• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

BearFoot Effects Aussie Tour Box #6 - EGDM Low Gain, Model G, Arctic White Fuzz!

Which is your favourite pedal from TB#6

• Arctic White Fuzz

• Emerald Green Distortion Machine (low gain) aka EGOD

• Model G

Results are only viewable after voting.
About 5 minutes ago, I was delivered the pedals by Jess (guitar-rookie).

Thanks Jess. And I'll be in touch with…"checks*…markmantle.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Hey Dan, thanks for letting me know. Jess thanks for prompt hand over.

I'm looking forward to both of your impressions.

GF aka Realfi.

Ok, I must admit, circumstances (not Xmas-related) have meant my time was pretty limited with this box. And now I'm finding time to write a post, I haven't played them for a week.
So take this as something of a caveat.

Arctic White Fuzz - This didn't suit me at all and I'm a big fuzz guy. I can't really say why but Bearfoot fuzzes haven't been as amazing and inspiring as their drives (although I liked the last tour box ones a fair bit - Pink Purple especially). Fuzzes often have a sweet spot and the AWF just didn't give up its secrets for me. I found it gated out and cut off the sustain a fair bit (using power supply). Not sure what I'd even compare this to: Not big thick sustainy, not dark, not spotty and aggressive...

Emerald Green Distortion (Overdrive) Machine - I dug this but didn't quite find it inspiring.
A tighter more distorted drive than the Model G. I remember liking the higher gain version better. I guess it just sits in with my idea of a crunchy distortion better. For me, I'm not sure quite where this would sit. My favourite way to use this was to goose the Model G, rather than on its own. Like so many of the Bearfoots it stacks a treat.

Model G - My fave from these. Excellent overdrive and has that nice open loose gain structure that normally gets described as "amp-like". I could definitely use this as a rhythm tone and by kicking in a Timmy got a useable lead tone. I haven't used the old Gibson amps but the Goldtone ones of the late 90's/early 2000s I used a bit and this did remind me of those. Model G imparts a certain flavour on your tone that is worth a listen.

Apologies if these aren't in enough detail about the actual nature of the pedals themselves.
Overall the Model G was a winner here.

Thanks guys again for the tour box, and it does remind me that I need to get a Beest.

markmantle

I picked up the box from the post office a few hours, so the box is with me in Brisbane. Thank you to WorkingClassDan.

I will contact the next person on the list shortly and post my findings.

Grant Ferstat

Cheers for the feedback and updates folks.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

guitar-rookie

Sorry I have been away right after I handed off the pedals so this review will be quite brief. Remember also that it has been a while since I last played the pedals...

The gear I used:
Guitars: Bartlett Retrospec (LP style guitar) and my Creston Tele (p90s)
Amp: Matchless Lightning Reverb 2X12.
My usual dirt pedal: Zvex Box of Rock
Power supply: 1 Spot

Arctic White Fuzz - I came in with quite high expectations for this pedal as I heard great reviews about it..but like Dan, I struggled to find a sound that suited me. Maybe it's because I was not sure what the pedal was trying to be.

Emerald Green Distortion (Overdrive) Machine - Didn't quite dig this with my humbuckers going into the Matchless but with my p90s, it does it's job nicely pushing the Matchless and staying true to the Vox flavour. I haven't tried the original version so I can't compare but this was my favourite with the p90s and Matchless of the 3 pedals.

Model G - My favourite with my humbuckers and the Matchless and very close second to the EGDM LG with the p90s. Easy to dial in to your favourite sound and imparts a very nice amp-like flavour to my sound. Stayed on this pedal for quite a while when I was on my humbuckers as it was a lot of fun to play. I also see why they call this pedal most similar to the Honey Bee as they share the similar touch-sensitivity and amp-like characteristics.

I know I tried stacking the pedals but I can't remember how that went. Just some final thoughts, the Bearfoot pedals are good pedals but I don't think they are quite suited for me as I prefer my OD pedals pushing and retaining the sound of my amp. I felt the Model G and the EGDM, being very amp-like, naturally altered the characteristic Matchless sound so I don't think they are for me.

I know the Zvex BOR that I currently play and own is supposed to impart the 'Marshall sound', going against my 'transparent OD' philosophy, but I feel that the character of the BOR is not that apparent and it allows the amp to shine :)

Thanks for the tourbox, Grant and Donner. Sorry I didn't do a good job of the review due to the timing but till next time!

markmantle

Just some initial impressions:

I was slightly underwhelmed with the pedals when I first used my strat with them. I have a number of fuzzes and did not immediately bond with the Arctic White Fuzz. Also, with the strat there is barely any gain on the Model G.

I then plugged in my Es 335 and completely different story. The model G sounds great with the 335, and the AWF is pretty lean in regards to bass, which is a good match for the sometimes overly bassy neck pickup on the 335.

I was getting fantastic tones out of the Model G. I was able to get very touch sensitive, controllable feedback that sounded great. Beautiful sustain as well.

I can't wait to try the pedals more this weekend.

I have contacted the next person on the list and will post the pedals Monday morning.

markmantle

Hey there,

Just letting everyone know that I posted the pedals to Perth yesterday morning. They should arrive in the next day or so. I had a great time with the pedals.

I am sorry that I left the EGOD until last to try out. I was not super impressed with the EGDM when I had it, so I did not expect to really dig the EGOD, but I was happily mistaken. The EGOD is actually quite great in my eyes. Has just the right level of gain for me and sounded great when I ran the arctic white fuzz into it (as well as my PTD mini bone).

I think, of the bunch, the Model G is the standout for me, but I am now torn between it and the Honey Bee. I have participated in most of the Bearfoot tourboxes and the 2 honeybees that I have tried still are standouts in my eyes (normal and beest). I can see how the model G is from the same "family", if you will. I would like to try them side by side.

I think I will wait for the Uber Bee to be released before I pull the trigger on any of them. Hopefully that will be put out into a tourbox. And hopefully it comes out soon.

Grant Ferstat

Hey there,

Just letting everyone know that I posted the pedals to Perth yesterday morning. They should arrive in the next day or so. I had a great time with the pedals.

I am sorry that I left the EGOD until last to try out. I was not super impressed with the EGDM when I had it, so I did not expect to really dig the EGOD, but I was happily mistaken. The EGOD is actually quite great in my eyes. Has just the right level of gain for me and sounded great when I ran the arctic white fuzz into it (as well as my PTD mini bone).

I think, of the bunch, the Model G is the standout for me, but I am now torn between it and the Honey Bee. I have participated in most of the Bearfoot tourboxes and the 2 honeybees that I have tried still are standouts in my eyes (normal and beest). I can see how the model G is from the same "family", if you will. I would like to try them side by side.

I think I will wait for the Uber Bee to be released before I pull the trigger on any of them. Hopefully that will be put out into a tourbox. And hopefully it comes out soon.
I don't even want to think about another TB for a while to be honest!

Grant Ferstat

Hey Aidan7737 and singing6string have you guys done the hand-over yet?

Time to get things rolling!

Trending Topics