BearFoot Effects Aussie Tour Box #7 - Focus on Fuzz!

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
In an effort to avoid further hold-ups I'm going to quote myself from the original rules post in this thread:-

When you get the pedals:-

*Post on the thread to let everyone know where they're at.
*Immediately get in touch with the next person on the list.
*If you can't get hold of that person after 2 days PLEASE CONTACT ME I will try to get hold of the person or change the list order to keep things going.
*If you know you're not likely to be available when your turn comes around PLEASE CONTACT ME. I'm sure we'll be able to re-shuffle things so you still get your turn but we can keep things moving in the meantime.

Last edited:

markmantle

The pedals are with me now. I picked them up from Tucky this morning. I got to play them for about an hour so far. So far, I really like the bosshorn and the ge candy apple fuzz the best.

Will post more as I spend more time with them.

effectsman

Ok, here's my fuzz impressions. Thanks again to Realfi and Doner for the Bearfoot tourbox.

My Gear & Methodology

Guitars:
* USACG Strat, with Seymour Duncan SD1 pickups

Amp:
* Fender Bassman
* 2x12 with Celestion G12H 75 Creambacks

Candy Apple Fuzz (Gold) [Germanium]

I liked the smoothness of this one (vs the silicon's). It has that smoother more subdued fuzz that the Germanium transistors are known for.

I could really see myself using this one for soaring lead lines. As it doesn't have the raspiness of the silver, at least at the lower gain settings that I was tending to favour. It still has that great fuzz flavour but leaving the gain down and the nature knob to the right and the treble control down a bit I just loved the lead tone I was getting.

Candy Apple Fuzz (Silver) [Silicone]

More raspy than the gold, the silicone really screams classic silicon fuzz to my ears. For me I always think of David Gilmour's solo on the track Time from the Dark Side of the Moon album. This fuzz reminds me of that. For me I tried running this through various OD pedals to try to smooth it out a bit and get rid of some of the rasp.

One of the other tourbox members commented on the loudness of these pedals, and when you turn the fuzz knob past 2 o'clock I found myself turning down the volume to reduce the overall kick the amp was getting.

This one I liked the silicon nature and its cutting ability if I was using it for rhythm parts, but for leads I didn't like it as much.

Candiru Apple Fuzz

The gated fuzz I really didn't like at all. I can't think of a band song I would use this one for. However I can see how the noise gate on it can help to smooth out the sound a bit and stop the pedal from being noisy if you are using the fuzz with the gain way up and the notes start to ring and squeal.

I tended to play with the gating down but even with it down, the overall nasty nature of this one was less appealing than the others. However that said by rolling the volume and tone controls around on your guitar you could get a lot of variation with this pedal.

Burgundy Bosshorn Fuzz

I liked this one the most of all the pedals. For me I would use this sound for leads more so than what the other pedals were offering. Very sax like in its response. I tended to like the fuzz setting lower on this one as it offered a tighter fuzz, almost OD like sound. Once you adjusted the volume to drive it enough it really came to life. Having the bass and treble as separate adjustments was also useful rather than a single tone control. Great sounds from this pedal using my neck pick up.

Conclusion

My pick would be the

Bosshorn
Candy Gold
Candy Silver
Candiru

Playing around with the different offerings confirmed to me that I don't like fuzz that is maxed out on the gain and sounds like things are going to explode. I tend to like them at more subdued gain settings for lead lines where they just give you more character and softer edges than does an OD or distortion pedal. That's why I could definitely see using the Bosshorn or the Candy Gold.

Thanks again to Realfi (and Doner) for organising this opportunity.

markmantle

It's funny, I was thinking that the bosshorn reminded of my ptd mini bone at some settings, then I found it they are both based on the same pedal (the Jordan bosstone)!

