1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Be aware when using a digital mixer via WiFi...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Crowder, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

No sh!t.

Scooter and HoboMan like this.
  2. jmoose

jmoose Member

No... you missed my point or aren't comprehending or something.

I'm not talking about audio stopping or not stopping...

Its about maintaining control over what the mixer is doing vs having it ghostride into oblivion...

That's where the thread started?

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I get your point and I agree... but you seem to completely dismiss all of the GREAT things about the XR18 because of issues that might arise with spotty wifi.
    "The singer went to start singing a song, and nothing came out of the mic. ARRRRHGH! It only took me a second to figure out what was going on, but then I had to get back on the right network and reconnect with the mixer to get the sound happening again." -- I've personally never experienced this, I'm running a Windows 10 laptop and once it connects to the limited network I have created between the laptop, router and XR18 it has been rock solid. Easily over 50+ gigs.
    He seems to allude that because of the wifi issue the singer had no sound. I guess the singer was muted and the rest of the band was not before the laptop went awol?
    I only wanted to reiterate in this thread IF YOUR CONTROL DEVICE BLOWS UP, the XR18 will still be WORKING - you will not automatically loose all sound. But yes, you will lose control of making CHANGES until the control device is reconnected.
    You were the one who brought up massively expensive consoles shitting the bed in major arena's and ALL SOUND BEING LOST.
    capisce?

4. jmoose

jmoose Member

K.

Once someone starts screaming at me I'm out.

Plonk!

5. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

What happened was you got far enough away from your router wifi
    to get sketchy - or when the band started power was sucked down
    and your router temporarily dropped the signal.

I should point out that we use iPads with our QSC Touchmix's
    and have never experienced the problem you had. Keep in mind
    that we use a static IP on both the mixers and the router so the
    opportunity to jump on another connection is close to nil.

Crowder likes this.
  6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Reviving this thread because I experienced my first "lost connection" issue with my XR18 last night.
    Running sound for a band and they are getting ready to start their second set and my laptop says "Lost Connection". All channels are muted except for the music playback.
    I do a reconnect and after a few seconds it says Lost Connection again.

I have started bringing a small 11" laptop that has been sitting in the closet for a few years and looked at it. It was still connected and my tablet was still connected. Reconnected again with my large laptop and everything was good the rest of the night BUT if it hadn't reconnected I had my other laptop and tablet ready to go.

7. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

You need to read the manual. If the mixer choose a different network then you are using DHCP.
    To prevent this choose the Static IP option. Without a deep explanation - what that does is
    make the mixer and the router use only one (Static) IP.

mattball826 likes this.
  8. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Dual bands are nice too, but at times it's better to just use the Static IP option. Use a strong password. 2.4 can be crowded, but the 5G range limitation can be just as sucky trying to mix from more than 50' away. Depends on the venue.

For a major event like our show NYE, it was all hard connected. 800+ people asses to elbows and the clean channel availability was basically nil.

Even the W10 update wanting to do a scheduled restart wasn't a problem. lol

9. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

I'm using dual band NetGear routers in my theater, one for audio (Yamaha or Mackie), and one for my ETC ION.
    Audio on iPad, lighting on my phone.
    Both networks are locked and password protected.
    On apple gear you can set your device to "Ask to join networks", or "Forget this network"
    My problem is usually when I go outside the venue and come back in, or go to another part of the building, your device will jump ship if you don't do that. In some places I'll get a list of 20+ available networks, I just go down the list and hit "forget".

With my lighting, the console hands out the dhcp through a switch to the network, so that rig is run dhcp.
    But I've had mixed results always with wifi, static or dhcp, from power up/plug in scenarios that work and then don't work, to voodoo magic for a gig that works one day and not the next. It can be extremely frustrating.

All in all, I only care about the wifi for soundcheck and focus, that's mostly what I depend on it for.