BearFoot FX/One Control "2017 Fresh Dirt Tourbox USA!" (Reviews, Demos, etc.!)

Which is your fave pedal from this Tourbox?

• Fluorescent Orange Amp In A Box

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Golden Acorn OverDrive Special

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Persian Green Screamer

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Sonic Blue Twanger

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have more than one fave! I'll explain in this thread.

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

musica23

EDIT: This Tourbox is now finished.

This is the official thread for the BearFoot FX/One Control "2017 Fresh Dirt Tourbox USA!"

index.php

They're here! And I had the pleasure of playing them last night...all great-sounding, and they look better than this in person! :aok

Before I post the list of participants (NOW IN ORDER), let's run through the RULES...

- Keep the pedals for no more than one week. If something comes up with you, please PM me! Talk to me...we can work it out. :hiP

- The pedals are not to be reverse engineered (obviously). :nono Please handle them with care and report any type of suspected malfunction/excessive cosmetic wear to me ASAP via PM.

- Before sending the Tourbox on to the next participant, please PM him/her to verify address and to give a heads-up.

- When you've finished with the pedals, please send to the next participant via an insured and track-able method (e.g., USPS Priority Mail). The Tourbox should be INSURED for $500. Instead, you may hand the Tourbox off in person if you're able. If sending, please supply the recipient and me with tracking info!

- Provide a written review and/or demo of these pedals. PLEASE leave some sort of constructive feedback for Donner and for Björn. It's part of the deal!

Here's the list IN ORDER!

OverDrivenGtr ------------ had Tourbox, unable to participate...finished!
papersun ------------------reviewed, finished!
tymj2112 ----------------- demoed, finished!
e-flat ---------------------- reviewed, finished!
JerEvil ---------------------reviewed, demoed, finished!
GtrWiz ---------------------finished!
Flatscan ------------------- reviewed, finished!
ezra1 ---------------------- reviewed, finished!
iamthearm -----------------reviewed, demoed, finished!
Drak ----------------------- finished!
phazersonstun ------------ finished!
Bshecko ------------------- has Tourbox!
lavinci
ChampReverb
TB72
WhiteStrat
skisquash
Hugh DaMann
Trebor Renkluaf

Please check to make sure you've been included and that your handle is spelled correctly. Count at least ONE WEEK per person to try and determine when you'll receive the Tourbox. Please PM me ASAP if it looks like you'll need to be moved.

Thanks to all who signed up and ENJOY! Extra thanks to Donner for making this possible, and to Björn for designing these great pedals! :bow

Last edited:

musica23

Hello, everyone. I sent the Tourbox out to OverDrivenGtr today, so we're rolling! :aok

My vote in the poll was the last choice..."I have more than one fave!" I'll explain sometime tomorrow when I post my reviews. :BluesBros

musica23

Please forgive my tardy review of this great bunch of little pedals! Here it is...

GEAR USED: American Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Special w/P-90s, PRS w/SD '59 (neck) and Custom (bridge) through a stock Fender Blues Deluxe...clean, with a slight touch of reverb

Sonic Blue Twanger

This is the one of the bunch that forced me to dig out my Strat and P-90-equipped Les Paul as I found it to be too bassy/flubby with my fave PRS, which is equipped with high output humbuckers. It sounded OK at low volume, but not at anything higher than that. So when I switched to single coils, the SBT changed character immediately! It's got a switch on the side for Rhythm or Lead. When in Lead position, it's much louder (as it's meant to be) and really fattens up a Strat and P-90s as well. Still, I preferred it in Rhythm mode used as a preamp/always on sort of pedal. Modeled after a 'Blackface' amp, there's not a lot of distortion to be had even full up, but that's the character of the Fender amps I've played. It sort of reminded me of a Pale Green Compressor at lower volume and distortion level as it sweetens your tone very nicely. It's one of those pedals that, at lower levels, is difficult to tell whether or not it's on until you switch it off. Then the tone becomes a bit less pleasing and seems to lack something, so back on it goes! This is how I used it throughout most of my testing. I neglected to stack it with any of the other pedals, but I think it would match well with either the Persian Green Screamer or the Golden Acorn. The controls are simple enough...a Volume, Master and Treble knob, plus the aforementioned switch on the side. With high output humbuckers, the SBT was very dark as compared to most Fender-type amps, and the limited-range Treble control did little to remedy that. With single coils, the Treble control was perfect. It never got too bright even with Treble full up, and was very usable throughout the dial. This may not be your experience if you use low output HBs, but I much preferred it with single coils. I would call this a rather subtle overdrive/boost/distortion pedal, and I think that "subtle" is often very good! Overall, this one came in 3rd of the bunch for me, but I mostly play through Fender amps. Still, this one really enlivened my tone and added a bit of sparkle, too. Very good pedal!

