BearFoot FX Tourbox USA '2015 Overdrive' (3BOD, MHs, SYOD3) ~ Reviews...demos...etc.!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by musica23, Jan 31, 2015.

1. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

The BearFoot FX Tourbox USA '2015 Overdrive' has OFFICIALLY BEGUN! :aok

I received both Tourboxes late yesterday and everything seems to be in order...3BOD, MHs and SYOD3...X 2! If you're a participant, please subscribe to this thread for easy access, updates, reviews and demos! I'll be keeping the Tourbox EAST for approximately one week, the Tourbox WEST through the weekend, and then I'll send them on their way!

SPECIAL NOTE re: each Model Hs: While Bjorn of BJFE was in town visiting DonneR, he signed some Model Hs pedals. In an attempt to preserve his musings, I'll apply DualLock above and below his sig/words. These pedals will later be SOLD as "dingers," so please enjoy...and make every attempt to leave Bjorn's writing unscathed. Thanks in advance! :wave

Pedals included in this Tourbox are:

BlueBerry Bass Overdrive (3BOD)

Model Hs (MHs)

Sparkling Yellow Overdrive 3 (SYOD3)

Just a reminder of the RULES:

- As soon as you receive the Tourbox, please post on this thread (or PM me) so we all know where it is! (I'll keep the lists updated as often as possible so you can refer to them at any time.) :)

- You may keep the Tourbox for up to a week (or longer if there's a hold-up involving BearFoot FX such as a pedal exchange/addition/etc.). If something comes up on your end, please make this thread and me aware ASAP. :idea

- Handle these pedals with care, and please report any mechanical or excessive cosmetic damage to me via PM immediately. :dunno

- The Tourbox must be sent via a track-able method and should be insured for $600. You may instead hand it off to the next person on the list if you're able to do so. :beer

- Share your findings, comments, comparisons with the thread via a written review and/or demo. PLEASE remember to tell us what type of gear you used -- humbuckers, tube vs. solid state amp, specific models, etc. -- while assessing these pedals! Your comments, thoughts and reviews are extremely helpful to DonneR in making sure the people get what they want and need! :cool:

- Please be as communicative as possible when receiving/sending the Tourbox (e.g., notify your recipient ahead of time, verify mailing address, supply tracking info, update the thread). :argue

- Have fun!!! :rotflmao

- If you have any questions/scheduling problems, etc., please PM me. I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP, and to accommodate your needs and/or request(s)! :drown

I'll be checking in here as often as possible to keep an eye on the whereabouts of the Tourboxes. And I'll be interested to read your feedback and watch/listen to any demos that might pop up. :munch

Please review the list of participants below. Contact me ASAP if you see a problem of any kind (e.g., you were told you're in but your name is not on the list, misspelled handle, etc.)! :JAM

Here are the lists of participants (IN ORDER):

EAST
    gripweed < ---------------------- reviewed, finished!
    IRG < ----------------------------reviewed, finished!
    ChampReverb < ------------------reviewed, finished!
    mkr1 < -------------------------- reviewed, finished!
    whitenoize < ---------------------reviewed, finished!
    thiscalltoarms < ------------------reviewed, finished!
    chrisjnyc < ---------------------- reviewed, finished!
    nl128 < --------------------------finished!
    Johnny Alien < -------------------asked to be removed...please SKIP!
    triggercut < --------------------- reviewed, finished!
    FuzzFaceJ < ---------------------finished!
    Lolaviola < -----------------------finished!
    Dennis E. < ----------------------reviewed, finished!
    onwingsoflead < ----------------- finished!
    PurpleJesus < --------------------asked to be removed...please SKIP!
    Prince < -------------------------asked to be removed...please SKIP!
    coltonius < ---------------------- finished!
    strangesounds < -----------------reviewed, finished...back home with Donner!

