Beatles fans, so we know how brilliant their song writing was, BUT ...

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
.... there are a few songs that were kind of lame too. Nobody is perfect.

What are some of the songs you didn't care for?

I heard Octopus's Garden this morning and never have been into it for some reason. It's not Ringo either, I like his singing on other songs he's done. It's too bubble gum popish for me.

Revolution #9 - it was messy, let's be honest. John did it just because he could :red

She's Leaving Home - Yeah, well, nice song but I'm not into harps and the story line didn't do too much for me.

Long and Winding Road - Its just one of those songs that you can tolerate, but wouldn't mind if the CD locked up from a piece of dust and then just moved on to the next song :confused: Maybe it is all the symphony instruments, I don't know (I haven't heard the naked version).

There are probably several more but go ahead and name a few that you don't like and why you don't like them.

Bussman

I LOVE Octopus' Garden. Only the Beatles could pull off something like this, very tongue in cheek. They took what may have been a lame tune if done by any other band and made it unmistakably Beatles: the backing vocals, the guitar solos, the blowing bubbles, etc. Way cool IMHO. Never fails to put a smile on my face!

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
Long and Winding Road - Its just one of those songs that you can tolerate, but wouldn't mind if the CD locked up from a piece of dust and then just moved on to the next song :confused: Maybe it is all the symphony instruments, I don't know (I haven't heard the naked version).
Listen to the Naked version. It's MUCH better. I couldn't stand this song until I heard the Naked version.

Run for your Life- Bad lyrics and sounds pretty amateurish compared to the rest of Rubber Soul. I think even John said he didn't like this one.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer- I always thought this song really weak, on an otherwise perfect album.

Revolution 9- Totally agree with you.

Dr. Robert- Not terrible, but one I always skip past. The weakest song on Revolver, by far.

There are a few others, but the Beatles ratio of great to not so great is better than any other band in history, IMO.

Last edited:

gmann

Personally, I didn't care for most of Let it Be, but Abbey Road was so freakin' brilliant from beginning to end that I don't care.
To each his own but I don't get how people slag Let It Be. I mean there's Let It Be, Long & Winding Road, Get Back, Two Of Us, Across The Universe, I Me Mine, and the rooftop stuff rocks! One After 909, I've Got A Feeling. Most people would kill to record an LP this good.

SW33THAND5

the long and winding road is beautiful....

you don't like she's leaving home either? maybe you just like to RAWK more. get in touch with your softer side TWEEDY

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
It's interesting to see what versions of Beatles records people own. There's a repeated reference to Dr. Robert on Rubber Soul. But when it originally came out in the US, Dr. Robert was on Yesterday and Today. The track list on Rubber Soul was as listed below:

I've Just Seen A Face
Norwegian Wood
You Won't See Me
Think For Yourself
The Word
Michelle
It's Only Love
Girl
I'm Looking Through You
In My Life
Wait
Run For Your Life

bluesjunior

the Beatles like most Brits growing up in the 50's were influenced by that great British institution the Music Hall. Songs like When I'm 64, Octopus Garden are influenced by this, maybe why some of you don't "get" them.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
the long and winding road was my mom's fave beatles song. that said, she also loved the carpenters and englebert humperdink. that said, so did most of popular america at the time. guess you gotta put the elevator music in context.

cob666

It's interesting to see what versions of Beatles records people own. There's a repeated reference to Dr. Robert on Rubber Soul. But when it originally came out in the US, Dr. Robert was on Yesterday and Today.
Very good point, I grew up with the US versions of all of those albums and I had never even heard the song Dr. Robert until the CDs came out because they were all the UK versions. My parents never had Yesterday and Today.
There are still times when I'm listening to Rubber Soul in order when I'll expect to hear a different song play next.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
I LOVE Octopus' Garden. Only the Beatles could pull off something like this, very tongue in cheek. They took what may have been a lame tune if done by any other band and made it unmistakably Beatles: the backing vocals, the guitar solos, the blowing bubbles, etc. Way cool IMHO. Never fails to put a smile on my face!
I used to hate this song. Well, maybe hate is too strong a word for it. Then, as I listened to Abbey Road on the 9-9-09 remasters, it struck me as how brilliant it actually was. Especially the arrangement, which is something I'm really getting into these days.

the long and winding road is beautiful....

you don't like she's leaving home either? maybe you just like to RAWK more. get in touch with your softer side TWEEDY
LOL, this. One reason, in spite of the fact that the Beatles ignited my desire to play back in '64 :)omg), that when I started getting into music during the guitar-straganza solo-as-self-expression in the '70s, I thought songs like these were lame. Now, as I gain a greater appreciation for the song as a whole and not just a vehicle for guitar solos, these tunes are opening up whole new avenues for my playing. Am I getting older, yes, and it sure beats the alternative. :D

However, I do want to make this perfectly clear. I am NOT in favor of jettisoning the guitar, or other instruments, in favor of auto-tuned vocals by egotistical attention whores who think the music is all about them. This is where the bubble gum pop that the good doctor accuses "Octopus' Garden" of being, is in fact so many orders of galactic magnitude greater than say "Friday" or whatever that song was. :roll

frickengruvin

Gold Supporting Member
I always snicker when I read a thread like this, because many of the folks that post on it will just not like a song (which is fine), but not understand what circumstances it was written under, or the fact that prior to Revolver, The Beatles released 6 albums (not including singles they released separately). That's 6 albums in 4 years, not including their hit singles.....They were prolific at their craft, and in my opinion, will never be eclipsed in that light.
Personally, I'm not a fan of Revolution No. 9 (however- it is amazing when playing it backwards on your turntable, it offers "Turn Me On Deadman"... I'm also not a big fan of "Good Night"...they have a couple of releases that had filler by their own testament, but compared to todays releases that are a single surrounded by filler....well, you get the idea...

cbmccarthy

I didn't think Dr. Robert was anything special either until I read the story behind it. IIRC, part of it concerns the NYC doctor who introduced John and George to LSD. Something like the lads had to leave the party Dr. Robert was hosting early and on the way down to the lobby, John and George saw the interior of the elevator consumed by flame.

guitarz1972

I agree Revolution #9 is so experimental it's not really not counted as one of their hit songs. The other songs listed by the OP: not the best Beatles songs for sure, but I bet they'd have probably been hits if done by a few other bands at the time. Maybe..?

As an aside, a friend in high school absolutely loved the song "Norweigan Wood." But, bless his heart: he had no clue that it was about a guy who gets dumped by a girl and then burns her house down. He was actually crushed when I explained that to him.

guitarzan58

The beautiful thing about the Beatles was that Lennon & McCartney as a team would each call ******** on the other's less than great ideas. Look at their post-Beatles songwriting; higher percentage of turds in their respective catalogs.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I think a great band making great albums REQUIRES some "breaks" in the greatness to truly appreciate it.

Kinda like when it's sunny after 6 days of rain, it's really awesome.

In any case, I don't slight any of their stuff... with the notable exception of Revolution number 9... ugh...

angus99

the Beatles like most Brits growing up in the 50's were influenced by that great British institution the Music Hall. Songs like When I'm 64, Octopus Garden are influenced by this, maybe why some of you don't "get" them.
Thanks for saying what I'd have liked to. I give them massive props for having the cajones to release songs like this that were clearly out of the mainstream for their times. They added incredible variety, texture and humor to their catalogue and helped them push farther out of the boy band mould. It's interesting that audiences of their day clearly did "get" these songs, and surprising to me that many today apparently don't.

Trending Topics