Bearfoot FX Honey Bee +

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Serenity, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Serenity

Serenity Member

Just seen this on the Bearfoot FX facebook page. 2 channel Honey Bee.
    [​IMG]

monkmiles, ChampReverb and Flatscan like this.
  2. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member

The choice to go with dual Volume / Treble controls is interesting. I’m on the tourbox that includes a Honey Bair, so I’m especially excited to see what the Treble knob contributes.

Also, powdercoat is a huge step in the right direction!

Flatscan and Don Rusk like this.
  3. ghostrider

ghostrider Member

The treble knob makes all the difference in the world.

I had a standard bee for a few years and it sounded amazing but when I changed amps, it was just too dark sounding for my new amp. So I sold it and moved on. But I missed how natural the breakup was and discovered the Bair. I finally gave in and picked one up a few months ago. Now, I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. I have the Bair's treble knob turned up pretty high with that same amp and I've got that sound again.

:cool:

voodoochili12 and Don Rusk like this.
  4. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

The thing that is strange about Don’s Facebook post is that he takes credit for coming up with the idea for the BJFE honey bee and the name. Curious if that is the truth.

Calling @BJF for insight on the history

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Don Rusk likes this.
  5. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Supporting Member

:stir
    Doesn't seem necessary:rolleyes:

Flatscan and anxiousmofo like this.
  6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Yes its true, I've told the story many times over the years - I gave some background on the development of the Original Bee and this new + model and my thought process on its development and control choices .... its the Bee I always wanted.

ChampReverb, Flatscan and flantrax like this.
  7. Don Rusk

Yes these wont chip ; ) ..... and for me the HB is what it is and if you change it too much its not really a Honey Bee anymore - this treble control is actually a treble 'lift', it just raises the blanket of the basic EQ - it just releases what is already there and you get the edgier harmonics and presence. Its not really a big treble boost, but combined with the volume change it makes it much more versatile.... one way I like to use it is with the first setting at about unity with dirt and the treble up ~ edgier crunchier Bee ~ then roll the treble back and boost the volume with the + stomp for leads. Not brain surgery, but very useful. Honey Bee + options.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  8. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

i hope they sell a bunch - good builder

9. Jaredt771

Jaredt771 Member

This is interesting for sure! Have owned the Honey Bee twice and always wanted a little bit more. Will probably be checking this out in the future

Don Rusk likes this.
  10. Don Rusk

Right - thats the thought - the HB+ retains the HB sound/feel but the extra controls bridge the difference in Fender/Marshall amps - Fender/Gibson pickups - single/humbucker - neck/bridge pickups... so when changing amps or guitars or pickups you can get both sounds correct with a stomp --- it also works as a rhythym/ lead boost or a variable vintage/modern switch.

11. Don Rusk

Yeah its that control you didnt know you needed until you heard it , then you needed it and wouldnt be happy without it - I love the grunt of the Honey Bee, but sometimes I dont want the full Honey 'blanket effect' and I like to have the treble match the speaker its coming from, but then Im a picky one.

And being able to stomp between the two is very useful for me and I hope others ... the HB + and one other + will be the only ones with treble stomp, the rest will be second drive settings as they have more gain range to begin with. The treble on the HB is bigger difference worth manipulating.

ghostrider likes this.
  12. ES330

ES330 Member

Not sure what I'd do with two Treble controls ??
    For me, the HB is a set & forget pedal

Don Rusk likes this.
  13. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Set them both and forget till you change amps?

Don Rusk, AceBSpankin and ChampReverb like this.
  14. Don Rusk

... or guitars or pickups or stacked dirt boxes ~~~
    Its a simple but versatile option ... my original design thought was that a lot of people use a boost to get a second sound - and I often see people wishing for a boost that just sounded like they turned up their drive box .... so how about if you could just literally have a higher volume setting? And often when you change volume levels the EQ also shifts a bit so a low gain dirtbox like the HB, the + could benefit from a treble adjustment also .... on the other higher gain + models its more useful to have a second drive setting paired with the volume adjustment... or like on the Never Blue its mids and volume or the Putting Green its Volume and Comp that are doubled. Simple and useful.

Flatscan likes this.