BearFoot EGDM Silver - My Prayers Answered

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Glitch Magnet, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

For the first time in a dozen years, a new pedal has replaced my beloved BJFe Emerald Green Distortion Machine.

It's the BearFoot EGDM Silver!

DonneR has finally recreated all the magic of the original all-silicon design. With a Vox AC or similar amp, there's just nothing like it. I've tried many other pedals over the years, including the BearFoot EGDM and EGOD, and simply nothing sounds like the original BJFe version -- until now.

As it was designed, the EGDM Silver takes a Vox AC on the edge of breakup and cranks it up. It's loud and raucous, yet dynamic and detailed. It adds just a touch of compression and bloom while remaining open and airy. It's one of the most textural pedals I've ever played. It's like adding a second channel to the AC, and it works incredibly well with both Normal and Top Boost inputs. The Voice control let's you set it to give really nice low-end thunk, or rolled off for a more midrangey tone.

I don't know what it sounds like into a clean amp though. It's not a pedal I would use at low volume. Although, it sounds incredible for running bass guitar direct to the console! With a clean amp, you might want to stack it into a good overdrive. Also, it responds incredibly well with a Rangemaster type pedal right before it.

There are some subtle, and not-so subtle, differences between the BF EGDM Silver and the original BJFe EGDM.
    - The Silver is a little flatter and clearer in the upper mids / lower treble, where the BJFe has a tad more bite but can also get ice-picky by comparison. Both pedals have lots of presence and the overall character is the same.
    - The BJFe also has a bit more open airiness and sparkle at the very top end, but it's not something you'd notice in a mix or casual A-B comparison.
    - The BJFe had a ridiculous amount of output gain, so unity was somewhere around 9:30. On the Silver, it's around 1:30, so it's easier to adjust but there's still plenty of extra gain if you need a boost.
    - The BJFe had it's Treble control buried inside. Thankfully, Bearfoot has it exposed, letting you instantly go from crisp and bitey to warm and fuzzy.
    - The BJFe had one thing I will not miss - noise! The new Silver is wayyyy quieter than the BJFe.
    - And, for all its charm, the BJFe paint job left lots to be desired. My new EGDM Silver has the limited edition "spleen machine" finish. Super cool.

You can search this forum for my other posts comparing the BJFe EGDM to the BF EGDM (non-silver) and EGOD. The new BF EGDM Silver is a true re-issue of the original, and I expect it will be a mainstay on my board for the next dozen years or more.

[​IMG]

jacopo and Morgancograve like this.
  2. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

Gah. Another Bearfoot pedal I need to try. They are killing it these days!

3. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

It's great to read such a glowing review of the new EGDM Silver! Now I REALLY can't wait for the BearFoot "SiliFuzz' Tourbox to get to me...any day now!

I love my EGDM Gold and my EGOD (the lower gain version), and am extremely curious to hear how silicon vs. germanium changes this pedal. I've never played the BJFe version, so won't be able to compare as you have, OP.

Anyway, I was getting ready to bump the Tourbox thread once more before closing it up when I ran into this thread. Thanks, Glitch Magnet, for your in-depth observations of the EGDMS. Looking forward to trying it out myself!

And while I'm here, I'll leave the link to the upcoming Tourbox for others who might be curious for more reviews, comments and demos (all upcoming):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1545117&highlight=bearfoot+tourbox

Thanks again and enjoy! :aok

4. Caprica

Caprica Member

What does the clean boots pedal do? Is it a boost?

5. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

It's a chopped down FD2 (pre-mosfet). It's got the boost circuit removed, comp cut (diodes removed), and the drive set to zero. I call it "Clean Boots" because it removes mud, particularly from my neck pickup, due to it's bass roll-off, mid-hump, and treble boost.
    [​IMG]

Caprica and MoonshineMan like this.
  6. 108

108 Supporting Member

I've been looking at EGDM and EGOD demos and posts today, looking for a new overdrive to match with an AC30. The EGDM seems to have so much volume and gain, maybe too much for me, but it seems like anybody who's compared it to the EDOD prefers the original version.

7. Caprica

Caprica Member

Nice! Needs a dirty boots muff to go with it!

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  8. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

I use it with the distortion control almost fully off. With my vox set for edge of breakup, kicking in the egdms is like reaching over and cranking the amp up without raising the volume. So it can work like a low gain OD but sounds more open and uncompressed.

Don Rusk likes this.
  9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

YEs it has enough clean gain to overdrive a vox or other amp by itself ... it also has the dirt to mimic the driven amp by itself ... the EGOD is for the lower more sublte range that is a small range of the EGDM ... the EGOD also focuses on greater clean compression

e-flat likes this.