Bearfoot FX European Union Tourbox #2 now on the road

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hey Guys, the box is here and I finally found the time to compile the list and get the contact info. out to you by email. I will include a list in the actual Tourbox as well...

Keep the pedals about a week and then ship them to the next guy in line. It would be great if you could write reviews and/post clips to help repay Don's kindness and trust in letting us check these out for free.

Thanks a lot Don!

I will get these out to Sikor in the next few days to start the ball rolling. Have fun!!

Chow,
    Seegs...Germany

Sikor...Germany received 19.02.2012
    Chrissy...Germany received 29.02.2012...back to Seegs for upgrades...upgrades are done and the pedals on the way to rabbit!

rabbit...Germany received 30.04.2012
    SeicheNZ...Germany received 13.04.2012
    Toe...German received 26.04.2012
    dr.morton...Germany received 10.05.2012
    zwieback-dude...Germany received 21.05.2012

The P-Man...England received 06.06.2012
    Mad Frank...England received 15.06.2012
    Oil...England received 30.06.2012
    telecasting...England Please note that telecasting had to drop out of the tourbox...so Oil will ship directly to toneshacktrev
    toneshacktrev...England received ????
    TheRiotTapes...Ireland received 07.08.2012

Lord Riffenstein Belgium received 08.24.2012

Ianb...Netherlands received 07.09.2012

Tsathoggua...France received 19.09.2012
    *jaxapi...France...please note that jaxapi has decided to drop out of the tourbox...so Tsathoggua will ship directly to Pulse in Greece...

Pulse...Greece received 10.10.2012
    Akoy Pinoy...Rhodes Island, Greece 18.10.2012

Back to Don Rusk...Bearfoot FX USA

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Cheers to Don and Seegs!

3. telecasting

telecasting Member

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

Gentleman...start your engines...the tourbox is now officially on the road...

Sikor just left with the tourbox!

I'll get my thoughts about the pedals up here shortly to kick off tourbox II

I have notified eveyone by email and passed along all the contact info. for everyone on the list.

I have also included a list of everyone's contact info. in the tourbox if you should lose the email for any reason!

Chow,
    Seegs

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

Ok here we go...

Equipment list...

Underwood tele/Ellis pickups
    Suhr Classic/Slider's pickups
    Gibson ES339/Zhangbucker pickups
    Audio Amp Company JTM45/Celestion Golds
    Evidence Audio Lyric and Lyric HG cables
    Stereo Wet on all the time all recorded by a Zoom Q3 in automode...clips forthcoming as soon as I find the time to upload which may take awhile...

Let me preface this by saying that Celestion Golds while they sound great clean they can really accentuate the sizzle and fizz factor...especially when the gain is set high...in pedals that accentuate certain upper mid-range frequencies when used with guitars that accentuate the mid-range such as alder strats and Mahogony semi hollows with PAF type pickups...

But this is a small price to pay as the cleans are the best I have ever heard/had and it's worth it to me as most of what I do is clean...most pedals don't work with these speakers but have a found a couple...a Himmestrutz Fitzo for clean boost to low gain and a Fuzzfaceless MK1 which sounds like heaven with these speakers...my 3-knob Model H can work in certain situations and settings where the gain is set low but all of the distortions and high gain pedals I have tried all seem to sound like a giant metallic-fizz party with Golds...Now I have found another pedal that mates really well with the Golds...read on:p

*My pedal journey has led me to conclude that I think pedal makers should take different speaker types into consideration when voicing their pedals...this seems not to be the case in the many pedals that I go through...sure the pedal works great in the designers/pedal demoer's setup with ceramic greenbacks but sounds like crap with my alnicos and vice versa...

My best results with the Golds are by stacking clean boosts and low gain pedals and even pushing them with a compressor...or using a two amp setup with the Golds for cleans and another amp for dirty tones...

I feel that the TB2 pedals are all hotter than the pedals in TB1 with the exception of the Model H which seems somewhat lower in gain...given that... the best results were with my Underwood tele which is scooped in the mid-range

DynaRedHot...this pedal is fat and has so much gain that it should satisfy just about anyone who desires those kind of tones...it also cleans up really well with volume reduction and picking pressure and is very responsive...however it did get fizzy and very metallic sounding with the golds with the upper gain ranges with the strat and 339...less so with the tele...funny enough my favorite tones were set with the gain at about 9OC...very nice indeed...in my setup I much preferred the regular Dynared but could see this working quite well with speakers that have less upper-mid range content...with the Golds and a mid-rangy type guitar it's just too much of a good thing

4-Knob Model H...when I heard about this pedal I thought briefly about getting one to replace my 3 knob because the concept is just what I felt would make it a tad more useful for me than the 3-knob...less gain...slightly cleaner and the inclusion of a treble knob...my 3-knob can get fizzy and sizzly with too much gain and my strat and 339 through the Golds and I often find myself wishing it had less gain...having said that it really sounds great with my tele so it has its place...I decided not to get the 4-knob because often...IME a more feature laden version of a pedal is released and misses that certain something or the magic of the original...this...IMO is the case here....for me the treble knob wasn't really needed and if I set it above 9OC my Golds sound like metal...the 3 knob also sings more and sounds warmer and fatter in my setup...when dialled in just right the 3 knob is a monster pedal..the 4 knob is tight and very touch responsive but I think the 3-knob is just a pedal that was done right from the beginning and there is no real need to improve on it excpet to maybe lower the gain a bit...in my setup the 3 knob wins hands down...

