Beatles Gear

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aram, Aug 30, 2008.

1. aram

aram Member

Does anyone know of any websites that have a detailed account of Beatles gear.

I'm looking for something that will go through each album and song, and say x guitar, though y pedal, through z amp, for all the different guitar parts.

i'm embarassed to say this, but i feel like i've never delved into the beatles like i should have, so i'm going to spend the next couple of months (i know, i could spend a lifetime) exploring there music and tones.

any help would be appreciated!!!

:)

2. frank62

frank62 Member

There is a book by that very title.

3. aram

aram Member

yeah i have the book. but i want something more detailed.

like on song x, george plays x guitar in the first verse, and then y guitar for the solo.

i know that's pretty detailed, but there has to be something like that out there.

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

There isn't. it's mostly speculation, though the early years have very educated guesses, combined with photographic evidence, like I can tell you the Paul used the Rickenbacker bass on Paperback writer and John used a Gretsch.

Some things are well documented, but from rubber soul to Abbey Road (excluding Let It Be) it's very shrouded. Of course, some songs, you can clearly hear a Strat, or a Les Paul, that kind of thing.

beatgearcavern.com is a forum where a bunch of crockety old guys talk about Beatles gear and complain that no reissue is close enough. Stay out of "Dead Grotty" though. nothing but political jimmer jammer.

BTW, the only time that much detail was really taken was during the Help Sessions. George Martin kept note of it all, but failed to see the point rather early on.

5. aram

aram Member

cool. thanks nick! i'll check out that website.

i love reading crotchety old dudes talking about gear!
    :)

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

Also, check out as many interviews as possible, especially with Paul and George - they've tended to let lots of details about individual tracks out, for instance a recent GP where Paul talks about the Epiphone semi-hollow being used for the "Taxman" solo, etc.

7. RhombusJr

RhombusJr Member

http://perso.wanadoo.es/sissu/maingear.htm

This site has something close to what you're looking for. It lists who played what on each song, but isn't as detailed as to say what instrument was played on each part of each song. Not sure how accurate it is, but its probably not too far off.

8. SGNick

SGNick Member

It's actually very far off. Aside from session musicians (records were mostly kept) It's not any more definitive than any other source. I'm just scanning through the White Album and there are many mistakes based solely on documented photos, ears, and logical piecing together.

9. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  10. auraelux

auraelux Member

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

12. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

This is what you want.....
    http://www.recordingthebeatles.com/
    I have it and it's very,
    very detailed. It's also
    one of the most beautiful
    books I ever seen as far
    as layout, photos, overall
    presentation, etc.

13. henry_the_horse

henry_the_horse Member

Do not give him a dime in advance till that eternal book is physically tangible and on sale on a stand. It's exactly the kind of chat SGNick was talking about. One day we will find out what the connection of the Beatles to the Vox Phamtom guitar is all about, won't it Nick?
    The beatgearcavern is a well kept reservoir of beatle gear lore.

Regards.

14. Birdsmoke

Birdsmoke Member

I agree completely. This is an outstanding book. You'll find information here that you'll find nowhere else.

15. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

the complete guide lists john as the lead singer for yellow submarine???!?

dk

16. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Interesting links guys!

17. SGNick

SGNick Member

For starters as to how innacurate those sites are...

They list George playing his SG on Abbey Road.

Not only was the part listed most likely played by Paul, George hadn't used his SG since 66, and gave it away in 68. How could he use it in 69?

18. frank62

frank62 Member

^Maybe he borrowed it back? While it is somewhat intresting as to what they used and when the important thing for me is how they used it. No matter what gear they used it would still be The Beatles.

19. SGNick

SGNick Member

He gave it to the guitarist of Badfinger, who's name escapes me at the moment. It is my understanding that he used it whenever they played, and they played/toured a lot in those years as far as I know.

20. henry_the_horse

henry_the_horse Member

He used the SG for Hey Bulldog/Lady Madonna session on 3rd February, 1968. He used the guitar again on 30 July, 1968 at Hey Jude sessions, in EMI Studio 2, although final version of Hey Jude was recorded at Trident Studios the following day, 31 July. This shows that he still had the guitar by mid White Album sessions period.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2JhPTgE-Y

The same footage in better quality is featured in the 1998 Lady Madonna video, mixed with footage of the Hey Bulldog/Lady Madonna February session. For recognizing the 30 July, 1968 session, check Harrison's black shirt with yellow stripes. The guitar is featured at 1:18 and 1:36 on this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vf26cRtG_w
    You can tell it's the SG and not Lucy because the former had always had Grover Rotomatic tuners while it was Harrison's property (probably John Sebastian installed these), whereas the SG had always had tulip Kluson tuners while being Harrison's, although these days it has also Rotomatics.
    But you are right, by summer 1969, Abbey Road sessions he had already given the guitar away, and replaced it with Lucy.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008