Grant Ferstat

Thanks for the reports guys. Almost time to talk to Don about getting the next TB rolling I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

markmantle

Just an update... Been a crazy week, so not a lot of playing time, but I will have the pedals off to the next person on the list by tomorrow morning. I will get to play them some more today, so I will post my thoughts on everything soon. Thanks again.

markmantle

Alright, I'll have a go at this.

I was able to play all of the pedals through my princeton reverb clone (mercury mag transformers, jupiter red caps, weber 10f50t speaker). I really like this amp and it is now my go to for home use.

I played both a strat and 335 through the pedals, but mainly the strat, as I tend to favour single coils/fender guitars, especially with fuzz.

I compared the pedals to my ptd mini bone, sunface nkt275 and byoc bc108 fuzz face clone.

Candiru - I probably played this one the least. It sort of reminded me of when I turn down the bias knob on my silicon byoc fuzz.... Cool sounds, but not sure how much I would use those sounds.

Candy apple silver - able to get similar sounds to my byoc, but it is quite different at the same time. There is certainly more going on here than a straight up silicone fuzzface. I too preferred the gain knob down a bit (around 1 or 2 o'clock).

In comparison to my silicon fuzzface, the byoc is clearer and retains the guitars natural sound more. Also, the clean up on the byoc gets much cleaner/transparent.

The candy apple is capable of more sounds than a standard fuzz face and the addition of the treble knob is very handy. It has some great sounds and if you are into a higher gain fuzz face type sound with the ability to get the cool octave feature, then you might really like it. I just wouldn't expect the same volume knob interactions as a regular fuzzface.

CAF ge - I liked this one more than the silicon version... Smoother. Very similar to it in other regards - please see above for comparison to the sunface because it is exactly the same type of thing, just germanium. Fwiw - there is just something special about the sunface with nkt275s for me... Just the feel of it is really nice and I actually dig all the shades of dirt with the volume down more than when it's maxed and the fuzz is full on.

BossHorn - definitely my favourite of the bunch. If I did not own the minibone I would be tempted, but there is definitely an overlap and the minibone does appear to have more sounds in it (but maybe I didn't get enough time to fully discover everything the bosshorn had to offer).

I was comparing it to my minibone, just randomly and discovered tonal similarities... After googling the origins of the mini bone, I discovered they are both based on the Jordan Bosstone.

The bosshorn is capable of some of the same sub octavey type sounds you can get with the minibone and they react similar to picking dynamics when set this way. To get to this type of setting, I found that I had to crank the "b" knob and turn the gain up a fair bit. It is a cool sound and fairly controllable.

The bosshorn sounded great with both the strat and 335. In some respects it might cut through the mix on the sub octave stating with 335 better than the minibone due to the treble knob. I find the minibone can get a little drowned out in these type settings, unless eq'd by another boost type of pedal following it (I use a ktr or mythical overdrive) for this type of thing with both the minibone and sunface.

Overall - a great option for someone that wants to give the minibone type of sound a shot and not wait on the 12+ month list for one. The horn sounds are different, however.

I must give the overall nod to the minibone - more sounds and ridiculous clean up and clarity. BossHorn is a great pedal though.

Thanks again for the opportunity to try these out. I think my fav bearfoot fuzz is still the pink purple for its fuzzy od sounds... Still tempted to try one out again.

I really look forward to trying the uberbee in a future tourbox.. Loved the honeybee when I got to try it and I think the uberbee will seal the deal for me.

Mark

Grant Ferstat

Alright, I'll have a go at this.

I was able to play all of the pedals through my princeton reverb clone (mercury mag transformers, jupiter red caps, weber 10f50t speaker). I really like this amp and it is now my go to for home use.

I played both a strat and 335 through the pedals, but mainly the strat, as I tend to favour single coils/fender guitars, especially with fuzz.

I compared the pedals to my ptd mini bone, sunface nkt275 and byoc bc108 fuzz face clone.

