• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

BearFoot Effects Aussie TB#8!

NakedintheRain wrote a really great review up there above, I suspect my review this time is going to be a little less in depth and very to the point (less tech, more raw opinion). I'm going to take a different tack: pedals mentioned from least enjoyable to most enjoyable.

Little Red Trebler - It adds a bit more top end. I have no idea where I would use this. You could quite easily turn your treble up on your amp. If I wanted vastly different EQ options I'd get use a full EQ pedal. I didn't spend long with this because frankly it wasn't fun.

Blueberry Bass OD - Caveat: I didn't have my bass in the house, so just tried on guitar. I didn't find this terribly inspiring. It is a bass OD I suppose but if I'm going to use dirt on bass I'd go for something more definitive - fuzz, most likely a muff (think Exit Music or national Anthem by Radiohead as my fuzz bass references) but I guess this could be a good foundation for a slightly dirty bass tone.

Model Hs - Aaagh! I want to love any Hiwatt pedal. I loved the old #1 Catalinbread WIIO i had. BUT I haven't loved any of the H pedals from Bearfoot. It might be part of trying to capture the Hiwatt sound but it seems EQ'd to be a little boxy and mid-scooped. Didn't quite gel with me. I like the gain range but I struggled to get a tone that tickled my spuds.

Sparkling Yellow OD3 - I think this was an improvement on the 2 previous SYODs. I found this quite versatile and I could see this working in a lot of people's rigs. It's not quite my thing ultimately because the last pedal was what I spent this week really getting into:

Uber Bee - This is the second (possibly third) time I've had a Bearfoot tourbox pedal that screams out for me to buy it, the previous ones being The Honey Beest and Mint Green Mini Vibe. The beauty of the Bees is a very amp-like flub, a loose-ish gain structure, and they seem to suit the tone of my gear and add a delicious tone to everything, whether close to clean boosting or as fuzzy schussing up a lead.

I like dirt pedals that are touch dynamic, add sustain with those harmonic overtones. The Uber has it in spades and is incredibly versatile. In fact, compared to a basic Honey Bee, the only downfall of the Uber is that it could take a while to find your real sweet spots. I'd be happy to get a Bee but I think I'll finally break down and pick up a Beest. While the Uber has enough gain, and extra range on the clean side, I like the extra saturation the Beest offers.

The closest pedal to the Uber that I won is the Skreddy Screwdriver, in that it does a good light OD/cleanish boost but can be dialled up to dirty fuzz. The Skreddy is much tighter in its gain and sounds more hi-fi and polite. The Uber is messier and better for it. Flat out, love this one.

Thanks Grant & Donner. The tourbox works and now I have to get a Bee or Beest or Uber or all of them. Dammit.

The pedals are now continuing their tour across the Nullarbor now to jdavies in my old stomping ground of Greenwood, WA.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
NakedintheRain wrote a really great review up there above, I suspect my review this time is going to be a little less in depth and very to the point (less tech, more raw opinion). I'm going to take a different tack: pedals mentioned from least enjoyable to most enjoyable.

Little Red Trebler - It adds a bit more top end. I have no idea where I would use this. You could quite easily turn your treble up on your amp. If I wanted vastly different EQ options I'd get use a full EQ pedal. I didn't spend long with this because frankly it wasn't fun.

Blueberry Bass OD - Caveat: I didn't have my bass in the house, so just tried on guitar. I didn't find this terribly inspiring. It is a bass OD I suppose but if I'm going to use dirt on bass I'd go for something more definitive - fuzz, most likely a muff (think Exit Music or national Anthem by Radiohead as my fuzz bass references) but I guess this could be a good foundation for a slightly dirty bass tone.

Model Hs - Aaagh! I want to love any Hiwatt pedal. I loved the old #1 Catalinbread WIIO i had. BUT I haven't loved any of the H pedals from Bearfoot. It might be part of trying to capture the Hiwatt sound but it seems EQ'd to be a little boxy and mid-scooped. Didn't quite gel with me. I like the gain range but I struggled to get a tone that tickled my spuds.