Persian Green Screamer

This pedal worked with any type of pickup (as did the remaining two), but sounded best to me when used with single coils/P-90s when in Vintage mode. I'm not a huge tubescreamer fan, but I liked this one more than other tubescreamers I've tried. It doesn't sound as nasally as the others (a plus as far as I'm concerned) and offered a bit more distortion if wanted when in Vintage mode (as with the Sonic Blue Twanger, a switch on the side offers an additional option...Vintage or Modern mode...two distinctly different sounds!). Vintage, obviously, offers a different take on a classic tubescreamer, while Modern mode offers a virtually different pedal, one that gives a transparent-sounding boost which, much like the Rhythm mode of the Twanger, can be left on for a thicker, more pleasing tone. Modern mode is louder than Vintage mode as it is much less compressed, and the Tone control has a much wider sweep than in Vintage mode. When in Vintage mode, the Tone control is active, but doesn't offer a wide range of dynamics...and it really doesn't need to as most tubescreamer users are after a particular tone which the PGS offers and then some! It's got plenty of creamy distortion on tap and is more pleasing to my ear than an Ibanez Vintage TS808 that I compared it with. Modern mode makes it almost two pedals in one with its transparent characteristic which alters your tone very little. It's great as a boost or a preamp and can also adjust the EQ of your natural tone, and humbuckers sounded just as great as single coils in that mode. I preferred it in Vintage mode only because I liked the sound of the distortion. It's a very useful pedal either way and offers lots of bang for your buck.

Fluorescent Orange Amp In A Box

Since I chose the 5th option in the poll...this is one of my faves from this box. It was just plain FUN to play...maybe not too practical for my uses, but fun! There is a ton of distortion and volume in this tiny little pedal and I used almost every bit of it at times. It's just too difficult to resist turning it up and risking hearing loss. I used it with delay some of the time, which sounded great, but this one can stand alone, too, if you just want high distortion. I've never played an old '70s-era Orange amp, so I can't speak to its authenticity, but I can tell you that it's one of the sweetest high gain tones I've ever heard coming out of my Blues Deluxe. As with the SBT, it offers a Volume and Master control as well as a Presence control instead of a Treble control. (There is no added switch on the side.) Once I adjusted it so that Master was at a minimum and Volume was maxed out, I continued to turn the Master volume up as well until I could stand it no more! The Presence knob worked well to adjust the in-your-faceness of the pedal. To me, this one sounded fantastic with all 3 pickup configurations, but with humbuckers and P-90s in particular. There's not much more to say other than that I want one! It's hard to stop playing this one as it's as loud as you can stand, offers tons of harmonics, and sounds simply brutal. I loved it!

Golden Acorn OverDrive Special

And this, obviously, was my other fave from the Tourbox. Modeled after the famously rare and very expensive Dumble amps (which I've never so much as been near), this one's got tone to die for. As with the FOAIAB, it sounded great with all 3 pickup configurations, though slightly dark (in a good, syrupy way) with humbuckers. The GAOS is the only one of this bunch that's yet to be released, but I can't wait till it is! Overdrive and distortion is great from low to medium...it just sounds good wherever the knobs end up (as long as you're at or near unity). The GAOS is not transparent-sounding at all, and offers a delicious amp-like tone no matter how high the gain is set. There's a Volume, Ratio and Bright control and, as with the FOAIAB, offers no further control via side switch. Ratio serves as Gain, and the Bright knob seems to be much like the Bright switch on a Fender amp, though with a bit wider range. I played this one primarily with humbuckers and loved every minute of it. If the FOAIAB is a fun but impractical pedal, the GAOS is a sensible but beautiful tone machine. I've tried other D-style pedals (and I own two), but as good as they are, this one beats them IMO. Although the tone of this pedal doesn't change drastically with knob adjustments, this is a very versatile pedal when it comes to style of musical genre. I could easily use this for blues, Americana, rock (classic or otherwise), R&B, and even hard rock (not metal, however, as it doesn't distort in that way or quite that much). This pedal truly sounds like a great amp. For practicality's sake, I guess I'd choose this one over the FOAIAB, but they're drastically different animals and are both extremely satisfying to play. Excellent!

