• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Beatles Revolution Take 20!

ethandt

So I hadn't seen this discussed here yet. Did anyone get their hands on this leaked track last week? It seems that EMI jumped on this and all links to downloads have been taken down.

I did get to listen to it before it was taken down and it's really interesting to say the least. Anyway, I know there are some die-hard Beatles fans here with extensive knowledge on the subject so I was curious as to your thoughts on the recording. Some are speculating it may be a hoax but it sounds like the real deal.

Discuss!

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
Pretty cool...wonder how it got leaked and which take # was the final?

ethandt

Not sure... there's a little article about it on Rolling Stone. It's over 11 minutes long and get's very trippy, you really hear how John probably intended Revolution and revolution #9 to be one whole track. There's some great alternate backing vocals by Paul and George and a whole host of trippy overdubs.

SGNick

Woah... if that had been on the White Album, I would be a different person today.
It sort of is, Most of that track is what appears on the White Album, although the take 20 that is flying around has been slowed down from Bb to A, so it sounds rather different.

The take that was used was Take 15, with additional overdubs thrown overtop

SGNick

Sorry, I got the above facts wrong.

Take 20 is indeed the version that appears on the white album, not take 15.

The recording that is going around now would be the tape that John took home after the last day or recording Revolution 1, which is a rough mono mix of take 20, which is a reduction of take 19.

trickness

Analog with a side of DSP
this is very cool, but i think it's going to be revealed as a well done hoax. things like this just don't leak out - this is the Beatles we're talking about, not song rap remix.

SGNick

this is very cool, but i think it's going to be revealed as a well done hoax. things like this just don't leak out - this is the Beatles we're talking about, not song rap remix.
You'd be surprised how much of their stuff is out there, lost radio interviews mostly, but consider this.

A whole set of Vox amps, and multiple guitars were stolen from Abbey Road in their career. It's very possibly that tapes went out.

This particular mono take 20 is interesting because the session note indicates that 2 copies were made, one taken away by John, and another taken away by... It doesn't say.

I wouldn't be surprised if that would be how this got out. traded/traded/traded/re-traded/sold/sold/sold until finally someone said "Forget this, it's time to give it away!"

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
The leaked Revolution Take 20 is from this new bootleg,
"Revolution Take...Your Knickers Off".
No Helter Skelter, but a lot of new stuff, esp. Come and Get It.

trickness

Analog with a side of DSP
You'd be surprised how much of their stuff is out there, lost radio interviews mostly, but consider this.

A whole set of Vox amps, and multiple guitars were stolen from Abbey Road in their career. It's very possibly that tapes went out.

This particular mono take 20 is interesting because the session note indicates that 2 copies were made, one taken away by John, and another taken away by... It doesn't say.

I wouldn't be surprised if that would be how this got out. traded/traded/traded/re-traded/sold/sold/sold until finally someone said "Forget this, it's time to give it away!"
i have owned a ton of the Beatles bootlegs, going back to the Ultra Rare Trax days, so i'm not surprised at how much is out there, i'm just doubtful that this track isn't a remix that somebody did to help sell the bootleg below.

the part near the end where yoko starts talking about becoming naked - i've heard that somewhere else before. this sounds like a very good mash up, but hey, who knows?

ethandt

I did manage to get my hands on the bootleg.... the three takes of Julia are great. One with John just doing it with no vocals, getting the guitar down. Great stuff.

No Escaping Love, on the second disc, from what I have read is not the Beatles but The Iveys (Badfinger) early demos.

Still, some cool stuff.

One reason I think that it's not a hoax is the length at witch EMI is going to make sure all of this has being taken off the web.

SGNick

i have owned a ton of the Beatles bootlegs, going back to the Ultra Rare Trax days, so i'm not surprised at how much is out there, i'm just doubtful that this track isn't a remix that somebody did to help sell the bootleg below.

the part near the end where yoko starts talking about becoming naked - i've heard that somewhere else before. this sounds like a very good mash up, but hey, who knows?
The part at the end sounds familiar because it is documented that the last part of take 20 was used as the foundation for Revolution 9, and in Revolution 9, you hear Yoko saying that stuff.

And don't forget that after John's death, Yoko had an assistant that robbed the house of all kinds of stuff- including tapes.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,353709,00.html

Trending Topics