Be the voice of reason for this 1968 maple cap tele

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by scottcw, Jan 5, 2020.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

blad51 likes this.
  2. Amp_Addicted

Amp_Addicted Member

If you are asking to be talked out of a guitar, that usually means you have talked yourself out of buying the guitar. At $7k, it's bit more than I would want to pay, but I usually go after vintage instruments with issues such as a refret or a refinished body. I am a vintage guitar bottom feeder because I like to change stuff on guitars that make them lose value(like a 4 way switch on a Telecaster). From what I can tell from the pictures, it looks original. I have done a few visits to Real Guitars over the decades. I don't know if he still has a shop there, but Gary Brawer is a super solid luthier and I would take his word on an instrument's authenticity. The stock Tele pickups from 65-68 are really great sounding, and this guitar has what look to be original pickups. I am not sure what mod was done to the wiring, but a 68 Tele should have a 3 way switch with one cap for the tone control and one cap for treble bleed. Hopefully this person didn't go back to the 50's style with a bridge/neck/neck with treble rolloff cap, or the wiring that made Jimi Hendrix think the Telecaster only had one good sound(the bridge)

I have long regretted selling my 68 Tele, but I just liked the feel of my 72 more. Both necks needed a refret, so I sold the 68 to get the 72 up and running. I still have the 72, but it now has a set of pickups from 66(yes those pickups from this era are really stellar-Strats too) If you don't have the liquid cash available, or you don't want to tighten your belt to make this guitar less of fantasy, then by all means don't buy it. You could always make an offer on it, but the seller seems fairly knowledgeable about what they are selling. $7k for a 99% original 2nd owner 68 Tele in excellent condition seems reasonable. Go play it and see if you want to make the leap.

3. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

First question, price and condition aside, - is it the right guitar for you?

Would it constitute the best tele (or other "t-style") you could play?

For me now, these need to align for a guitar to be a contender, even on great deals:
    - Is the neck profile *perfect* (or even inspiring) for you?
    - Is the weight in your range?
    - If you gig your guitars, would you actually play it out?

I bought my 68 Esquire for a fraction because it needed a refret and had a lipstick (original danelectro) in the neck. (no rout, great sound!). It was owned by a very notable player and now has Jumbo frets, which beefed up the neck feel It's not a museum piece and if it wasn't for Kelly Pines I'd play it more. But it checks the boxes so it stays...

There are deals aplenty out there, so grab those right for you.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

$7000 for a guitar worth about $8k or so. Decent cash deal.

5. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

if it's anything like the '68 maple cap I played some time ago, it will be a stone-cold killer of a great guitar.

6. indexless

indexless Member

I've been watching this one as well, Gray Brewer is the bomb for set ups. The only thing not mentioned is the weight, my 68 was really heavy

7. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

I would buy that, but I have a maple cap '67 so… Those are fantastic guitars, the pickups are perfect in that era IMHO.
    The caps look legit, even the way they're placed, unless they're the repros sold by Luxe Radio.
    Frets look a bit on the low side, so a refret may be in order, unless you prefer low, small vintage frets.

8. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

I hate the electronics in these guitars. 1meg pots AND a treble cap.

Thankfully, that's easy to change.

And yeah, weight.

woof* and Chris Scott like this.
  9. scottcw

Seller claims weight is right around 7 lbs. I asked him to confirm the values on the pots.

10. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Good weight. Pots are going to be dated '66, if they're stock.

indexless likes this.
  11. scottcw

The ad says, "The caps are the only part if the instrument that have been replaced. Volume pot is ‘67, tone pot is a ‘66."

12. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Same here. I want issues that drop the value a lot, especially worn or changed frets, changed electronics, routs under the pickguard...
    They guitar seems to check out and would be a stellar piece for that late 60s Tele vibe.

13. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Supporting Member

Looks like a lot to like there.

14. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

Do. It.

It's a fine looking Tele.

15. scottcw

I decided to pass. The owner can't answer some basic questions.

16. indexless

indexless Member

7 pounds for a 68? it might be the lightest one ever, I'm in the area if you want me to put hands on it....most likely pass

17. cap217

cap217 Member

I have a 68 that is 7lb. Ash. Great guitar. Mine now had the pots swapped to modern vs the old 1 meg. Unplayable with a 1 meg.

indexless likes this.
  18. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

Like an ice pick to the forehead....

19. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Supporting Member

I've got a 7 lb. '68, too (well, maybe '69, since the body doesn't have the diagonal channel -- but the neck is Nov '68, just like the one in the OP). Weights were going up fast by then, but there are still plenty that are very comfortable.

But if the seller can't or won't address questions, it may well be time to move on.

indexless likes this.
  20. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

Especially with the bright cap, taper is wrong and the bridge pickup is way too brittle.
    Easy to find a 250k Stackpole and rewire properly, the pickups of this era are usually great, but have a bad rep because of the 1MEG volume.