WEST

cwcashiniv < -------------------- reviewed, finished!
    GLinks < -------------------------reviewed, finished!
    jocfan1 < ----------------------- reviewed, finished!
    thecomposinator < ---------------reviewed, finished!
    Veritas < ------------------------ reviewed, finished!
    cbm < ---------------------------reviewed, finished!
    thechamp < --------------------- reviewed, finished!
    e-flat < ------------------------- reviewed, finished!
    redeyeflight < ------------------- finished!
    wrathfuldeity < ------------------reviewed, finished!
    friend33 < -----------------------reviewed, finished!
    Glowing Tubes < -----------------reviewed, finished!
    off2kamp < ----------------------asked to be removed...please SKIP!
    misc1600 < ----------------------asked to be removed...please SKIP!
    ((TechnicolorSkyline)) < --------- asked to be removed...please SKIP!
    skisquash < --------------------- reviewed, finished!
    wookiefoot < -------------------- finished!
    jbrown013 < ---------------------finished...back home with Donner!

I'll notify this thread (and the first recipient) when I send out each Tourbox. Calculate approximately when you'll receive the pedals by counting a week for each participant. If you foresee a problem with your position on the list (now or at ANY time), please contact me ASAP and I'll do what I can to accommodate your needs. If my PM box is full, please be patient...I check in frequently! :BluesBros

And as always...many, many thanks to DonneR for making this possible! :bow

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Subscribed. Can't wait!

3. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

4. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Great news!

5. musica23

:bumpbumpfor more participants to subscribe! :rockin

6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

This will be fun!

And I'm not last.

-bEn r.

7. musica23

Initial impressions...and a BUMP for participants to subscribe to this thread!

I've had a couple of chances to play and compare this group of BearFoots and I can honestly say that they're all 3 very impressive! I can also say that I'm not at all surprised, though the Model Hs is even better than I'd expected!

Yesterday I actually got out a bass and my humble Fender Rumble 100 bass amp for use with the BlueBerry Bass OD. I'm not a bassist, but I probably would have been better off going in that direction rather than standard guitar! Anyway, after about 3 hours of steady play, my fingers are a bit sore (not used to bass strings!), but I'm happy!

The 3BOD sounds great with bass AND guitar. I don't think I've ever used an effect pedal for bass, but I can see why bassists would want to add this to their rig! And I love the tone of this for regular guitar. It's the Father of the Honey Bee, so I guess that shouldn't be a surprise!

The SYOD3 has been out for a little while, but I've just now tried one. It's got a great tone to it in either position (1 or 2)...though the 2 are difficult for me to distinguish from each other without the gain/volume set pretty high. I initially thought the SYOD3 offered more gain than the SY1, but after comparing, they're virtually the same.

As for the Model Hs, it's fantastic! The versatility is incredible without giving up the great tones of the original Model H. This will likely be my fave of the 3, but I have more testing to do. :rockin

More to come...please subscribe if you haven't already! And prepare for a great time with all 3 of these winners from BearFoot!

8. GLinks

GLinks Member

I'm very much looking forward to stacking these with my low gain Emerald Green and Red Rooster into my '59 Bassman RI. Can't wait to try all the possibilities!

9. musica23

Since you mentioned the EGOD, GLinks...I stacked mine after the 3BOD with delicious results! :D

10. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I really want to hear more about the Model Hs at low gain. I was part of the initial test batch on the MH 4 knobber, and the thing I liked most was the tone with the gain between off and about 9:00. Thick low end, plenty of highs, punchy, somewhat compressed, but still open sounding due to balance of the mids. Mostly clean, but with a bit of an enveloped 3Dness, and when I dug in the gain and notes bloomed very very very roundly. Best comparison I can make is like a Two Rock clean made a love child with some kind of high headroom Marshall. Low gain, rounder, clear, clean, extremely high headroom, with plenty of bounce, and the gain resists sagging. Extremely fast, muscular, but not particularly crunchy.

Man, I am praying this thing is my dream pedal.

11. GLinks

GLinks Member

Hoohoo ha! That's awesome musica23. I kind of wondered if the 3BOD could be a surprise hit. I'm like TCTA - want to try the Model Hs the most followed by SYOD3, but totally excited about all the possibilities!

How near or far did your 3BOD into EGOD stack sound to your HBOD/EGOD stack?

12. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I'm also interested to hear about this comparison. I've recently been through another pedal purge, and settled in on a terrific & very basic setup of:

fuzz face > EGOD > HBOD > Pale Green Comp> Maxon AD80

Can't wait to check this tourbox out... I have a sneaking suspicion that I may end up with a Model Hs, as I love what I've heard of the MH in videos (tight like a solid state rectified HW hitting a 4x12) but need a "less hot" option. Donner & Bjorn just punched that ticket.

13. musica23

I'll be doing more testing, playing and comparing today, but I think you described the Model Hs pretty well with "thick low end, plenty of highs, punchy, somewhat compressed, but still open sounding due to balance of the mids"...I'd say it's VERY open-sounding and punchy. Also..."when I dug in the gain and notes bloomed very very very roundly" definitely applies.

I did compare it with my Model H 3 and 4-knobbers, which offer very little low gain as compared to the MHs. They've been my fave BearFoots for high gain. The MHs sound is closer to the 4-Knob than the 3 for all gain settings. I still favor the 3-knob for high gain stuff, I think, but the MHs is very comparable to the 4-knob when in high gain mode. I'll be doing more playing/listening today to verify, stack, etc.!

Well, then, I've got at least one stack I MUST do! I didn't get around to throwing the HBOD into the mix, but I'll definitely do that today. I would guess that the stack would be similar to the 3BOD, with the HBOD not being as bassy (in a good way), but I shall see/hear!

The 3BOD > EGOD sounded very fuzz-like at even medium gain settings to me. Plenty of highs and lows, and lots of gain if wanted...almost muff-like, I guess.

As much fun as this is, there are so many possibilities with stacking that it's kinda overwhelming! I know I won't get to all of those possibilities, but I'm gonna get to as many as possible before sending the Tourboxes on. I'm now stacking the SYOD3s and 3BODs together...and I'll do that with the MHs as well before packing them up. Tough work, but somebody's gotta do it! :love:

A "less hot" MH will be on its way to you and all participants...definitely! And if you want "hot," you can have that, too. I'm extremely impressed with the Model Hs. I'll leave it at that for now. More "work" to do...:rockin

14. whitenoize

whitenoize Member

Looking forward to checking this TB out...I've been through at least 8 Bjfe MH's,
    from the very first custom shop fuller wider frequency run to the four knobbers, so the model HS in particular is very intriguing...I mean like the emerald green overdrive, The model H to me was always pegged for lower gain applications for a lot of the reasons how "Thiscalltoarms" described it...curious about the SYOD 3 as well.

15. Dennis E.

Dennis E. Silver Supporting Member

'scribed!

now for some patience ...

:waiting

16. musica23

I hear ya, Dennis E. :console

Finally...the wait is almost over...for getting things going, at least! I'm planning on sending both Tourboxes out late today/tomorrow morning (if I can let go of them!!!!!), so we should be rolling for real by Monday. :aok

More to follow regarding my impressions of all 3 pedals...prepare to rock. :rockin

17. musica23

It's finally official...the BearFoot FX Tourbox USA '2015 Overdrive' has REALLY BEGUN! :aok

Both Tourboxes are now heading for the first participants on the lists, and they should get to them by Monday if USPS does right by us.

In the meantime, I've cast my vote in the poll for my fave...the Model Hs! It's no real surprise to me that it's my fave of the 3, but it IS surprising how tough it was to make the call, as I enjoyed both the 3BOD and the SYOD3 nearly as much.

Reviews, comments and observations from me to come...:wave

18. hhylkema

hhylkema Supporting Member

Question: what about the 3 knob do you favor? I'm kind of in same boat at the moment and I'm wondering if we're hearing the same thing. I LOVE the fat bottom end on the 3k but with plenty of clarity with the tone knob at 3:00 or so. I'm curious to hear your thoughts and any settings on the 5k that gets you close (enough).

19. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

The Model Hs has me on edge.

I haven't even heard it yet but my bones are twitching "buy, buy, buy".

-bEn r.

20. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Do it!!!

I couldn't wait :) Just got mine today, and it's amazing! It's crazy, it makes my little 1x12 combo sound like a full stack and It's got this wall rattling thickness that I've never experienced in a pedal before. Also excels at low gain, with all that same thickness but with so much clarity and note separation. Great stacker too, it really loves the EGDM and Honey Bee!