Honeybeest...when I demoed it the original Bearfoot Fx HB didn't really add anything to my setup that I needed...I also had 3 original BJF HBs that did nothing for me...I don't want my big amp to sound small and the loose farty bass end is a death sentence for me...I never bonded with those pedals and bought three because they feel amazing...but evertime I kicked one on I was like wtf...this is the PRS of the pedalworld for me...great concept that falls short tonally for me...the Bearfoot Fx version of the HB is a huge improvement over the original BJF versions which are all but unuseable for me...again just not something that I need or desire...that has changed big time with the Hbeest...this pedal is just what the doctor odered for my Golds...I can dial this pedal in to work with any of my guitars and it just tames the upper mid fizz and sizzle that the Golds can have with most pedals...this pedal feels great...is very intuitive and tweakable and is voiced perfectly to deliver velvety smooth singing legato lines...powerful... aggresive acdc crunch and is so incredibly musical and inspirational to use...one of the best pedals I have ever played and even though I need another pedal like a hole in the head I am thinking about this one...

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

very nice review!
    I'm curious about the H, as the 3knob had too much gain for me. It was awesome for riffing away feeling like you're in a stadium, but not really usable for my kind of music. Maybe the 4knob is different. Also curious about the beest.

7. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I got a taste of the TB2 pedals thru Seegs' rig last night. I can relate to all the findings in that setup - what a thoughtful and balanced review. I might have been tempted to write "yuck" about the dyna red hot as it was, to my ears, a distinctly unattractive tone. Seegs: you are a gentleman! I'm in line after Robert and will be reserving judgement until I've played them through my rig. I disliked the 3 knob model h that many of you loved so perhaps i'll be eating my own words. My high hopes rest with the honey beest. If I can get the tones I heard yesterday with my rig I'll be getting one!

8. Toe

Toe Member

Great news. I bought a Model H (3 knob) in the meantime, so very curious about the 4 knob version! Thanks for organizing this!

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

First up is the Underwood tele w/Ellis pickups through a Audio Amp Company JTM45 w/Celestion Golds...be aware the first chord in each video is distorted while the Zoom's auto level sensing detects the correct level...also the pedals were quickly dialled in to sound best with each respective guitar and not to imitate each other or show the tonal range...therefore levels may also be different but I think it gives you a ballpark of each pedals inherent tonality...the stereo Wet is always on...

Second is the Suhr strat w/Slider's pickups

Last up is the 339 w/Zhangbucker pickups

Enjoy!

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. Seegs

Seegs Member

Bump

Chow,
    Seegs

11. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Seegs... your American?! Huh. I always assumed you were German with impeccable English!

Great demos BTW! Very informative and a good format for comparison. I too love the JTM45! I have a Germino Classic45 with Scumback M75's that are gonna be cranked up with the Bearfoots! :D

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

Yep you found me out...been here since 91 and never got around to returning:p

Thanks just trying to showcase these great pedals...the Beest is haunting me...Chrissy was working in Frankfurt and stopped by for a brief visit Sat. night and the Beest knocked us both out...

Chrissy used to have a Germino C45 and I was really bummed when he sold it...amazing amp and the Scums are great...I'm having a 2nd 1X12" cab. made and am thinking of a Scumnico (less upper mids than the Golds) or a 65 watt H55 to blend with the Golds...the M's sensitivity is too low and the Gold would overpower it otherwise that would be my speaker of choice...

Hope you can crank your amp when the pedals get there...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. oil

oil Supporting Member

Great demo Seegs! Look forward to trying them....

14. AkoyPinoy

AkoyPinoy Member

Thanks for those clips!:) i'm liking the honeybeest with tele...

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks and you're welcome...you guys are gonna have some fun...they're great pedals...

AP...I agree with you...the beest is a mid heavy pedal that mates really well with a mid-scooped guitar

Chow,
    Seegs

16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Great stuff Seegs. Y'know after all of our conversations I don't think I've ever heard you play. Very tasty!

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

Thanks Realfi...regarding our many conversations I have another name to throw into the hat...in fact he hails from your neck of the woods in Sydney...

Slider's pickups...based on my experience with these amazing strat pickups which I picked up in the Emporium...I have ordered a set of his post 55 A5 tele pickups with NOS Phelps Dodge wire in the brigdge...if these are anywhere close to the strat pickups then it's gonna put a big huge smile on my face which is what happens when I play my strat since I put them in my guitar...

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

cheers Seegs, coming through for me as usual!

19. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Just got done listening to the demos.
    Beest is my favorite, H second for sure.

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

Glad to be of service and help you spend your money:p

I agree the Beest is a beast!!

Chow,
    Seegs