Be aware: Strymon customer support

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sosomething, Feb 11, 2015.

1. sosomething

sosomething Member

Let me tell my story, I'll make it brief.

Today I received my Mission EP25k expression pedal from PGS for use with my Strymon Mobius. I bought the 25k because that's the one Mission suggests using with the digital stuff that likes to see higher-value pots.

I get it unpacked, plug it in, struggle a bit to get it set to a parameter and define the range, and the weirdest thing happens: it kind of works, but instead of sweeping through the parameter evenly from heel to toe, it goes up to peak around mid-way through he treadle and then back down again as the pedal is depressed the rest of the way. So for example, if the pedal is defined to sweep from a slow BPM to a quick one from heel to toe, what it actually does is start at, say, 90 BPM, hits 500 BPM at 50%, and then slows back down to 90 BPM by the time the treadle reaches 100%.

Super weird, right?

I figure there must be some setting I'm missing that calibrates the sweep of the pedal, so I call Strymon and talk to a guy named Hugo. We went through all the diagnostics. He was having me check things, I had the baseplate off the expression pedal and was turning the pot by hand, the whole 9 yards. I think I stumped him, because he decided to get with his analog engineer and call me back.

About an hour later, I get the call - it's Hugo. Apparently he and the engineer rigged up an expression pedal with pots ranging all the way up to 100k to try to duplicate my issue, with no luck. They couldn't recreate it. He explains that it must be some voltage issue with the pot in the pedal or something. Super apologetic that they couldn't solve the problem, he tells me to call back if I continue having problems after sorting out the expression pedal with Mission or PGS.

On a wild hunch, I decide to swing by a shop (I was out when the return call came) and pick up a new 1/4" TRS cable before heading home, and guess what?

It worked perfectly.

Something between ring, tip, and sleeve must have shorted out on my old cable, because it turns out that was 100% the issue. Problem utterly solved, and nothing was wrong with either the expression pedal or the Mobius.

I'm just a dumb ass and didn't check to see if my cable was good before calling Strymon, and they went way WAY out of their way to try to help me. It was totally not their fault that they took me at my word when I said I was using a good cable.

So that's my story; the moral of which is to buy with confidence when it comes to Strymon stuff, because even when you use a bad cable it still KIND of works, and their employees will go as far as rigging up test equipment on-demand in order to provide you with support.

2. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

This post is going to sadden the fellows that want to confirm their dislike for Strymon. Darn these positive posts!

I'm sure the phone call must have had a digital sheen that you just couldn't get along with right? Right?

:)

3. D Rock

D Rock Member

Yeah, screw strymon.

Hey wait a minute...

4. krr149

krr149 Member

I once was shipped a Strymon pedal that didn't work properly; Hugo had a return label e-mailed to me within the hour and a replacement pedal in the mail the next day. Great service and a breeze to work with.

5. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Ha! I thought this said :

"Beware Strymon Support!"

Double take required!

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Hahaha...you can play "Digital Sheen" or "sounded digital" Bingo in every Strymon thread!

7. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Not everyone may care for the sound of a particular company's product, but you cannot knock any company who goes the extra mile to support their customers, whether you like the product or not.

8. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Strymon seems like a bunch of oretty good dudes. Unless you want to go to their party. Then you're assed out.

9. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

Even though I did not like my Timeline and returned it within the 100!% satisfaction period; I will be the first to say Hugo provides fantastic CS. My interaction with Strymon was a class act, the pedal surely is too; it just was not for me. No Strymon hate here, I just dont need a pedal with so many parameters. Having twins severly limits my playing time ans as such do not have enought time to be a tweeker; it would have been perfect when I was single.

10. guitar21

guitar21 Member

My bigsky was bought defective, Hugo sent me a new one before I could return mine. No questions asked. Very cool.

11. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

That's a ridiculous and snide assertion.

I have nothing against Strymon the company or any employee at Strymon.

The Strymon pedals I've owned just have not been my cup of tea so I sold them.

Sounds like great customer service.

What's your point?

-bEn r.

12. G22

G22 Member

I've never had to get through Strymon support and have got a lot of their pedals. When I read the post title I was a little scare because I have 3 pedals of them right now!!

13. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

before i started reading about gear online id never met someone that had a cable fail.

myself and all my musician friends used the same cables for years and years.

i dont know what to make of all the cable issues people are always having. we cant keep the simplest part of our rigs working. itd be like racing teams not being able to find a functioning screwdriver, even resorting to making their own, and then haivng that fail too.

god bless us guitarists.

14. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Be aware?
    Beware?

How about hooray, awesome, kudos.

15. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

you should let hugo know what the issue was so he can know another troubleshooting step.

16. metro6audio

metro6audio Supporting Member

This x100000000. The best way for companies to KEEP providing great support is to learn of new data when the customer is able to solve a problem themselves.

17. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

The OP couldn't have known that the TRS cable was defective unless he tried it out on another effect.

Strymon did their best to replicate the problem, without success. That begged the question, what else could have caused the problem?

Something else in the chain? No, because only the Strymon was affected. The expression pedal? Possibly, but without something to test the expression pedal with, the problem would have gone undiagnosed.

If the Strymon wasn't the problem, the problem must have been either the expression pedal or the TRS cable. To solve the problem, it would have been wise to choose the least path of resistance that cost the least money: the TRS cable.

However, it wasn't the OPs fault that he couldn't solve the problem. Was it possible that not knowing "how-to" was embarrassing? You bet.

As one learns to work with troubleshooting of systems, one gains experience handling more complex issues. Simple fixes are always the easiest, but learning to diagnose complex problems takes experience.

That is why there are professional tech support people. Sosomething shouldn't feel bad about this, although he may.

I'd just feel encouraged to know that the experience he gained will help him the next time another problem of like nature arises...

Just so the OP knows, Sosomething has actually helped others see the correct way of solving complex problems, even though his inexperience was a lesson for us. He did solve the problem, and helped us reason for ourselves "how-to". :)

18. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

This....nicely done.

Great to read a serious, mature post about the actual topic vice the need to use the thread as an excuse to fire shots at folks that think differently about the sound of the pedals.

Strymon has excellent customer support....they seem to excel in that role.

19. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

OP, change your title. It is easily misread and needlessly misleading.

I'm glad you had a positive experience with Strymon.

20. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

I think that's the point of his title. The ol' bait n switch