Because gas is soooo cheap at the moment...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jaycee, Jan 26, 2015.

1. jaycee

jaycee Member

...has the price of shipping gone down? How about plane tickets? Food? Any goods or services?

Since the high cost of fuel has been blamed for the surge in prices of these things, or at least listed as a factor in the surge, has ANYTHING that depends on fuel costs seen a price drop?

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

when fuel shot way up, FedEx instituted a "fuel surcharge"......it's right there on the receipt.

And it's STILL there.

Kinda sucks

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

There was a report this morning on major airline price drops.

If the drop is sustained I would expect we will see decreases in food prices, often the price we are paying today is the result of contracts and agreements made a while ago.

4. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

I can understand why airlines would be delayed in reflecting any change in their pricing structure since they buy their fuel in a "futures" type deal to try to avoid large upswings on the price. If the lower fuel prices continue long term though, we may see something.

Or peanuts will go up to $10/bag. :D

5. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

Now that fuel prices are low, some of our elected officials are talking about tax increases. Oh my!

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Yeah, it only works in one direction .... for the benefit of the shipper .... and of course we get no other benefit than at the pump. :waiting

7. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Got gas yesterday for 187.9. SCREW elected officials!! Let us have a break for a change.

8. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

No, but people are losing jobs around here and the fear of losing your job is growing. But most people like to go "Yay, I saved $10 filling up my car today!"

9. hellbender

hellbender Member

Cars aren't generating enough revenue from the gas tax anymore. Gas consumption is down 6% or the last 10 years. Big problem.

10. mattball826

mattball826 Member

there are so more many truck/suv commercials now

our tax is based on consumption, not pump price.

food etc and retail went up due to pump prices, and that happened like a flick of a switch. those prices have not gone down.

11. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

As long as the Federal Reserve keeps imposing inflation through central price controls, as they have for over 100 years, nothing significant is going to drop in price. Before the Fed (1780-1913), inflation was flat. After the Fed, up some 2400%. This hurts the poor more than anyone. It has been said inflation is the most regressive tax of them all and that is a byproduct of the Fed.

As both parties have always supported the Fed, I want to state clearly this is not a political opinion, but an economic fact. Just trying to stay within the rules here!

12. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Wasn't the baggage fee surcharge a product of the sudden increase in fuel costs? :huh

13. hellbender

hellbender Member

If that were true, why are we on the brink of deflation?

14. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

$187.90 seems like a pretty steep price to me. I'm getting it for less than 2 bucks...

15. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

During an economic downturn, we should expect actual deflation of products and services that are in lesser demand. But even during the longest recession in our history, prices still rise. That's a problem for the poor. That's a problem for young people hoping to buy a first home, car, etc.

What exactly do you think is untrue?

16. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

A few of the airlines locked in long term pricing on fuel and are now taking it in the shorts as a result. I wonder if the trucking and shipping companies did the same. Few saw this coming, but it will go back up. In the meantime, that's margin and profit they weren't counting on. I doubt they will give it back.

17. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I used to joke that if gas ever got below $2.00 a gallon again, after filling up my car I would pull the nozzle out and spray gas around just for the hell of it.

I haven't kept good on that joke.