• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

BDRI - what should I do with this thing?

liv_rong

I bought a Blues Deluxe Reissue from a guy on CL and I botched the sale and rushed through the thing. It checked out ok at first, was stuck in the dirty channel, well the light said it was, but it was definitely in the clean channel. So it didnt switch channels, I didnt care I wanted it for cleans. Was loud, clear, a little bass heavy but still seemed ok. Reverb seemed low, but again not a big deal I thought. Well got it home and put it through its paces and a few more problems, no reverb at all now. So I call around and bring it to what is supposed to be a pretty reputable shop in the area, price seemed fair and he seemed to know what he was talking about(I did some research already) so I brought it in.

After its there a day I get a call and they said the board is all jacked because someone modified it, making jumps with wire and making solder jumps right on the board and a tube was wrong. He says he will try to get it back. I pick it up, bring it home and it works, except some tube rattle which wasnt there before! That was about 3 months ago. Since then things have slowly been getting worse and worse. First the reverb was again periodically not working and now not at all. I now get all kinds of wild pops and static out of nowhere. Sometimes it seems to come from different picking dynamics but other times its just out of the blue.

I feel like its been too long since Ive had this back to bring it back to the shop. I originally got a fairly good deal on the thing but after the initial repair costs Im right back to where a good condition working used one would be worth. Should I call and see if they could get a new board for it and install it? Should I take out the speaker, a Cannibis Rex, and sell it? Try to sell it as is? Take out the guts and use it as a cabinet or sell that?

Last edited:

liv_rong

This is straight into the amp. I switched to the other input in this as well as tried screwing with the reverb knob.

tmac

Goldmember
Platinum Supporting Member
Get someone like Cage to put in a handwired circuit board using the original transformers. Plenty of room in that chassis to make a nice amp out of it.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
It almost seems like your input is overloading or something, considering how your static is coming from your strumming. I'm wondering what mods or tweaks the previous person tried. Fender boards are usually pretty cheap though. They sell fully populated Princeton Reverb boards for like $40 on eBay.

liv_rong

It almost seems like your input is overloading or something, considering how your static is coming from your strumming. I'm wondering what mods or tweaks the previous person tried.
Yeah it does, but what would cause that? And if I just let the amp sit with no playing it will make noise too, just not as bad or frequent.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
Yeah it does, but what would cause that? And if I just let the amp sit with no playing it will make noise too, just not as bad or frequent.
Have you changed out preamp tubes one at a time, and your power tubes as a set, to see if its microphonics?

blues

Silver Supporting Member
Once someone tries to alter the pcb soldering the board and making mods I think you just bought a money pit. More so if the person who did it was a hack.

The seller knew it before he sold to you. It was his money pit first

Like it was said you could let someone gut it and make something else with it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom