BC Rich Mockingbird ST any good?

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Been looking at these for a while. Never played one... Almost pulled the trigger on a couple on eBay last week but had second thoughts about buying an import.

Are these at least as good as the PRS SE guitars? I'm assuming I'll need to replace the pickups, how about the pots and caps?

How thin is the neck? I gravitate towards larger necks but can adapt to a variety fairly quickly. Just don't want an ultra-thin neck.

Let's hear about them, both good and bad. Post some pics too!

HunterNZ

I had one for a little while. Neck was huge. (I play thin necks for reference) pickups will certainly need replacing.

Biggest issue I had was the bad balance on a strap. They tend to neck dive and sit quite awkwardly.

But apart from that. I quite liked it.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Not really concerned about neck dive as I'll just be using this at home for recording.

Replacing pups with all the mini toggles and options may be a pain...

I don't have anything with a locking tremolo and am also considering a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd. Only considering the BC Rich for something a bit less conventional.

Roxy

They are decent. All what Hunter said.
Finish is great. Pickups blow. Love the toggles . Is it a tailstop or Floyd?
I found it to feel better for stuff other than metal. Still think they're cool.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
I'm definitely looking for a Floyd, although I have never owned a locking term. I'm looking for something completely different than the rest of my guitars (PRS DC22 and Hollowbody, Custom Shop Strats, Tele).

I'm not really a metal guy - more interested in something with a flatter fretboard radius than what I have, and will go with higher output pickups or even EMG's if I pick one up and do not like the stock pickups. I guess I'm looking for something that can cover more modern rock tones than all the vintage style instruments that I currently own, but not wanting to spend a lot of money. If I were looking to spend more and get something equivalent quality to my current guitars, I'd get a Suhr Modern. I have always liked the Mockingbird shape ever since I fist saw Joe Perry playing them in the late 70's so that's why I'm looking at them.

I guess my biggest concern is the quality of the Tremolo. The model I'm considering has the Floyd Rose 1000 Series tremolo. Same as the PRS SE Floyd. Any thoughts on that tremolo?

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I had one for a while.

Neck profile was pretty thin but very wide.
Neck was VERY straight.
Fret work was good. I could the action very low with no buzzing or fretting out.
The Trem was really good. Guitar would not go out of tune, even with heavy dive bombing.

Things I didn't like:
The frets were kind of low, I prefer jumbos.
I would have considered refretting it BUT the guitar was heavy.
I prefer guitars under 8 lbs. This felt like it weighed around 10 lbs.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the input. I figure the weight is going to be all over the map on these... Like you, I prefer guitars under 8 lbs.

I'll hit a couple local music stores tomorrow to see if anyone happens to have a used one. Maybe GC will have a new one that I can check out.

Polyester

Definitely see if you can try one out, even if just to get a feel for the shape and whether it's comfortable.

As for worrying about pickup replacement with all those toggle switches and complicated wiring, don't be. From pickup to wherever, it's (max) 4 wires. Just disconnect the old pickup, connect the wires from the new pickup to the same places and it'll work just fine.

Sheherezadeh

The Floyd Rose 1000 uses the same components as the OFRs, just made in Korea rather than Germany.

I have one of these and like it a lot. It's basically a tricked-out guitar for people used to Les Pauls, which is why Slash occasionally plays them. It's neck-divey, but it sounds and plays great, very versatile.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
As for worrying about pickup replacement with all those toggle switches and complicated wiring, don't be. From pickup to wherever, it's (max) 4 wires. Just disconnect the old pickup, connect the wires from the new pickup to the same places and it'll work just fine.
Cool. I can definitely handle that!

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Bringing this to a close.

The local GC had a used Mockingbird ST in stock and let's just say that I was less than impressed... Granted, that one did need some setup work, but the bridge was horrible (it was the FR Special tremolo, not the 1000 series), I did not care for the ergonomics, and did not particularly like the neck shape. I still think they look cool :dude

They also had a PRS SE 24 Floyd which was a much better instrument, and a good guitar for the price, but still not up to the standards that I am accustomed to with my other guitars.

After picking up and playing several other guitars in that price range (Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson), it was very clear that I cannot buy an instrument in this price range without playing it first. I knew that already, but trying a bunch of different instruments in the $600-$1000 price range really drove the point home. These instruments are wildly inconsistent in this price range.

Trending Topics