• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Be Nice...

Jeremy_Green

... to yourself. This isn't easy.

Every day, I see people on here (and in my own practice room) being really hard on themselves. It's one of the curses of learning any instrument. It doesn't make it easier, that the internet seems chock full of amazing players. But let's all remember - they are not sharing their worst - they are showcasing their best, most rehearsed pieces.

This guitar thing is not easy and it takes a lifetime to get anywhere near the highest levels. So just cozy up to the idea that you will NEVER truly be at a level you are 'happy' with. The weird thing is: THAT, right there, is oddly the true gift in this endeavour. It DOES take a lifetime and that is in fact a very good thing. I know we all want things quicker but honestly, we should be SO thankful that this is true, especially at a time like now. Because I ask myself, what the hell else would I be doing with my extra time?? TV?? Puttering around?? I'd honestly, lose it.

So be nice! You are not alone.

A little Monday love for ya all. Heaven knows we all could use it.

Cheers.

SloeGin

This guitar thing is not easy and it takes a lifetime to get anywhere near the highest levels.
Nice post!
However examples enough of people who were/are at a young age at top level.
Just to name a few very well known players ... Randy Rhoads, Slash, Alexi Laiho, Zakk Wylde (who was 19 when he joined Ozzy) ....

Jeremy_Green

Nice post!
However examples enough of people who were/are at a young age at top level.
Just to name a few very well known players ... Randy Rhoads, Slash, Alexi Laiho, Zakk Wylde (who was 19 when he joined Ozzy) ....
sure, but ask them to play bebop jazz, or country or classical and how would they do? Likely not amazing right? We ALL have things we can’t do that we likely want to. I know Randy dreamed of being a better classical player for example.

my post is not about specific mastery, or achievement. It’s about personal growth and no player is exempt from that Struggle.

Sayin?

troyguitar

I am always comforted to hear amazing players talk about their playing in the same way that I do - that they still have an endless list of things to work on. Eric Johnson, Andy Timmons, pretty much everyone great is like that.

Jeremy_Green

I am always comforted to hear amazing players talk about their playing in the same way that I do - that they still have an endless list of things to work on. Eric Johnson, Andy Timmons, pretty much everyone great is like that.
yup. Pretty much Every truly great player I have worked with, feels they have a long way to go. The better you get, the more acutely aware you become of your weaknesses.

vintagelove

sure, but ask them to play bebop jazz, or country or classical and how would they do? Likely not amazing right? We ALL have things we can’t do that we likely want to. I know Randy dreamed of being a better classical player for example.

my post is not about specific mastery, or achievement. It’s about personal growth and no player is exempt from that Struggle.

Sayin?
This is exactly true.

On top of that, think of how much BS you read on the Internet nowadays. Humans have a flair for embellishment, and "hero worship". Try to keep this in mind whenever reading stories about musicians from the past.

cram

Musical performance is my favorite thing because it's open and honest; there's only so much you can hide or fake. I love that about certain things in life.
This provides a lot of satisfaction when you do dedicate work toward a musical goal and make gains that approach a level of comfort or competency. So gratifying!

The even better/best part of it all - like most things in life, the foundation you build provides exponential possibilities.

With all that in hand - sort yerself out! :)
Because it's the best feeling!

Jeremy_Green

Musical performance is my favorite thing because it's open and honest; there's only so much you can hide or fake. I love that about certain things in life.
This provides a lot of satisfaction when you do dedicate work toward a musical goal and make gains that approach a level of comfort or competency. So gratifying!

The even better/best part of it all - like most things in life, the foundation you build provides exponential possibilities.

With all that in hand - sort yerself out! :)
Because it's the best feeling!
Agreed, sink or swim it is always exhilerating being in the moment and playing from there. This ties into the whole being present type ideas. This sort of approach, really speaks to me. I tend to have a very active, busy mind. SO learning to direct that and train it to focus has been huge for me.

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
Well, the great thing about music (at least the styles represented on TGP) is that you don't have to be that good, just good enough. Music is often about the intangibles. How to you quantify "vibe" for example? We revere Miles Davis yet he fluffed plenty of notes. Wynton Marsalis OTOH is an exceptional technician who plays with a lot of heart too. Yet at the end of the day we respect Wynton but we revere Miles. Some of us are "musicians" (we play what someone else wants) while some of us are "artists" (we play what we want.) Some of us are both. Music isn't an athletic event. There's room for everybody as long as you've got something to say and enough technique to get it across. My two cents FWIW.

Trending Topics