Sparkling Yellow OD3 - I think this was an improvement on the 2 previous SYODs. I found this quite versatile and I could see this working in a lot of people's rigs. It's not quite my thing ultimately because the last pedal was what I spent this week really getting into:

Uber Bee - This is the second (possibly third) time I've had a Bearfoot tourbox pedal that screams out for me to buy it, the previous ones being The Honey Beest and Mint Green Mini Vibe. The beauty of the Bees is a very amp-like flub, a loose-ish gain structure, and they seem to suit the tone of my gear and add a delicious tone to everything, whether close to clean boosting or as fuzzy schussing up a lead.

I like dirt pedals that are touch dynamic, add sustain with those harmonic overtones. The Uber has it in spades and is incredibly versatile. In fact, compared to a basic Honey Bee, the only downfall of the Uber is that it could take a while to find your real sweet spots. I'd be happy to get a Bee but I think I'll finally break down and pick up a Beest. While the Uber has enough gain, and extra range on the clean side, I like the extra saturation the Beest offers.

The closest pedal to the Uber that I won is the Skreddy Screwdriver, in that it does a good light OD/cleanish boost but can be dialled up to dirty fuzz. The Skreddy is much tighter in its gain and sounds more hi-fi and polite. The Uber is messier and better for it. Flat out, love this one.

Thanks Grant & Donner. The tourbox works and now I have to get a Bee or Beest or Uber or all of them. Dammit.

The pedals are now continuing their tour across the Nullarbor now to jdavies in my old stomping ground of Greenwood, WA.
Cheers Dan!

Frosted Glass

Sorry for the delay;

Little Red Trebler: I loved this pedal. As others have noted, turning it on sounded like you had re routed the signal to go into the bright input of the fender Bassman I was testing it with. Just like that notoriously finicky input, it didn't really play well with gain pedals and IMO is best suited to taking a SC guitar to jangly cleans at the stomp of a switch.

SYOD3: I had a SYOD1 on my board for a few years. What this pedal told me was I made the wrong call in getting the 1 and the 2 really played better with my strat and amp. It's a nice upgrade to have both 1/2 options in one unit but I'd imagine most people would quickly choose they're favourite flavour and stick with it. This pedal is a nice compliment to a honey bee; with its tonal focus in the higher mids that are scooped out of the Bee it stacks well. It's tighter, more saturated, gainier. It's a good one.

Über bee: This is the best Bee I've tried, which includes an early bjfe I had a few years ago, Honey Beatch, and an Honey Beest in an earlier tour box. This pedal really has addressed the shortcomings of the Bee, adding more gain but keeping the essential Bee sag. This is an awesome ratty old overdrive that you should buy.

Model Hs: I recall having a 3 knob model H a few years back and really liking it, but this pedal didn't do much for me. Sounded a bit too congested and like a distortion pedal compared to its siblings.

Thanks for letting me take part:aok

Grant Ferstat

Sorry for the delay;

Little Red Trebler: I loved this pedal. As others have noted, turning it on sounded like you had re routed the signal to go into the bright input of the fender Bassman I was testing it with. Just like that notoriously finicky input, it didn't really play well with gain pedals and IMO is best suited to taking a SC guitar to jangly cleans at the stomp of a switch.

SYOD3: I had a SYOD1 on my board for a few years. What this pedal told me was I made the wrong call in getting the 1 and the 2 really played better with my strat and amp. It's a nice upgrade to have both 1/2 options in one unit but I'd imagine most people would quickly choose they're favourite flavour and stick with it. This pedal is a nice compliment to a honey bee; with its tonal focus in the higher mids that are scooped out of the Bee it stacks well. It's tighter, more saturated, gainier. It's a good one.

Über bee: This is the best Bee I've tried, which includes an early bjfe I had a few years ago, Honey Beatch, and an Honey Beest in an earlier tour box. This pedal really has addressed the shortcomings of the Bee, adding more gain but keeping the essential Bee sag. This is an awesome ratty old overdrive that you should buy.

Model Hs: I recall having a 3 knob model H a few years back and really liking it, but this pedal didn't do much for me. Sounded a bit too congested and like a distortion pedal compared to its siblings.

