Bearfoot Model H with Single-Coils and Fenders?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Musicmaster, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Musicmaster

Musicmaster Supporting Member

Hello my fellow TGPers,

I've been considering taking the plunge on a Bearfoot Model H (4-knob, maybe Hs) and I'm wondering if anybody uses it with neck position single-coils through Fender amps?
    I run a neck single-coil through a '68 Princeton, and am wondering if the Model H would be good for some high-gain lead tones through my "clean" platform...
    This pedal is one of the last on my list to try before I give up on high-gain effects pedals altogether, and just buy a second amplifier for my dirt tones!

Any advice/experiences with the Model H and a similar setup would be appreciated.

2. Grenville

Grenville Member

I don't know if it IS a high-gain, but it DOES sound wonderful with a Strat, big, full, girthy.

3. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I had a 3 knob Model H and played it through a Fender clean amp or equivalent. My main guitars are Strats.

It's not a super high-gain pedal, so if that's what you're looking for with the neck pickup of a low powered Strat neck pickup, then I would look elsewhere. It does sound really nice with a Strat though.

I really loved that pedal with medium output humbuckers. Great range of tones with the guitar volume knob.

4. Musicmaster

Thanks for the input, guys... I'd heard that the Model H was one of the (if not the) highest gain pedal Bearfoot offers. Does Bearfoot as a company just not offer high-gain tones, period? I've heard that they are amazingly amp-like, just maybe not for high-gain amp simulations?

5. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Not to derail, but you should try a Mad Prof Sky Blue.

High gain od that would work for your needs.

I want to try the Hs because of its low gain abilities.

6. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

is the H modeled after a Hiwatt sound?

7. Musicmaster

It is, indeed.

8. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I use the Model H as a low gainer. It's brilliant for rhythm, just like old HiWatts. With the gain all the way down on the pedal, it sounds more or less exactly like Live at Leeds through my Fender Twin. For leads, I hit it with a fuzz, and it smoothes the fuzz out nicely.

9. hhylkema

hhylkema Supporting Member

I LOVE my model H. It does great with my Strat and it is just over the top wih my ASAT.

I use the 3 knob version (tried the Hs but prefered the 3k)

10. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I haven't tried the 4k or Hs Models, but if you just want another Bjorn-designed option, check out the Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion. It started like as the BJFe Cliffhanger II.

The Bearfoot Hs was on my short list along with the Dr. Scientist The Elements, as I'm in the market for a higher gain distortion right now... I still plan to try them at some point; but after more listening and research, I ended up ordering a Suhr Riot. I wanted something that was available in black as well... (See my board in my sig) and Rogue Guitar Shop has black Riots right now for $160 with free shipping. I couldn't pass that up. The Riot seems like just what I'm looking for, even more so than the Riot Reloaded which has a bit more gain, but with added mids. It seemed less clear to me. Kind of wooly.

We'll see how the Riot goes. If it's not the one, I'll probably order a Bearfoot Hs and an Elements and shoot those out.

11. uyarchie

uyarchie Member

Ive got the Hs and the 3k, i do prefer the 3k better. Id say it gets to the high-gain territory, just big, fat high gain.

12. Musicmaster

This one looks interesting... I'm going to have to check out some demos!
    Thanks for the recommendation.

13. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

I've bought and sold the Sky Blue twice and the one in the emporium is tempting me even though I don't need it.

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have the 4H and here's my comments -

1. Treble and midrange controls really have a lot going on. It seems like they interact or should I say, turning one up and on down gives you different options. Hard to explain it, but I find all kinds of cool sounds.

2. Very, very amp like. Sometimes almost too much, it's really dynamic with the volume control. While the gain remains, the volume really changes.

3. Didn't like with a Vox but with the Tungsten it's pretty cool.

4. Not a "Metal or brootalz" pedal, but definitely old Marshall levels of gain with a Les Paul. More articulate with better definition, but not etched or overly bright. There's just a different feel to this pedal than most anything else I've used.

15. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Kills with single-coils through a clean Swart.

16. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Gosh, this guy can't be more right. This pedal just SLAYS with single coils (or HB's) through smaller watt amps. With my Swart STR, it turned that slightly dirty tone into an all-out rhythm and lead machine. I loved it! :love:

I have a '69 SFSR and a Model Hs - I think I like it's rhythm tone better with HB's (I have a 2010 LP Trad.) and lead tones with strats. I think having both the tone and treble controls make it easy to dial in how smooth or biting you want the overall tone of the pedal to have. It does do dynamics well with rolling off the volume on your guitar, but I think it excels at volume pushing clean or just barely breaking up amps. I hope that helps!