Candiru - I probably played this one the least. It sort of reminded me of when I turn down the bias knob on my silicon byoc fuzz.... Cool sounds, but not sure how much I would use those sounds.

Candy apple silver - able to get similar sounds to my byoc, but it is quite different at the same time. There is certainly more going on here than a straight up silicone fuzzface. I too preferred the gain knob down a bit (around 1 or 2 o'clock).

In comparison to my silicon fuzzface, the byoc is clearer and retains the guitars natural sound more. Also, the clean up on the byoc gets much cleaner/transparent.

The candy apple is capable of more sounds than a standard fuzz face and the addition of the treble knob is very handy. It has some great sounds and if you are into a higher gain fuzz face type sound with the ability to get the cool octave feature, then you might really like it. I just wouldn't expect the same volume knob interactions as a regular fuzzface.

CAF ge - I liked this one more than the silicon version... Smoother. Very similar to it in other regards - please see above for comparison to the sunface because it is exactly the same type of thing, just germanium. Fwiw - there is just something special about the sunface with nkt275s for me... Just the feel of it is really nice and I actually dig all the shades of dirt with the volume down more than when it's maxed and the fuzz is full on.

BossHorn - definitely my favourite of the bunch. If I did not own the minibone I would be tempted, but there is definitely an overlap and the minibone does appear to have more sounds in it (but maybe I didn't get enough time to fully discover everything the bosshorn had to offer).

I was comparing it to my minibone, just randomly and discovered tonal similarities... After googling the origins of the mini bone, I discovered they are both based on the Jordan Bosstone.

The bosshorn is capable of some of the same sub octavey type sounds you can get with the minibone and they react similar to picking dynamics when set this way. To get to this type of setting, I found that I had to crank the "b" knob and turn the gain up a fair bit. It is a cool sound and fairly controllable.

The bosshorn sounded great with both the strat and 335. In some respects it might cut through the mix on the sub octave stating with 335 better than the minibone due to the treble knob. I find the minibone can get a little drowned out in these type settings, unless eq'd by another boost type of pedal following it (I use a ktr or mythical overdrive) for this type of thing with both the minibone and sunface.

Overall - a great option for someone that wants to give the minibone type of sound a shot and not wait on the 12+ month list for one. The horn sounds are different, however.

I must give the overall nod to the minibone - more sounds and ridiculous clean up and clarity. BossHorn is a great pedal though.

Thanks again for the opportunity to try these out. I think my fav bearfoot fuzz is still the pink purple for its fuzzy od sounds... Still tempted to try one out again.

I really look forward to trying the uberbee in a future tourbox.. Loved the honeybee when I got to try it and I think the uberbee will seal the deal for me.

Mark
Cheers Mark, and yes, the Uberbee is cool..

Got a chance to give these pedals a good tryout over the weekend.
Thanks again Bearfoot and Grant, really enjoyed this one.

The rig for this one was a Strat Plus Deluxe and Pete Townshend SG into a Sherlock Vintage Reverb. (added effects from Belle Epoch, Teese Picture wah)

Burgundy Bosshorn
Interesting pedal this one. I haven't heard anyone do a pedal with such a pronounced mid-hump (TS-pedals aren't anywhere near this middy). Like mentioned in other reviews it's pretty much a cocked wah effect. Could be interesting for the odd solo but not really to my taste. I was hoping to enjoy this one more than I did but really appreciate that it occupies a fairly unique space in the fuzz spectrum.

Candiru
This is a gated/splatty fuzz effect. I like this a lot. This is what I have a fuzz factory for. Consider it a stable, set-and-forget fuzz factory without madness. Again, I couldn't see a permanent place on my boards for this but it was still fun and might find some fans with the Jack White/Black Keys audience. I would still choose a fuzz factory over this for its extra versatility and unpredictability, others would choose the Candiru for almost the same reasons.

Candy Apple Fuzz Ge
I can't remember exactly which Candy Apple/s featured in previous tour boxes, but this felt like a bit of revelation. This pedal was my standout favourite from this box. Loved it/would buy it.

