Be careful buying from Prymaxe

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry for the lengthy delay responding.. No, they never mentioned Paypal claim or the Reverb complaint. Just wish I had left them a negative review before the refund came through.
No problem. I still have heard absolutely nothing from Prymaxe, and it's been well over a month since they received the return. Thankfully, my CC company is taking care of me. Shame though. I don't get why Prymaxe does this kind of stuff. They could have a really successful business if they weren't so negligent.

Matt-2773

Double Platinum Member
I just bought a pettyjohn MkII demo from prymaxe. It popped when I plugged it in (9v Ojai, previously pedal was plugged in and working), and so I requested a return. They refused. I have had to dispute the charge, and I filled a consumer complaint here https://njconsumeraffairs.state.nj.us/. So much of the stuff on their site is now clearance or demo. Buyer beware, you can get a bargain but I think it's now playing the lottery.

It's a bummer, because they were my go to. Have been buying from them since 2013 and was connected by Mike Hermans / Pop into the chemist.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a pettyjohn MkII demo from prymaxe. It popped when I plugged it in (9v Ojai, previously pedal was plugged in and working), and so I requested a return. They refused. I have had to dispute the charge, and I filled a consumer complaint here https://njconsumeraffairs.state.nj.us/. So much of the stuff on their site is now clearance or demo. Buyer beware, you can get a bargain but I think it's now playing the lottery.

It's a bummer, because they were my go to. Have been buying from them since 2013 and was connected by Mike Hermans / Pop into the chemist.

That's terribly unfortunate. I agree it's sort of a lottery. Looking back, not worth ANY of the discounts I've received. I've bought some stuff from Sweetwater and though it's little to no discount (usually none at all) I feel completely secure buying from them. If things aren't working out, I KNOW I'm good and they will take care of whatever the issue is or just refund me without issue or hesitation. Same goes for American Musical Supply and Musician's Friend. All three have been a breeze to work with. Yeah, I saved a few dollars here and there with Prymaxe, but because of their complete lack of the ability to do the right thing, they won't see a single dollar more from me.

I had a good run with them in 2020 and for most of this year as well, but eventually I hit a snag, and I think everyone will eventually.

Gary Ladd

pןɹoʍ ןnɟɹǝpuoʍ ɐ ʇɐɥʍ
Silver Supporting Member
Web-design-and-San-Diego-SEO-Company.png

xevid

I remember looking them up on Reverb recently, and well, their gear had shipping costs around the $1000000 mark. I kid you not.

Seems they effectively only ship to certain countries.

new_music

My bad for not logging onto thegearpage in a very long time... I just had my first and last encounter with Prymaxe. If I had seen this thread, I wouldn't have bought from them.

Mine is a lefty 2021 Fender Jaguar they listed as a "gently used return" in Mint condition. The guitar looks, plays, and sounds great when completely dimed, but... On the main circuit, the tone and both volume pots are miswired. They don't have any taper at all, just a 0/10 behavior, and both volumes act as master volumes - if either one is at 0, there is no sound at all for either pickup. So yeah, it will need rewiring. Other than that, the guitar is great, so I have decided I want to repair it instead of return it.

Having finally caught up reading this thread, the BBB page, and reddit, it sounds like I am the lucky one. I am 3 weeks beyond the original purchase and Prymaxe has only given me crickets and run-around so far. I asked a local tech, who estimated about $100 to rewire the guitar right. I could do it myself, and I find that reasonable if Prymaxe pays for it, so that's what I'm asking for the defect, and I will be persistent.

I wish we could get compensation for the dishonesty. In my case, I figured out after the fact that this "gently used return" wasn't originally sold by Prymaxe in New Jersey. It is in its original Fender box (matching serial # on the box), and the FMIC labels indicate the guitar was originally sent to Europe, not NJ. So there is something pretty hinky going on regarding where Prymaxe sources the gear they sell. They won't tell me why their "return" came out of Europe.

I've communicated through Reverb and direct email with them maybe 2 dozen times now, which is excessive. That's what I call run-around. They asked for pictures of the defective pot behavior. How do you satisfy that? Well I emailed them a video of the pots not graduating, then suddenly cutting to 0.

Fender tells me the guitar was not a B-stock because they only B-stock cosmetic issues, not functional issues, and that Fender does not re-sell defective gear. Somehow, it sounds like Prymaxe looks for busted gear to over-represent the condition and profit between the margins.