Many thanks to Donner for wanting to do this Tourbox and to Björn for his excellent work on these One Control pedals! I'm looking forward to hearing what the rest of you think of this batch. :dude

Last edited:

musica23

Looking for @OverDrivenGtr who has thus far failed to answer my PMs regarding this Tourbox.

I understand when there's an emergency of some sort, but when I see that someone has posted on TGP as recently as two hours ago yet doesn't return my PM regarding sending out a Tourbox, I get mad. :Devil

I see that @OverDrivenGtr has posted on the "Belle Epoch Deluxe" thread. If anyone knows him and can convince him to give me an answer, I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry to all participants for this seemingly unnecessary delay. I'll keep you updated.

OverDrivenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
Looking for @OverDrivenGtr who has thus far failed to answer my PMs regarding this Tourbox.

I understand when there's an emergency of some sort, but when I see that someone has posted on TGP as recently as two hours ago yet doesn't return my PM regarding sending out a Tourbox, I get mad. :Devil

I see that @OverDrivenGtr has posted on the "Belle Epoch Deluxe" thread. If anyone knows him and can convince him to give me an answer, I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry to all participants for this seemingly unnecessary delay. I'll keep you updated.
Box is safe and sound and onto the next participant. I find it a bit funny that you, Cindy, claim to have heard nothing from me regarding the Tourbox. Did I not explain to you that last week I spent 6 days in the hospital? For the birth of my daughter who was 7.5 weeks early and still has yet to leave from said hospital. And that there may be a delay on me being able to try out or even send out the pedals for a bit? Or have you conveniently forgotten about this conversation we had? I admit you have sent a couple of PM's today and yesterday that I forgot to respond to, things have been hectic to say the least in my life these past two weeks. But I was ultimately waiting to have a tracking number for you and papersun, instead of another "Sorry haven't made it yet". That I admit is my fault and can see the frustration, but to go to the lengths of tracking me through other threads and calling me out as if I have tried to steal some pedals from you, when we spoke Saturday. I told you then, 2-3 days ago, that I was about to send the package out. You had then messaged me about changing the address to a new address as per a request from the next participant. This all seems a bit much to me. But you do you sister.

I apologize to all other participants for the delay, sometimes life gets in the way.

Last edited:

MIM#1

I'm watching this thread cause I love my One Control Anodized Brown, mosquite blender and [until I destoyed it] Tiger Lily tremolo.
Word of caution, do NOT try and remove these from the enclosures. I wanted to speed up the maximum rate on my TLT and destroyed the pedal in the process.These are NOT mooers that just lift out of the enclosures. They need to be completely de-soldered and dis-assembled. Probably the dumbest pedal fail I've managed in all my years of tinkering. Anyway thats all common sense, just sharing my mistake to hopefully prevent another casualty....:jo
These are by far the cream of the mini pedal crop and I'm waiting to hear some more reviews!

musica23

Box is safe and sound and onto the next participant. I find it a bit funny that you, Cindy, claim to have heard nothing from me regarding the Tourbox...

First let me say that I'm happy and relieved to hear that this Tourbox is finally on its way to papersun, and that it should get to him tomorrow. I apologize to all participants for the delay.

As for your comments regarding your "communications" with me, OverDrivenGtr, I'm afraid you've gotten more than a few things wrong. Yes, you did inform me that there was an unexpected emergency involving your girlfriend's pregnancy, and I NEVER claimed "to have heard nothing" from you. I asked you to send the Tourbox on if you didn't foresee being able to play the pedals within the next 3 days or so...and I wished you well. The next thing I heard from you was on Saturday, Jan. 28, when you wrote that you were preparing to send the Tourbox on and would provide tracking info "soon." (There was no news of a baby...congratulations, by the way!, and no info regarding your 6-day hospital ordeal. If there had been, this would not have happened.) And that was all I heard from you until now.

