1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Because of TGP, I changed PUPs myself

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Crask422, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Crask422

Crask422 Guest

When I started playing, only about a year now, I assumed electric guitars were quite complicated inside. Reading this board and seeing all of the changes people make I thought I would give it a try.

My light ash Strat came with Seymour Duncan singles. Standing at the counter of a local shop I saw a bridge position Hot Rail by SD. I thought it would be a nice first project. A trip to radio shack for a proper soldering setup and I was off to the races. An hour later, most of the time was taking off strings and replacing them, I was done.

I plugged her in expecting that I had screwed something up and all was well. I know it's not a true Humbucker sound becuase of the size and distance apart of the rails, but I enjoy the sound of it.

One question, the 0.22 caps, do they hold enough voltage to hurt you? I din't think about it until I was done, nor did I need to touch it, but isn't that the purpose of the cap, to hold onto voltage?

Thanks for all the reading and giving me the courage to dig into this myself.

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

There is no current in a guitar like there is an amp. I am completely a virgin at this myself (and I have played for 40 years!!!), and have a tele pup for my Strat Bridge pup that I will be installing, plus I am going to change all of them so the tone control works on the bridge pup. AND, I have RS kits on the way for both my Tele and LP, so I should be getting my feet wet pretty soon myself.

Oh, and congratulations on diving in and just doing it! I wish I'd have done so years ago, but there was no internet to guide me like today.

3. Crask422

Crask422 Guest

Good point on no voltage, I didn't think about that. I have just heard stories of people getting fried on caps of various sizes.

I would like to get creative now and get some different pickup combinations through the wiring and maybe try a set of the "stellartone" or a push-pull knob. You are right I wouldn't have done it without the internet. Like someone on here said, 99% of the stuff is fixable if you screw it up. So what the heck.

4. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Good for you! I know I would never try the stuff I do if it weren't for the internet. I had friends who did even back in the dark ages before 1994. I have no idea where they got the info/courage.

Martin

5. burning blue

burning blue Member

+1 :AOK

6. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

You can't get much of a shock from that little 0.22 cap since it never stores much charge. It's the big electrolytic caps in tube amps that deal out dangerous zaps. Those electrolytics in the power supply have high voltages on them and can hold charge very well even when the amp is off. The one the guitar is a little passive filter to bleed off high frequencies in your signal. No big deal.

7. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

Way to go! I love to tinker with my guitars.

8. Crask422

Crask422 Guest

Thanks for the info, I probably should have checked before diving in. It sure sounds great.