BeamBlocker - does anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denny, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Does it work? What's it made from? I just hate killing the folks in the front row.

Denny

2. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    www.tedweber.com

Did a fest gig Sunday. My guitar/amp tech sat 30 feet straight downwind of my 2 Beamblocked EVM12Ls and 100 watt Egnater head.

He said I was TOO LOUD ***but*** it was a "frequency balanced, non-ice-picky" too loud.

Get some, they're cheap. You can usually dump any amp stands too. Jeff

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

No reason to spend money on that gadget...and then take the time and pain to install...

Before I used my plexi-panels in front, I simply used square sections of duct tape over my Twin's cones. Worked great. You could honestly tell a difference.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

For sure. Beam Blockers though are for the guys who don't want duct tape residue on their grill cloth... Then there's gaffer's tape with no residue of course.. .Or just masking tape... I like shields a lot! Before shields there were blankets! ;) Carry on

ERIC

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I use 'em. They're classy-looking (even though they're not usually seen), and made from quality parts: basically a rouded diffuser, that looks like a large speaker dustcap, solidly mounted on a flattened metal cross piece. Ted Weber has well-engineered designs.

I'll back up Jeff on the amp stand issue: you'll find the sweet spot for listening to your speaker has expanded quite a bit. Don't expect that the highs will be attenuated, though, they're just spread around more evenly.

Note that duct tape's adhesive rapidly degrades to a gooey, dusty mess. Not 'zactly what I'd want on my cabinet grill, or on my hands as I try to press it back down in place. To each his own! :angel

- T

6. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

i absolutely love 'em. no change of tone at all and no more on-axis beaming. wider sweet spot on stage, which is a good thing for me. hear yourself better represented in the house mix. dirt cheap. totally a win-win situation.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Now we're getting creative!! How 'bout Budman stickers I still have from my collection from when I was 8 ? Will they work? Just having fun with this.. I think the Beam Blockers are a fine solution . So are THD's cabinets .. Many people would much rather not mark up their grillcloth or cabs.. Then again , the 4x12 I used for years, and still have , is a 70's Marshall that looks like a tiger cub scratched for a week on the grillcloth. On a nice cab I wouldn't use tape or glue! I have a Tremoverb Combo with this big stain on the grillcloth and I can't get it off so some day I need to take the whole cloth off and soak it ... some day

ERIC

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

Of course the original JMI AC30 had a vertical wooden plank running across both speakers. I wonder how much this would have diffused the sound. The reissues (whether UK or China) don't have this.

9. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I dig the pair that are on my 6L6/2x12 combo - to me, they really seem to aid in balancing freqs. I'll buy more for other rigs.

10. mmorse

mmorse Member

Got a pair for my 212. They work well.

11. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

They work as advertised. Work well, too. The only thing is, it would be nice if Ted supllied extra washers to match the metal height/ thickness of the BmBlkr. Just two is all... A pain to find material the approx gauge of the metal.

12. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I'd have thought a cup shape would work better at dispersing the frequencies more evenly than a flat piece of wood or duct tape, or is there no noticeable difference.

These BB look pretty easy to make...any suggestions on what parts to buy from hardware etc?

13. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

They were pretty affordable, 15 bucks or something. Not the best thing since sliced bread, but they do splash the sound around a little bit, and reduce some twingey pressure for those in the impact zone. I was cautioned about some difficulty miking the cab with beam blockers installed, but it seems to work just fine. Of course I'm just a local hack doing what local hacks do, not recording at the Village through a Trident A-range or anything. But the beam blocker concept is a good one, and bone easy if your not Mr. Handy with other methods. 100% reversible fun. I could use another pair or two. So get em, hate em, sell them cheap to me.

14. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I actually made some "beamblockers" from some stuff at the dollar store- no lie- they are in my cab right now- two cheap, metal ladles...broke off the spot welded handles so I have the "blocker" part- a package of 12" hacksaw blades- with wire cutters< I made two small cuts on both sides of the metal cup- with a pair of pliers, bent the seperated pieces I cut out to form tabs- tried super-gluing the blade to the tabs and didn't work so I used a couple metal screws...screwed the blade to the cup- primed the piece, painted it flat black, installed it in front of two of my speakers (Screaming Eagles) and they do the trick- the holes on the end of a hacksaw blade are the perfect length between 12" speakers- be sure to measure and mark where the cup fits ofer the cone-

they are rounder than Weber's "flat" blockers...like a ladle is...but they cover the cone perfectly and disperse the way they are supposed to-

total for two = $3...$5 if you need paint-

15. 59model

59model Member

I like the Webers cause their cheap and disperse the sound correctly even if the amp is near your knees, no dark sounds standing higher than the amp and no painful highs pointing the amp straight at you. Sure you could save pennies by making your own, but how many do you really need?

16. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Bingo. Plus I like the idea of not having something cheesy like tape or whatever on the grillcloth. My time is worth more than 2 of those cost and I know it would take me awhile to get em right.

I'm happy paying ted for them.

17. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

well, I like making things and they mount inside just like Teds do...take the speaker out, put blocker between speaker and baffle, done- and $3 compared to $38 + shipping? I'm a teacher...'nuff said-

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I just use speaker dust caps just like Ted..they're like 25 cents each.

19. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Long as it works for you, that's all that matters.

20. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

a beamblocker in my 1x12 practice amp, and it works good for me. I use the amp on a stand.. so knocking those HF down while in front of the amp works. I dont like brittle highs. this beamblocker sure helped me.