Beano Boost - opinions please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daphil_1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hey all - as above, just looking for some collective experiences with teh analogman beano boost. Its one of those pedals I have long wanted to try - but the whole treble boost thing has never been a path I have walked!

I am partic interested in whether you guys use it as a lead or rhythem pedal or a "leave on all the time" ala clean boost style pedal.

Cheers,

Phil.

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have a Dallas Rangemaster clone. I love it for lead boosts and such but I don't thinnk I'd like it on all the time... too much treble.

3. somedude

somedude Member

I liked it as a lead pedal... very raw sounding compared to most (particularily TS style) overdrives.

As an rhythm OD I found it dumped too much bottom end.

4. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've owned two. the first one i had seemed a little thin and didn't have a ton of volume on tap so i sold it. i felt i didn't give it much of a chance so i bought another one. this time the beano sounded really thick and musical and has a ton of volume on tap - i couldn't be happier. i mostly use it for leads (either driving a cranked amp or driving an OD when going into a cleaner amp) and it really, really cuts through a mix. i also use it for some rhythm parts but kind of sparingly. i use it on almost all my leads now...

it definitely could be a "leave on all the time pedal" 'cause it cleans up so well at the volume knob. however, i think if you left in on all the time it might start to sound a little old as it's got a very heavy mid-range...

5. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

heavy mid range is what my ampeg vt-22 is all about...this could be quite a combo. This is prob against forum rules - but I have a mint OCD v3 if anyone is up for a trade on a beano!

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

7. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Don't overlook the Keeley Java Boost. I haven't tried a Beano Boost, but I did replace a Retroman Beano (which I really liked) with the JB, and really appreciate the added versatilty. It has since become my most used pedal.

8. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i have a java boost as well as the beano. both are great - i find the java can be a bit smoother and the Beano to be a little bit more raw (in a good way). to my ears, the beano seems to let the characteristics of the guitar and amp show through a little more and can get louder. i found that i didn't use the tone knob on the java as much as i thought i would and kept the tone pot all the way up on it at all times.

for the price and build quality, i think the beano boost is very hard to beat. java is built well too, but i was especially impressed with the hand-built, non-PCB work in the Beano.

9. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

I am feeling the beano might be the go...

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

The Analogman Beano Boost is the BEST pedal I have ever bought. Its great for ton of stacking reasons, and if you know how to use it with your volume knob ( VERY VERY IMPORTANT ) you can use it for just about anything.

I dont even use the treble boost much... I like the low and mid settings.

Best pedal I have ever bought. ;) Thumbs way up :AOK

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I have the Sun Lion (Sun Face and Beano Boost in 1) and I find it does everything AM says it does. Plus, as mentioned it does have the voicing switch. AM makes great stuff and does good work IMHO. (I also have his Chorus and modded Boss Tremolo, Maxon Delay and Small Stone)