1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Beam Blocker - any thoughts, opinions or experience?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by feloniuspunk, Oct 10, 2006.

1. feloniuspunk

feloniuspunk Member

Here is the link. I bought one but haven't installed it yet. Makes sense, but the sound will be the proof. I'll let you know once I install and test it. I got the 12" model and will install it on my Traynor YCV50BLUE.

http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I just installed one on my Matchless Chieftain 1x12 combo, and I thought it worked very well at my gig this past weekend...

3. Chandler

Chandler Member

Love them. I have them on all of my single speaker combos.

4. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Just saw this post and am interested in opinions, too.

Incidentally, I have a post under Amps & Cabs with a question about installing the Weber Beam Blockers.

5. pm81

pm81 Member

Worked well for me

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

They are so cheap, wtf, try them. I did, I'm happy with them. While I was at it, I bought the Weber biasing tool. I'm also delighted with that.

7. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

8. samhill

samhill Member

9. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The only issue with these things is you can not put a mic onto the cone anymore, so if that is your preference, it will interfer. Something that works just as well of course is a thin blacket over the front of the amplifier. A cool and fun way to make a blanket not look dumb is to paint your band name on it and make it look artistic.

10. Rossl

Rossl Member

I had these in a Marshall 100 combo (2 X12 Club and Country with Mackenzie speakers). I could hear them make a slight clicking sound as a picked a note. It sounded like they were flexing, or maybe being pushed out as a note was played.

Ted said he never had a problem like this.

I tried removing and re-installing them, re-tightening, but they didn't work for me.

11. shakti

shakti Member

Have them in all of my amps/cabs. Love them.

I don't think a blanket will do the same trick. The key here is the dispersion of frequencies, not just toning down the high ones.

I've experiences the clicking once, on my Boogie Mk I combo. The speaker is front mounted, so I had to put the beam blocker over the front of the speaker, over the front gasket of the speaker. I think the clicking sound came from the beam blocker touching the wicker cane grille, but I'm not sure. I haven't had time adjusting it, but I'm certain I could track it down and muffle/rmove the clicking with very simple measures. I haven't heard a single clicking sound from any of the rear mounting cabs I've used them in.

12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Put one on a terrible sounding combo and it made it MUCH better. Great dispersion of the high end, made it sound livelier but not harsh on-axis.

Miking them...well if you like the sound you get from the dustcap, you won't get that sound anymore. You can still mic the cone. So with V30's, I like to stick a mic dead center...that won't work. But a T75, I like to mic the cone, so that's fine.

13. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I just put some clear duct tape on one amp's grill. It works well. Not incredibly pretty, but easy to install.