Gary Ladd

pןɹoʍ ןnɟɹǝpuoʍ ɐ ʇɐɥʍ
Silver Supporting Member
I'd just let it go, since it's only a pot/wiring issue ~ To be fair this sounds like another FMIC QC problem that's so common nowadays, you're probably better off tossing the stock junk & redoing the electronics to an acceptable standard.

Oh, and drop shipping goods never seen by the retailer is common now ~ I only buy from businesses that are reputable like CME, Wildwood, Axe & You Shall Receive et al. who actually have seen/reviewed the pieces they're selling...

You got off easy, chalk up the $100 to a lesson learned :YinYang

new_music

I'd just let it go, since it's only a pot/wiring issue ~ To be fair this sounds like another FMIC QC problem that's so common nowadays, you're probably better off tossing the stock junk & redoing the electronics to an acceptable standard.

Oh, and drop shipping goods never seen by the retailer is common now ~ I only buy from businesses that are reputable like CME, Wildwood, Axe & You Shall Receive et al. who actually have seen/reviewed the pieces they're selling...

Chalk it up I won't. Sure I can afford it, but that's not the point. If I'm lied to, I want to hold that retailer responsible to help others avoid the same. Apparently enough people just let them get away with it that they thrive in spite of their bad behavior. This one was not drop-shipped, I know it was picked up from Prymaxe's address. So they acquired it (surely knowing it had a problem) to flip without conveying its issues. That's just not ok.

I do agree it was originally a FMIC QC issue, but that ship has sailed. Since Prymaxe resold it, it has no warranty.

Matt-2773

Double Platinum Member
Yeah, we have to hold Prymaxe accountable or they will keep this racket going. It’s annoying and time wasting but ultimately worth it.

tubekingsley

Sorry for the lengthy delay responding.. No, they never mentioned Paypal claim or the Reverb complaint. Just wish I had left them a negative review before the refund came through.
If you filed a PayPal claim, how is it that you didn't receive a ruling from PayPal ?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I ordered a Boss HM-2w from them on August 6. Still nothing. I knew they were on back order at the time. But that was two and a half months ago. Im fairly certain that they have been available since. But all I get to my chat messages is automated responses.

machnes

My favorite part of all of this is the juxtaposition between threads like this (or their BBB page) and the site reviews section on their website.

tubekingsley

I've never seen an example of Prymaxe, drop shipping from the manufacturer.

Gary Ladd

pןɹoʍ ןnɟɹǝpuoʍ ɐ ʇɐɥʍ
Silver Supporting Member
I've never seen an example of Prymaxe, drop shipping from the manufacturer.

Yeah, I misread what was written thinking someone shipped it from the EU on Prymaxe's behalf ~ The OP corrected that, so I guess they haven't jumped on the drop ship bandwagon like so many others...

Then again, maybe if they drop shipped from manufacturers all those "preorder" people would get the product they paid for quicker :dunno

jens5

Gold Supporting Member
Bought a pedal recently from Prymaxe via Reverb. Asked questions. Pulled the trigger. Prymaxe cancelled the order after purchase stating they accidentally priced the pedal to low. Tied my money up for 10 days. Will avoid from now on.

Abandoned

Worship Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again …

I’ve bought many pedals from Prymaxe. I’ve never had an issue.

I placed another order recently and it’ll be in soon-ish. I’ll let you know if anything goes not good but I completely don’t expect it to cuz I’ve never had a problem over several years of buying there.

I am sorry for those who have had issues

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again …

I’ve bought many pedals from Prymaxe. I’ve never had an issue.

I placed another order recently and it’ll be in soon-ish. I’ll let you know if anything goes not good but I completely don’t expect it to cuz I’ve never had a problem over several years of buying there.

I am sorry for those who have had issues
I’m kind of in the same boat. My current order of a Boss HM-2W is way delayed. But for the most part, I’ve done loads of business with them without trouble.

Abandoned

Worship Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I’m kind of in the same boat. My current order of a Boss HM-2W is way delayed. But for the most part, I’ve done loads of business with them without trouble.

Great to know.

Some delays around holidays can be normal.

Mine shipped same day so I’m assuming all is well.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Great to know.

Some delays around holidays can be normal.

Mine shipped same day so I’m assuming all is well.
I ordered on August 6. But I knew they were out of stock and on pre-order. So they obviously get a pass on that. But after three and a half months, it’s a bit annoying. That pedal is in stock at lots of other places.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom