• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Beatles Remasters: Stereo vs. Mono

hawkeye17

Does anyone know if the upcoming Beatles remasters will be in stereo or the original mono? I've read some stuff with people saying the mono recordings are far superior to the stereo versions most of us are familiar with. Can anyone shed light on this topic?

84Bravo

The stuff that was originally done in mono will be released the same way. It does sound better. Elvis hated stereo.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I don't know how mono can out do stereo ..... some of the songs had some great stereo panning and that's what gave a lot of character to the songs.

Carlo

Platinum Supporting Member
The Beatles themselves took part in the mono mixes, stereo mixes were an afterthought that George Martin and engineers would tweak.
Mixes are noticeably different.....you have not heard Sgt Pepper until you hear the mono version. It has a totally different feel, She's Leaving Home even has a different tempo.

enocaster

The "regular" box set and the individual albums will be stereo. You'll have to buy a different box-set of all of the albums in Mono, which I'm guessing will be more expensive since it's aimed at collectors. The Mono versions won't be available individually.

"The Beatles in Mono will include the 10 albums originally mixed for mono release, as well as two additional discs the press release says features similar songs to those on the Past Masters compilations. The mono versions of Help! and Rubber Soul will boast bonuses: the albums’ original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD, per the press release. The mono collection, like the stereo one, will include all original inserts and label designs, and the CDs are designed as tiny vinyl replicas."

bluesmeanie

What album did they make the switch to stereo?
The only Beatles albums that were never mixed for mono are Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be. All previous albums had been mixed in both mono and stereo.

Many purists claim the mono mixes are superior and cite the Beatles' involvement as the main reason. Personally I don't think it's that easy a call. Some of the stuff sounds better in mono, but not all of it. To each his own.

Also, the stereo mixes were done quickly relative to the mono mixes; but this in itself doesn't automatically make the mono mixes better (nor does the band's involvement or lack of).

gennation

I was going to create a thread about this...glad I found this one :) This article is the first I've heard of this and since the Love album I was hoping they'd redo some of the Beatles albums in full, but it looks like they are going to do quite a bit of it...

Here's the goop:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/beatles-entire-original/apr-09/95307

Some are going to be stereo AND mono if I read this right.

I don't see The White Album listed. Must be because they couldn't preserve all the backwardz message on a digital CD format ;)

joeprs

I'm still debating if it's worth buying, as much as I like the Beatles, when I already have all of the CD's, vinyl and anthology. I know I will appreciate the sound quality, but is it worth the money?
I plan on burning the VHS to disc so they will be preserved. I bought the anthology before the discs were available and before I had a disc player.

enocaster

This is unconfirmed, but there will also be 180 gram vinyl reissues released on November 14 at $25 a pop. Not sure if they'll be mono or stereo. The late-90's Anthology-era vinyl reissues were stereo…

The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds was released with stereo and mono on the same CD. Aren't most Beatles albums short enough to fit twice on one CD?

Wiz-ski

Double Platinum Member
Has anybody seen a street price for the boxed sets yet? I see the individual remasters are up on amazon, beatles.com, etc, but still no boxed set.

SideBMusic

I still unclear about this. Will the stereo versions come in their own box set as well as individually? I already have all the albums in their original mono and stereo so I am thinking about just buying a stereo set.

Wiz-ski

Double Platinum Member
yes,

Stereo = Released individually AND in a boxed set with some quicktime documentaries on each record.

Mono = Released solely in a boxed set, and they claim "geared toward the collector"

bluesmeanie

This is the original press release:

THE BEATLES' ENTIRE ORIGINAL RECORDED CATALOGUE REMASTERED FOR RELEASE 09-09-09

7th April 2009

Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are delighted to announce the release of the original Beatles catalogue, which has been digitally re-mastered for the first time, for worldwide CD release on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 (9-9-09), the same date as the release of the widely anticipated "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game. Each of the CDs is packaged with replicated original UK album art, including expanded booklets containing original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited period, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album. On the same date, two new Beatles boxed CD collections will also be released.

The albums have been re-mastered by a dedicated team of engineers at EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London over a four year period utilising state of the art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment, carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings. The result of this painstaking process is the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release.

The collection comprises all 12 Beatles albums in stereo, with track listings and artwork as originally released in the UK, and 'Magical Mystery Tour,' which became part of The Beatles' core catalogue when the CDs were first released in 1987. In addition, the collections 'Past Masters Vol. I and II' are now combined as one title, for a total of 14 titles over 16 discs. This will mark the first time that the first four Beatles albums will be available in stereo in their entirety on compact disc. These 14 albums, along with a DVD collection of the documentaries, will also be available for purchase together in a stereo boxed set.

Within each CD's new packaging, booklets include detailed historical notes along with informative recording notes. With the exception of the 'Past Masters' set, newly produced mini-documentaries on the making of each album, directed by Bob Smeaton, are included as QuickTime files on each album. The documentaries contain archival footage, rare photographs and never-before-heard studio chat from The Beatles, offering a unique and very personal insight into the studio atmosphere.

A second boxed set has been created with the collector in mind. 'The Beatles in Mono' gathers together, in one place, all of the Beatles recordings that were mixed for a mono release. It will contain 10 of the albums with their original mono mixes, plus two further discs of mono masters (covering similar ground to the stereo tracks on 'Past Masters'). As an added bonus, the mono "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" discs also include the original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD. These albums will be packaged in mini-vinyl CD replicas of the original sleeves with all original inserts and label designs retained.

Discussions regarding the digital distribution of the catalogue will continue. There is no further information available at this time.

Trending Topics