Bearfoot mint green and pale green enroute

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sstweed, Mar 25, 2015.

1. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

...and I have no real idea how to use either. I plan to use the mini vibe as a very subtle trem. No real need for a chewy vibe sound like we're used to with most vibes and vibe users. But I love the subtle settings in the demos. So three dimensional. How do you use it?

And the pale green, well when they say the compressor for people who hate compressors, they're talking about me. But again, the demos really sound good. But do I want to drive overdrives with it, or run after overdrives? And what about fuzzes like my skreddy screwdriver or Analogman astrotone. Comp before or after?

Thanks in advance.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I like my comp before my drives and I use it with my drive pedals to even out the notes. Try putting the vibe before dirt as well.

3. sstweed

I'll probably try both locations for both pedals. But just wondering what others have done.

4. sstweed

Well, they both just got delivered to my door step so I'll let anyone who's care know pretty quickly. NPD x2. Pretty exciting for me!

5. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

Congratulations, hope you enjoy your Mini Vibe as much as I do! according to Donner it is designed to be placed before dirt, but that does not mean it could not work otherwise.

6. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Have fun!
    I was really into the sound of HBOD > PGC, but the other way around might float some peoples' boat more. (Driving HBOD into saturation with greater compression / evening out the dynamics)

7. sstweed

I had a quick (VERY quick) chance over lunch to plug them in and get a first impression. Initially I preferred the vibe after OD because it was more subtle there. I'm not a traditional vibe kinda guy. I'm looking for that 3d brownface vibro-trem at a very low amplitude settings sort of sound. In front of OD it was more chewy like a vibe lover would want to hear, but subtle was more difficult to obtain. Also, even though the MGMV is a thousand times more neutral to your tone than a regular univibe style vibe, it still did alter my tone some which I may or may not grow attached too. There was some hiss that pulsed at the rate that might bug me. All typical stuff for a vibe. I'll have to see if the vibe thing is really for me. I play out tonight so I'll get a little time in a good mix with it. It might just require more experimentation than 10 minutes over lunch would allow me.

The pale green comp got Velcro immediately. Very cool pedal. I didn't like it in front of the screwdriver but I did like it in front of the honey bee. To be fair the screwdriver just always sounds better by itself. Everything I have tried to stack with it just distracted from the pedal. I liked the PGC after the HBOD also. I'm sure much experimentation remains for this pedal. I can't wait to play my old bass through it. More fun to come.

8. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Man, the HBOD just loves everything thrown at it! I was playing at lunch with:
    Tele > NKT275 FuzzFace > TS808 > BF EGOD > BF HBOD > Maxon AD80 Delay > Amp

Minor variations on this have been my main rig lately.

I have started just leaving the HB on with the gain up around 11:00-12:00, volume at unity, and Nature around 9:30. It makes everything before it sound better, and acts as the "glue" that gives them all a cohesive sound.

So glad you're digging the PGC!

9. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

The MGMV does alter the tone but in a very good and subtle way IMHO. So much so that I sometimes leave it on with very little or no movement at all. It just enhances your tone and helps it cut through the mix really well, but this is apparent only in a band context. Also, I think that it sounds great with some dirt, much better than many vibes I tried.

10. sstweed

Well after playing out last night I can tell you both of these pedals really thrive in a mix. I can't even tell you what's going on with the PGC. It was on all night. I had it adjusted to where I couldn't hear any obvious breathing like a typical compressor. It just sounded so good there was no reason to turn it off. It didn't affect the overdrives ability to recreate dynamics, it didn't add noise, it didn't squish anything. It just sounded better. I can't explain it and I don't care to. It sounded good, that's all I care about.

The MGMV did much better live and loud then it did at home. It's effect on my tone was more subtle and the effect itself could be adjusted to be very subtle. Still not sure I prefer it to a straight tremolo set very subtly but it is a different color and sounded very cool on some songs.

Overall I am now very happy with what I can do with this pedal board. Everything works very well with that marshall DSL I'm using lately. And that amp IMO is a very picky amp. The amp can sound good, but it's precarious. It is danged easy to make it sound bad. It's been a frustrating year catering to its whims. But I think I have got things adjusted and have assembled a system that works with it now.

[​IMG]

11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Awesome, Mapleneck.
    The PGC is the "More Better" pedal, for sure. I thought of it more as a preamp / enhancer... Very subtle, but it just enhances what is good about a good setup.

12. sstweed

It was a good pedal day for me. Funny thing, both the PGC and the MGMV had the same original owner. And the HBOD and the Screwdriver were bought from the same guy at the same time. The board is a collection of other people's cast offs. But I'm happy!