I'm happy to hear that you understand my frustration at not having heard a word from you beyond that. And now I understand that you were waiting to have actual tracking info to give me before replying at all. However, this all could have been avoided if you'd only have told me that you didn't yet get a chance to mail out the Tourbox. I PM'd you numerous times...that should have been a clue that I wanted an update, however short, as I am responsible for this Tourbox...and others are waiting for it. I understand that in an emergency, this is small potatoes! So I searched TGP to see if you'd been on/posted at all. When I found that you'd posted 2 hours prior to my latest PM (and at other very recent times), I naturally assumed that your emergency was over and that you'd update me. Unfortunately, I assumed incorrectly. It is my feeling that if you have time to post at all, you could easily have updated me, with or without tracking info.

I regret that you think my attempts to get an update from you seemed "a bit much" and especially that I was calling you out as if you'd tried to "steal some pedals" from me as that was not the case. There are rules for these Tourboxes (and not unreasonable ones, I might add) and I greatly appreciate it when folks follow them. Communication is essential. While I understand that you were in an unexpected emergency situation, another simple PM would have done the trick. I've been running Tourboxes for BearFoot FX and now for One Control for years, and I've yet to encounter a participant who was as difficult to locate as you, emergency or no. Furthermore, I think you'd find that I've consistently been more than fair and accommodating to all participants regarding emergencies, change of plans (i.e., change of participant order), extra time if needed, etc. Yes, I take my Tourbox responsibilities seriously, but I am very willing to work with participants.

I do apologize for trying to reach you via another thread...and I apologize to all of the posters on that thread as well. But after numerous PMs, a phone call, and after posting on THIS thread, I felt it was worth a shot. Something finally got your attention for which I am grateful. Again, I congratulate you on the birth of your daughter, and I wish you and your family all the best.

OverDrivenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
First let me say that I'm happy and relieved to hear that this Tourbox is finally on its way to papersun, and that it should get to him tomorrow. I apologize to all participants for the delay.

As for your comments regarding your "communications" with me, OverDrivenGtr, I'm afraid you've gotten more than a few things wrong. Yes, you did inform me that there was an unexpected emergency involving your girlfriend's pregnancy, and I NEVER claimed "to have heard nothing" from you. I asked you to send the Tourbox on if you didn't foresee being able to play the pedals within the next 3 days or so...and I wished you well. The next thing I heard from you was on Saturday, Jan. 28, when you wrote that you were preparing to send the Tourbox on and would provide tracking info "soon." (There was no news of a baby...congratulations, by the way!, and no info regarding your 6-day hospital ordeal. If there had been, this would not have happened.) And that was all I heard from you until now.

I'm happy to hear that you understand my frustration at not having heard a word from you beyond that. And now I understand that you were waiting to have actual tracking info to give me before replying at all. However, this all could have been avoided if you'd only have told me that you didn't yet get a chance to mail out the Tourbox. I PM'd you numerous times...that should have been a clue that I wanted an update, however short, as I am responsible for this Tourbox...and others are waiting for it. I understand that in an emergency, this is small potatoes! So I searched TGP to see if you'd been on/posted at all. When I found that you'd posted 2 hours prior to my latest PM (and at other very recent times), I naturally assumed that your emergency was over and that you'd update me. Unfortunately, I assumed incorrectly. It is my feeling that if you have time to post at all, you could easily have updated me, with or without tracking info.

I regret that you think my attempts to get an update from you seemed "a bit much" and especially that I was calling you out as if you'd tried to "steal some pedals" from me as that was not the case. There are rules for these Tourboxes (and not unreasonable ones, I might add) and I greatly appreciate it when folks follow them. Communication is essential. While I understand that you were in an unexpected emergency situation, another simple PM would have done the trick. I've been running Tourboxes for BearFoot FX and now for One Control for years, and I've yet to encounter a participant who was as difficult to locate as you, emergency or no. Furthermore, I think you'd find that I've consistently been more than fair and accommodating to all participants regarding emergencies, change of plans (i.e., change of participant order), extra time if needed, etc. Yes, I take my Tourbox responsibilities seriously, but I am very willing to work with participants.

I do apologize for trying to reach you via another thread...and I apologize to all of the posters on that thread as well. But after numerous PMs, a phone call, and after posting on THIS thread, I felt it was worth a shot. Something finally got your attention for which I am grateful. Again, I congratulate you on the birth of your daughter, and I wish you and your family all the best.
:aok

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Silver Supporting Member
So has anyone other than the person affiliated w the company actually played any of these?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom