• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Beck, Bogert, & Appice - Superstition

Suave Eddie

I was lucky to have seen Beck in this short lived band.
It was in Southern California. I can't remember the venue but it could have been this one.
Although in my memory we were standing in front of the stage and I seem to remember Santa Monica Civic as all seats.

BabaPaul

I also saw Beck, Bogart, and Appice in So. Cal. the same night. May 3rd, 1973 at the Hollywood Palladium, which does not have seats. Beck must like the Palladium as I saw him 1 year earlier, August 13th, 1972, there with the Jeff Beck Group. I was 16 years old in 1972 and I still remember how amazing Jeff was - and still is.

mojojones

I saw them at the Providence Civic Center in March or April of 1973. Beck even sang a number, "Black Cat Bone" I believe. A good heavy rock band but it was kind of dated sound already at that time and Jeff changed direction soon after that tour. He said he had wanted to work with the Vanilla Fudge rhythm section for a long time since '67 or '68 before finally having the opportunity in '73. I remember them as being bone crunchingly loud. For the true definition of bone crunchingly loud see Bogert and Appice's previous band Cactus!

GulfportBound

I saw them at the Providence Civic Center in March or April of 1973. Beck even sang a number, "Black Cat Bone" I believe. A good heavy rock band but it was kind of dated sound already at that time and Jeff changed direction soon after that tour. He said he had wanted to work with the Vanilla Fudge rhythm section for a long time since '67 or '68 before finally having the opportunity in '73. I remember them as being bone crunchingly loud. For the true definition of bone crunchingly loud see Bogert and Appice's previous band Cactus!
I've read where the original plan was for those three plus Rod Stewart to hook up, with Bogert and Appice suggesting Cactus as a name for the new group---until Stewart went with the (Small) Faces instead (with his old Beck Group bandmate Ron Wood), Beck had his near-fatal road accident, and Bogert and Appice made off restlessly to form a very different Cactus before they reunited with Beck at last.

Beck supposedly got the bug to play with Bogert and Appice after hearing Vanilla Fudge's "Shotgun" (on Near the Beginning) and loving how they worked together, and someone tipped Bogert and Appice along the line of, "Jeff would give his left arm to play with you two guys." Maybe they should have stayed with the original plan, because nobody in Beck, Bogert & Appice could really sing credibly.

dazar

I don't understand why BBA were slagged as much as they were. I thought the studio album was pretty good and the live Tokyo album is great--the oxblood LP in all its live tone glory!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
a bit of trivia i didn't know until recently, apparently stevie wonder wrote "superstition" specifically for jeff beck to record, but (perhaps under pressure from his record company smelling a hit) released it himself instead

71strat

Cool! Are those Univox amps on the backline?

A band I played in, in 1975 played this version of Superstition.
Those are Univox speaker cabinets, and hes using 2x Sunn 300w Coliseum Lead heads, which is solid state. Eric use one with Derek and the Dominoes Live, along with Sunn cabinets loaded with JBL D120s.
Also if you stop the video at 5 seconds in, you can see what appears to be a small Fender amp on the floor.Bogart is also using Sunn for Bass.
1642207613900.png

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
The sad thing about Jeff is that no one plays a Les Paul like he does. It would be nice if he still messed with one live. And, he is, messing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom