Beat Buddy vs. Trio: What's the verdict?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ruiner, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Now that the Trio has been out for a while. What's the verdict?

Beat Buddy or Trio?

What are the pros and cons of each?

2. Scott57

Scott57 Member

I don't think the TRIO gets released until the end of this month / beginning of next month.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Oh.

Must have read the last thread i was looking at wrong....

My bad, nothing to see here!

:facepalm

4. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Anyone seen any vids of the beat buddy's electronic\techno kits?

5. go49ners

go49ners Supporting Member

In my opinion, just from demos the Trio seems to be the winner. I like to keep things simple and just play. With the Beat Buddy, to get a convincing drum track you need to learn every little nuance of when to hit the button, when to hold it, when to add in fills, add splash hits, etc all while playing guitar and possibly singing (unless you want the same 4 bars of drums repeating over and over) which if I wanted that I'd just use a drum track for a lot less money. Andy from PGS does a great job demoing the Beat Buddy but it looks like he's tap dancing as he constantly has to hit stuff on the pedal to keep the track sounding convincing.

With the Trio, I like the idea of just playing through a chord progression once and bam you have an instant band behind you. No fuss and super simple. Seems like the ideal practice tool for bedroom jammers like myself. If you're playing on stage the Trio could be a little trickier because you can't save presets, but for me I wouldn't use this in live situations.

FOR ME, the winner is the Trio hands down because it seems way more simple to setup and just start PLAYING without all the tinkering and complications of stomping on the thing constantly. And the price is almost HALF of the Beat Buddy...

6. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Dont think they are really that similar. You need to program the beats for the beat buddy... and it looks like it has a lot more drum sounds.

8. go49ners

go49ners Supporting Member

I would agree they are different, but they are essentially the only pedals in this new drum pedal category so they will be compared closely. To me the Beat Buddy is superior if you're looking for a comprehensive selection of drum sounds and presets and play live solo shows.

The Trio seems to be much more plug-n-play, and simple to use for a bedroom jammer that wants to play with a band anytime they want. The appeal to me is the price tag and seemingly ease of use. I can't wait to try one out.

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Yeah Im really interested in the Trio...
    Ive been happily using the Beat Buddy for months....
    I think alot will have to do with how you are using it....
    It would make a huge difference if you could switch the bass in and out separately from the drums.... start playing with the drums while the bass is trackng and then bring it in after afew bars and it would sound natural ...

In the live singer/songwriter/covers situation the trio is kinda worthless as you cant stand there between every song and play a few bars waiting for the bass algo to catch up....
    Although with the bass turned off it still might be a more useful drum machine with auto fills - but then again your locked into 4/4 or whatever...

The BeatBuddy is about as weird as learning to use a wahwah .... once you get the feel of it, it becomes second nature ....

Ive been doing a 'trio' with the Beat Buddy and an EHX B9 for background keys and a TC Helicon harmony pedal.... quite a tapdance but not as crazy as it sounds... would be fun to get the trio bass in there too ...

I will def get a Trio when they release it .... I can already see a v2 with a different live footswitch extension of separate bass/drums and tap tempo would get my vote.

10. celticelk

celticelk Member

Because that's not what it was designed for. It's a continual source of amazement to me that so many people criticize manufacturers for the poor performance of their products in situations which are explicitly outside of their design parameters.

11. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

12. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

Sig worthy!

13. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Not a criticism .... an application missed 'suggestion' .... more potential market share...

Its just a matter of the programming - the footswitch extension is there ....

Constructive criticism leads to productive change ....

This would be the difference between useful and not useful to me and thats what I expressed.

14. david henman

david henman Member

...yep...strange comparison...apples to oranges...

15. texasdave

texasdave Member

I do agree with your general sentiment, but I'm not sure Digitech has tried to "explicitly" tell us what uses are outside of their design parameters. I'll go on to say that's probably not worded well but let's agree that we're in general agreement but maybe there's some grey area here w/ this product.

I have some songs I could do a verse and chorus and then bring in drums and bass and the unit would handle it well. I knew prior to the shipment of the pedal that you wouldn't be able to "train" parts 2 & 3 in the middle of a song. Do I think or know if there would be the potential for a firmware upgrade that would allow the drum track to continue on part 2 and 3 while I play chords for a bridge, then let the pedal add the bass line on the next pass? No idea, but If it's possible, it would go a long way to making the unit more usable live and on the fly. I've seen other comments about potentially sync'ing the Trio to an XT series looper. Again, no idea if it's possible, but I can understand why others would beg the question.

I've only got about 20 mins in to using the Trio, and my initial impression is the bass is going to be a much greater use FOR ME as a practice tool. Adding drums on the fly live has much more potential.

Anyway, it's an interesting tool and the USB port on the back could very well mean that the TRIO of today finds some refinements.

BTW, There's an UPDATER software package on the TRIO page and there is a DSP UPGRADE already out (from version 1.1 to version 1.3) Ran it on a Mac w/out issue. Have not found any documentation as to the changes of bug fixes.

Texasdave

16. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

"It's just software..."

I think you underestimate the difficultly of such endeavors....

17. nbtrue

nbtrue Supporting Member

Bump. Anyone got a chance to compare these? I'm thinking of using it more for practice than actual live use.

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

I have both .... I use the Beat Buddy and it sounds very real with other instruments .... and I recently got into up loading the new vintage 60s Ludwig kit and thats what I use all the time as the fills are more what I like ..... the Trio is very good too, but the bass stuff is worthless for my application ---but the Trio sounds better than the Beat Buddy mini...

nbtrue likes this.
  19. david henman

david henman Member

...back in my day (geezer alert!!!) i used a device called a boss dr5 (i have three of them). for a songwriter, it was like having a four-piece band of multi-instrumentalists and a 4-track demo studio, available 24-7, at no cost save the initial purchase price. these days, garageband provides a similar service, albeit somewhat reluctantly...

awallace and Don Rusk like this.
  20. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member