Thanks for letting me take part:aok

No worries at all and thanks for the feedback!

jdavies

Quick first impression report:
I will note I have a very distinct set of gear carefully chosen over a long period of time with a particular sound I'm listening for( and am pretty happy with) eg a G &L fallout with a Kinman P90 neck and a JB Duncan bridge into a 15W Valvetone Tio via an Eventide H9, a Bondi Sick As or Bearfoot G and either a Menatone Dover Drive or Honey Beest
Little Red Trebler: I liked how this pedal added extra jangle for cleanish rhythm sounds. Great for switching between that and a duller sound but not too different from turning up the treble on my amp - don't really need this to be switchable but it did amend my usual amp treble settings!
SYOD3: adds a bright crunchiness to my sound which really cuts through and sits in its own space with a particular character. I have an SYOD1 already but this seems to add a light woody-ness? to the tone - No wait its a biscuit crunch like an Anzac crossed with a drumstick cone.....maybe...
Über bee: I like the bee sound and elements of it are in the colour of tone I am going for. I like the Beest set for singing sustain which this doesn't quite match but I might have to try a few more mid drive settings.
Model Hs: This was pretty good for clarinet like square wave sounds with max gain but haven't found a rhythm crunch or lighter edge sound that suits me yet but I can see how it would work for others
Blueberry Bass OD Only tried on guitar so far - like a soft fuzz with extended dynamic range and that square wave richness. Doesn't suit my guitar rig but could sound great on Bass when I get a chance.

Jeremy

7thString

Pedals are now with me, was great to meet and talk gear with Jeremy, thanks mate! The box is managing to hold itself together for the home straight :)
Will post my findings soon! Cheers for sorting everything Realfi.

Grant Ferstat

Quick first impression report:
I will note I have a very distinct set of gear carefully chosen over a long period of time with a particular sound I'm listening for( and am pretty happy with) eg a G &L fallout with a Kinman P90 neck and a JB Duncan bridge into a 15W Valvetone Tio via an Eventide H9, a Bondi Sick As or Bearfoot G and either a Menatone Dover Drive or Honey Beest
Little Red Trebler: I liked how this pedal added extra jangle for cleanish rhythm sounds. Great for switching between that and a duller sound but not too different from turning up the treble on my amp - don't really need this to be switchable but it did amend my usual amp treble settings!
SYOD3: adds a bright crunchiness to my sound which really cuts through and sits in its own space with a particular character. I have an SYOD1 already but this seems to add a light woody-ness? to the tone - No wait its a biscuit crunch like an Anzac crossed with a drumstick cone.....maybe...
Über bee: I like the bee sound and elements of it are in the colour of tone I am going for. I like the Beest set for singing sustain which this doesn't quite match but I might have to try a few more mid drive settings.
Model Hs: This was pretty good for clarinet like square wave sounds with max gain but haven't found a rhythm crunch or lighter edge sound that suits me yet but I can see how it would work for others
Blueberry Bass OD Only tried on guitar so far - like a soft fuzz with extended dynamic range and that square wave richness. Doesn't suit my guitar rig but could sound great on Bass when I get a chance.

Jeremy

Pedals are now with me, was great to meet and talk gear with Jeremy, thanks mate! The box is managing to hold itself together for the home straight :)
Will post my findings soon! Cheers for sorting everything Realfi.
Thanks for the reviews/feedback and keeping us in the loop guys..

7thString

Hey guys, first tour box for me, was great to be a part of it. Test rig was a HSS strat with fender cs69's in neck and middle and a SD JB in the bridge through a 4x10 Bassman reissue with stock Jensens (finally wearing in) and some half decent tubes. Its worth noting that I really like this amp's basic clean and edge of breakup tone, and it takes mid-heavy OD's and boosts nicely. I kept the amp below breakup when I was testing the Bearfoots, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked as stand-alone drives. (Hs, Uber, OD3)

Little Red Trebler
First off, the slightly enigmatic trebler. I liked this pedal for doing exactly as it says in a very nice way. The range of the knob seemed fairly small and I had it dimed most of the time. On cleans, I found it not so useful, but with some gain stacked into it (the Hs in this case) it really showed its potential to give a just a bit more cut when you need it, say if your solo seems just a bit buried in the mix and you need to add some presence.

Blueberry Bass OD

As was the case with most of those before me, I don't own a bass so the Blueberry was subject to 6-string analysis only. I did try it with my POG using the low octave, and it had a nice and natural sounding breakup, but I suspect it needed the added signal strength from a bass to really shine. With the tone knob to the left, it added some really tasty lows going into the Sparkling Yellow without getting woofy.

Model Hs

The Hs was definitely my favourite of the bunch, particular with the bridge humbucker. I immediately noticed how quiet it was with the drive all the way up, and I loved how it boosted with the Uber / Yellow stacked into it. At high gain settings, it had a beautiful raspy, kinda Beatles (think She's So Heavy) crunch to it without getting fizzy at all. It got into smooth fuzzy territory with the Uber Bee goosing it as well.

Sparkling Yellow OD3 (did someone gig this and forget to remove the velcro or was it on there from the start? lol)
I liked the versatility and transparency of the OD3, and it really let the strat neck tone come through. It also cleaned up in very very cool way, so I could pick clean notes on the low E and then strum and it would crunch hard with plenty of attack. This made it sound kinda Marshally to me which was great. Definitely one of the most dynamic dirt pedals I've had the pleasure of playing.

Uber Bee

Once again, I really liked the transparency of the Uber Bee, and had a difficult time deciding which I preferred out of this or the Yellow as a primary OD. The gain range was really nice which made it an awesome stand-alone drive. My favourite setting was with the drive up most of the way and the tone slightly to the right, nature knob in the middle. I would have loved to gig this pedal, and all the dirt i would ever need for a gig could be found in stacking the sparkling yellow into the uber bee. This was my favourite combination overall.

Thanks fellas

Grant Ferstat

Hey guys, first tour box for me, was great to be a part of it. Test rig was a HSS strat with fender cs69's in neck and middle and a SD JB in the bridge through a 4x10 Bassman reissue with stock Jensens (finally wearing in) and some half decent tubes. Its worth noting that I really like this amp's basic clean and edge of breakup tone, and it takes mid-heavy OD's and boosts nicely. I kept the amp below breakup when I was testing the Bearfoots, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked as stand-alone drives. (Hs, Uber, OD3)

Little Red Trebler
First off, the slightly enigmatic trebler. I liked this pedal for doing exactly as it says in a very nice way. The range of the knob seemed fairly small and I had it dimed most of the time. On cleans, I found it not so useful, but with some gain stacked into it (the Hs in this case) it really showed its potential to give a just a bit more cut when you need it, say if your solo seems just a bit buried in the mix and you need to add some presence.

Blueberry Bass OD

As was the case with most of those before me, I don't own a bass so the Blueberry was subject to 6-string analysis only. I did try it with my POG using the low octave, and it had a nice and natural sounding breakup, but I suspect it needed the added signal strength from a bass to really shine. With the tone knob to the left, it added some really tasty lows going into the Sparkling Yellow without getting woofy.

Model Hs

The Hs was definitely my favourite of the bunch, particular with the bridge humbucker. I immediately noticed how quiet it was with the drive all the way up, and I loved how it boosted with the Uber / Yellow stacked into it. At high gain settings, it had a beautiful raspy, kinda Beatles (think She's So Heavy) crunch to it without getting fizzy at all. It got into smooth fuzzy territory with the Uber Bee goosing it as well.

Sparkling Yellow OD3 (did someone gig this and forget to remove the velcro or was it on there from the start? lol)
I liked the versatility and transparency of the OD3, and it really let the strat neck tone come through. It also cleaned up in very very cool way, so I could pick clean notes on the low E and then strum and it would crunch hard with plenty of attack. This made it sound kinda Marshally to me which was great. Definitely one of the most dynamic dirt pedals I've had the pleasure of playing.

Uber Bee

Once again, I really liked the transparency of the Uber Bee, and had a difficult time deciding which I preferred out of this or the Yellow as a primary OD. The gain range was really nice which made it an awesome stand-alone drive. My favourite setting was with the drive up most of the way and the tone slightly to the right, nature knob in the middle. I would have loved to gig this pedal, and all the dirt i would ever need for a gig could be found in stacking the sparkling yellow into the uber bee. This was my favourite combination overall.

Thanks fellas
Thanks a lot for your feedback 7thString and good to meet you today.

Ok folks, so the pedals are back in my hands now. I shall have a good listen myself and write up my thoughts and the enquire of Donner what he might have for us next.

Trending Topics