BBOD/Tim combo, I'd have the Tim set for light rhythm grit, then kick in the BBOD for fat/smooth solos.

Good luck with your stacking adventures.

Eric

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

When I had a BBOD, I thought it already sounded like two good pedals stacked. Since I haven't had luck stacking 3 pedals, possibly because I wasn't patient enough to try to make it work, I didn't think I would want to stack the BBOD.

8. cbpickin

I'm using a Fargen Blackbird w/4x6v6. So, it is running pretty clean at most gigs and I'm getting my od from my pedals.
    I have run the other combos you suggest at different times. I also really like the LGW>DRD stack, but I just don't have a need for that much gain on most of our material.
    I like having both the LGW and BBOD tones available. I'm thinking of pulling off the phaser I'm using to make room to add the BBOD and keep the HB too. I would still have the Mojo Vibe on there. I use the Mojo mostly, but I prefer the phaser for some funk stuff. The thing is, I just rearranged everything to make room for the phaser too because it has not made it on the board yet.

9. jero

jero Member

I found the BBOD to be the least stackable of the BJF's I've owned, too much compression involved :)

10. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Yes the BBOD was partly designed to do a composite sound, while mostly to capture a specific function that you'd find a little below noon on the drive using a strat- differes somewhat with guitars.

There wasn't much point with stacking with just one pedal perhaps ;) but yes BBOD is easily the least stackable of all my models

Stacks with BBOD that I have found working would be HB>BBOD and HB volume must be set to bypass- BBOD does not really like being boosted.
    This gives a thicker BBOD sound

BBOD>HB this gives a thicker HB sound. So does DRD>HB or LGW>HB, while it would differ more how the comboes react

BBOD>LGW this adds complexity to LGW. Drive levels can be set so that both pedals make a natural sequence from one on light and the other on light and both on thicker.
    LGW was originally designed to go like for instance this PGC>LGW.
    BBOD>LGW gives a little more complex tone while similar

BBOD>DRD works but LGW>DRD has better definition

If I remember right BBOD> TIM is a nice one though generally TIM works with any of my models as far as I have tried.

Just a thought
    BJ

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  11. cedjazz

cedjazz Member

So I tried the BBOD>DRD for the first time, though I’ve had them both over 8 years. Drd is around 7.5v and bbod is around 12v. Seems more articulate to me. The LGW stack seemed to have a lower/mid thing I couldn’t avoid. The bbod/drd also allows me to go from jazzy to shred with volume knob only. AND, it’s very dynamic.

You said the bbod and drd were originally made for each other. For an optimum lead, what voltages would you recommend for each? Also, is there a setting on the LGW to lower the mids when stacked.

12. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

13. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

BJFE threads are timeless.

coltonius and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  14. cbpickin

Except that I sold off all of my BJFE pedals. I should have stuck with them; those were some of the best tones I have ever gotten, especially that early LGW.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    coltonius likes this.
  15. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Oddly, I find myself seaking out bjfe pedals again that I've sold long ago.

16. Johndandry

Johndandry Supporting Member

One of the best blues tones I’ve gotten on my Monday night French Quarter gig is BBOD-HB.

coltonius and JumpinBradFlash like this.