• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Bearfoot HBOD, people still loving theirs?

Reg18

After many years I finally took the plunge and got a Honey Bee.
I'm not too familiar with it but people say it's one of the best low gain OD pedals
Around, I would have said it was more in the medium gain range and was considering it
As a better second stage gain pedal, people's thoughts on that?
One of the reasons is that i feel it might not be as good for a stage one/always on low gainer is the fact it always seems to add some girth in the low end meaning it takes away some of the chime of my AC30 even at extreme fully clockwise settings on the nature knob.......am I doing this wrong?
Dont get me wrong, it certainly sounds good and adding some girth to my Vox is often welcome, however most of the time I just want a little more gain but still
Retain the chimey open nature of my AC30 and I can't seem to get it with this.

Anyone got any advise on how to set the knobs, really want to love this one but at this stage It might be just used as a second gain stage or boost which seems a waste for the amount I paid.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Still have mine after several years. It's my fav overdrive.

Turning the nature knob up high will help. Also turning up the gain above 2:00 also changes the feel and voicing more than just adding gain. This is a super tweedish sounding and feeling tone which is the opposite of voxy tone.

Dinner could definitely explain this better than I.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
I run my knobs around 10:00 and make slight adjustments to taste. This gives me a very light Drive with a subtle low end bump and a slight darkening of highs without much change to the MIDS.

Anyone got any advise on how to set the knobs, really want to love this one but at this stage It might be just used as a second gain stage or boost which seems a waste for the amount I paid.
OP, could you say a bit about you AC30 settings? What guitar / pickups are you running?

EDIT: Never mind, I see the info about your guitar in your sig. That sounds like a cool guitar! :aok

If you're looking to retain chime, maybe the HBOD isn't right for your needs.
If you want chime and want to stay in the BJFE / Bearfoot camp, might I suggest checking out the Emerald Green Overdrive? To me, It's like a British Honey Bee in that it still has a nice compression & "amp like" feel but has the ability to dial in more highs and has a different midrange character. Terrific OD, and it sounds like it may retain what you like about the Honey Bee while addressing the "chime" deficiency.

Last edited:

eugen_onegin

Still loving mine! I sold the first one to pay off rent or something back in the day. Then I found one for sale at my local shop in MD and couldn't resist. More and more I have been turning the gain back a little. Kicking in my buzzaround fuzz stacked with the HBOD is like a swarm of killer bee's being shot out of a canon that's mounted to a freight train.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
The dirt response is dynamic and dependant on input level - so if you are running a humbucker in it is more a medium OD ... if you are using single coils its a low gainer ( one reason we made the Honey beest with the pre dirt additional gain stage)

and yes the emerald Green OD is a Voxish/British Honey Bee - the dirt and level control show the same level as the Honey Bee in fact ..... enjoy

Lt_Core

I love my Bearfoot Silver Bee OD, which is more Fender overdrive sounds. I enjoyed the Bearfoot tour box from earlier this year & ended up buying the Silver Bee. I did like the honey bee too, just like the more openness of the silver bee.

Reg18

In fact I have played an EGDM through this setup as well, it sounded great too but just too much gain for what im aiming for.
I run my Vox on the edge of breakup with an EP booster and opti comp always on before any overdrives.
Played the Honey Bee again today and it does sound great! A very musical gain break up.
I've got a Morning Glory V4 on the way as well so maybe I'll just run the Honey Bee and Morning Glory both on the board. Can use either for different sounds and no doubt they would stack well too!

seth3

I'll second (third?) the EGOD suggestions. I just got one to go with my HBOD (which is still my favorite OD ever...) and it is exactly what you're looking for.

But keep the HBOD. As @e-flat said, keep the dials at 10-ish and it is a remarkable drive. The EGOD stacked into the HBOD is heavenly!

lizardking

Silver Supporting Member
I have the uber bee and it's amazing. But like someone else said might not be the sound you're looking for.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
In fact I have played an EGDM through this setup as well, it sounded great too but just too much gain for what im aiming for.
I run my Vox on the edge of breakup with an EP booster and opti comp always on before any overdrives.
Played the Honey Bee again today and it does sound great! A very musical gain break up.
I've got a Morning Glory V4 on the way as well so maybe I'll just run the Honey Bee and Morning Glory both on the board. Can use either for different sounds and no doubt they would stack well too!
Emerald Green Overdrive is the low gain version of the Emerald Green Distortion.

Reg18

I think I'll wait for my Morning Glory to turn up and see how they all stack together before I make any rash eBay purchases.
Have re bought pedals back in the past sometimes because I didn't fully explore how to set them up the first time.

ES330

always seems to add some girth in the low end meaning it takes away some of the chime of my AC30 even at extreme fully clockwise settings on the nature knob.......am I doing this wrong?
Nature knob clockwise past noon removes the highs.
Nature knob counter clockwise past noon keeps the highs but adds bass.
Maybe start with all knobs at 10:30 to 11 and go from there.

Reg18

Nature knob adds highs and lows below halfway? Interesting, so straight up and down in the middle would be the most high end?
I'll have to have another go (as soon as our toddler wakes from his nap and my wife gives me the approval!)

ES330

Nature knob adds highs and lows below halfway? Interesting, so straight up and down in the middle would be the most high end?
I'll have to have another go (as soon as our toddler wakes from his nap and my wife gives me the approval!)
Nature knob adds bass counterclockwise past noon, but keeps the highs with adding to the highs.
Nature knob cuts treble as as you turn it clockwise past noon.

Most high end is straight up, or the Nature less than noon

Reg18

So because everyone hear's things differently I did a quick demo on my iPhone of what im hearing.
I can defiantly get some great tones and think I prefer the nature knob somewhere between 9 and 12. Excuse the very bad lighting, the sound is the important bit!

Last edited:

Reg18

Ok the more I play this the more I like it! Thanks for the help understanding the settings a little better guys.

Drewski

Gold Supporting Member
I mean, it is sort of an amp in a box, and the amp its supposed to be inst terribly chimey, so thats not too surpirsing to hear.... Turn your vox into a supro!

ChipOnly

I still love mine. I agree, not what I would describe as a low gainer, but then again I run it about noon on all controls.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom