Be careful who you road rage.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wilto, Jul 15, 2019.

1. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Staged or real... that was awesome. :aok

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It's a one way parking lot with slanted spaces. He was about 100' past the parking space and was backing up at high speed trying to snake the space from me. I had no idea what this loonie was doing backing up like that, so I just pulled in the space. Guy was just plain nuts.

Very few people are armed here. Yes, you have a few people (mostly homeless) who carry knives, but guns are extremely rare unless you're in a really bad part of town.
    This incident happened in a very nice part of town and the last thing I expected to see was a 60-something guy, wearing a dress shirt, slacks and expensive shoes jump out of $100,000 Range Rover and threaten to slash my new tires and maybe stick me over a parking space.

If anything ever happens to my tires, I'm showing that video to the cops. I have his threats on video and a nice clear shot of his vehicle and license plates too.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    coltranemi2012 likes this.
  4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Lots of folks go to the car/truck dealership and they pick out a vehicle for all the options, for the overall appearance of the vehicle, interior color, etc.

What they don't do is think about getting a vehicle that will not be easily confused with someone else's ride.

I think a lot of events stem from mistaken identity. The Kook that's about to mess with you sees your Champagne colored Subaru Outback and he remembers you cutting him off 10 minutes ago or remembers you selling him bad drugs. Only, it wasn't you - it was another Outback just like yours.

I just did an 8,000 mile out west road trip, zero road range experiences. The black '06 Saab 9-5 wagon with no rack, 16" wheels not standard fare, looked like no other vehicle we encountered at all in over 18 days. If I can just get it so people don't mistake me for someone else, I think I'm half the way there.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm one of them. Hope to never have to use it, but it's nice to know it's there just in case. There are a lot of nuts out there.

semore butts and FLYING V 83 like this.
  6. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

See :omg

Proof that you should be careful when road raging :aok

semore butts likes this.
  7. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

It seems like every year down here some motoring expert (or new study or other) announces that Aussies are the world’s worse drivers for overall aggression and impolite behaviour compared to Europeans drivers (in particular, “the Germans” of whom it is said slavishly conform to staying out of the fast lane if not going at least 300 kph in a 911 and will let others merge. Aussie drivers mostly can’t “merge”) while conveniently ignoring the horn riding Italians and the entire eastern front.

There might well be something in that because I well remember my first experience in 1989 driving on the LA freeways and being impressed by how polite everybody was. I brought my observations to a couple of locals at a bar who laughed and said “if everyone’s as polite as you seem to think, it’s only because they don’t know if the other guy is packing...”

8. fool

fool Uncouth Savage Gold Supporting Member

People take a lot of things personally because they'd rather not accept the reality that no one else on the road gives a hang about them. Or perhaps they're upset by the reality that no one else on the road gives a hang about them.

apalazzolo likes this.
  9. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

Came in here to post that. Dang, beat me to it!

10. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

There is a scary number of road rage killings unsolved in the DFW area. Driving is a scary proposition here and it's best just to lay extremely low in traffic.

11. KevWind

KevWind Member

Not a lot of it here in wild west where you can assume many are armed . Although the summer tourist season brings with it a small number of turds that try the patience

semore butts likes this.
  12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

That actually happened to me once. Guy pulled out on me, horns blew, fingers went up, and both windows went down as I pulled up next to him at a stoplight.

As I began to speak my mind, he slowly opened his glove compartment, pulled out a revolver and simply showed it to me, and my diatribe instantly changed to contrition. He wins.

semore butts likes this.
  13. Brutus

Brutus Member

You don’t have to stop at the sign. If nothing’s changed in the law, you supposedly can stop within a hundred feet of it or so and not at the sign. That covers for a situation where there are a few cars in a row ahead of you, and you stop behind them. If all is clear when you get to the sign after everybody moves out, you can just keep motoring. I could be wrong about that, but I think that’s the way it used to be.

14. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

My road rage act is to mouth the words "I love you" to the other driver. Works like a charm.

15. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Many, MANY years ago my sister and her crew got road raged. They were in a big ole van, the ole 70's style traveler heading out of Va Beach to a wedding. Some guy came up on them riding their butt and wanted them to get over right away, the van chugged and chugged and finally was able to get over to the right and the guy flies up on them, slows pulls up to the window and flashes his Mortuary Officer badge. They all start LAUGHING hysterically and this really pisses the guy off. You see, inside the van there was a State Trooper, two Sheriffs Deputies and two local cops (Chesapeake). So this guy pulls in front of them and then slows down on their front end (to be a jerk) so they go back out to the left lane, pull up on him and flash THEIR badges, the guy apparently turned blue and quickly got off at the next exit. I would have paid to have seen that!

16. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

You cannot block the sidewalk that the stop sign precedes just as you cannot (legally) stop ahead of the white line or white walkway at intersections. He was riding his bike on the sidewalk, which is legal here. I see so many pedestrians almost get hit by people stopping right before the intersection (where the roads are) and not the sidewalk. But in my situation, I'm pulling onto a major road with lots of oncoming traffic with my view obstructed. I stopped before the sidewalk where the stop sign precedes to make sure no pedestrians are crossing, then pulled forward so I could see, and finally he came along about a minute late and gave me grief. I've noticed this is a problem in so many areas all over the US where views are obstructed at intersections.

Here is the intersection in question:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/West+Maple+Road+&+Thunderbird+Street,+Clawson,+MI+48017/@42.5485092,-83.1539121,3a,75y,185.53h,84.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swCa1sHINTBLzoGrZBV-JHQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x8824c431e1632609:0xa621e59c3bb95806!8m2!3d42.548201!4d-83.1539393

If you pan to the left, that "For Lease" sign, which has been there for years, makes me have to pull forward a bit farther than at the line where the sidewalk is (the thicker white line actually).

Cops will get you for anything around here too because it's ranked the safest city in Michigan and usually in the top 25 in the US. They have nothing else to do.

17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

A road rager with a gun knows (or expects) his quarry also has a gun - so it all cancels out. Brandish a gun - and expect not to survive. What I see, honestly, is the guns almost never come out.

What happened to Saints great Will Smith and his wife in 2016 really is the exception to the rule. Typically there can be a fierce controversy, but the weapons stay out of the way. You can kill people with a pickup a whole lot easier. Check out what that DUI convict in Oklahoma who had just been released from jail just did.

18. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Something I’ve learned in my 40s that I wish I knew in my 20s-30s; nothing is worth allowing rage into one’s life. It always ends badly.

grill and Cliffhydro like this.
  19. b_goatman

b_goatman Silver Supporting Member

What amazes me are the behaviors that lead to road rage - such as riding someone's bumper. Does the tailgater not realize that they may piss off the wrong person doing that?

"Common sense" isn't so common in the driving world, it seems...

20. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Every statute I've actually inspected, says you have to stop X number of feet from the sign or Y number of feet behind the white line on the pavement. If you've got anything as large as a conventional car in front of you won't be within the designated number of feet or yards.

We had a judge trial on a case one time, four way stop sign right angle collision and the "at fault" driver claimed he'd done his stop behind the sign, while the person who stopped in front of him stopped too far into the intersection and so he may as well not have been there at all. And that when he then hit the victim car at right angles it should've been his turn to proceed. The judge rejected the argument - and ruled in effect that you can't "earn" your stop until all the cars in front of you are clear.

I've driven since the 1960s, and don't remember folks doing stops the way you describe but driving conventions do vary a lot region to region in the USA.

Here's a couple of variations: In the Pac Northwest, people will almost stop in the lane of travel before executing a very tight right angle left or right turn. Perhaps because sometimes the verge of the road is sketchy and/or the drive they're turning into is super narrow - but they do it when they don't need to also. Conversely they will pull out in front of or across the path of fast moving through traffic as though it wasn't even coming at them. If you did this kind of "stuff" down in the Deep South, some boys would likely get upset with you and maybe force you off the pavement or at least curse you out. And the funny thing is, the driveways and roads of the two areas are a lot alike.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019