Bearfoot fuzzes have tended to walk a great line between fuzz and distortion and the level of gain on tap is pretty high. This could probably handle stoner rock/metal material easily. It had me swapping the strat for the Pete Townshend SG (P90s) to do some down tuned Sabbathy riffs, which was a lot of fun. The CAF Ge was dark but very useable in a home playing situation (some might find themselves looking for a bit more top end).
What I was surprised with was that, for a Ge fuzz face pedal, it didn't have me thinking of Hendrix but suggested heavier styles, which suggests less of a classic fuzz face and more of a distinct place in the fuzz spectrum. This version of the CAF is now on my shopping list.

Candy Apple Si
The si version was close to the ge version in many ways. Incredibly close. Maybe a little extra cut but not loads. Most of the time I played these pedals I found myself leaning towards the Ge naturally, almost subconsciously. So I spent less time digging into the Si because it was just ever so slightly less inspiring than the Gold/Ge.

Thanks again guys. I hope my reviews have been technical enough, it sounds to me like I've been going more on gut feel and instinct than decisive descriptions.

Cheers.

Grant Ferstat

Got a chance to give these pedals a good tryout over the weekend. Thanks again Bearfoot and Grant, really enjoyed this one. The rig for this one was a Strat Plus Deluxe and Pete Townshend SG into a Sherlock Vintage Reverb. (added effects from Belle Epoch, Teese Picture wah) Burgundy Bosshorn Interesting pedal this one. I haven't heard anyone do a pedal with such a pronounced mid-hump (TS-pedals aren't anywhere near this middy). Like mentioned in other reviews it's pretty much a cocked wah effect. Could be interesting for the odd solo but not really to my taste. I was hoping to enjoy this one more than I did but really appreciate that it occupies a fairly unique space in the fuzz spectrum. Candiru This is a gated/splatty fuzz effect. I like this a lot. This is what I have a fuzz factory for. Consider it a stable, set-and-forget fuzz factory without madness. Again, I couldn't see a permanent place on my boards for this but it was still fun and might find some fans with the Jack White/Black Keys audience. I would still choose a fuzz factory over this for its extra versatility and unpredictability, others would choose the Candiru for almost the same reasons. Candy Apple Fuzz Ge I can't remember exactly which Candy Apple/s featured in previous tour boxes, but this felt like a bit of revelation. This pedal was my standout favourite from this box. Loved it/would buy it. Bearfoot fuzzes have tended to walk a great line between fuzz and distortion and the level of gain on tap is pretty high. This could probably handle stoner rock/metal material easily. It had me swapping the strat for the Pete Townshend SG (P90s) to do some down tuned Sabbathy riffs, which was a lot of fun. The CAF Ge was dark but very useable in a home playing situation (some might find themselves looking for a bit more top end). What I was surprised with was that, for a Ge fuzz face pedal, it didn't have me thinking of Hendrix but suggested heavier styles, which suggests less of a classic fuzz face and more of a distinct place in the fuzz spectrum. This version of the CAF is now on my shopping list. Candy Apple Si The si version was close to the ge version in many ways. Incredibly close. Maybe a little extra cut but not loads. Most of the time I played these pedals I found myself leaning towards the Ge naturally, almost subconsciously. So I spent less time digging into the Si because it was just ever so slightly less inspiring than the Gold/Ge. Thanks again guys. I hope my reviews have been technical enough, it sounds to me like I've been going more on gut feel and instinct than decisive descriptions. Cheers.

Thanks for the reviews Dan. In the end these boxes are supposed to inspire us to make music which of course is at least as much heart as head so going with gut feel is entirely appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

Grant Ferstat

Frosted Glass have you got the pedals ok? I get a bit nervous when this thread goes quiet. Please see the rules @ Post#1 on this thread.

Trending Topics