Beck/Clapton tour...who opens for who?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jaimoe, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Jaimoe

Jaimoe Member

2. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

Beck will open the show. Since Clapton has a great singing voice he's the headliner.

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

If i was Clapton i would insist on opening. The correct answer is that they would alternate.

4. small axe

small axe Member

beck opens and clapton closes....as goes the fame

5. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

I love both these guys music but anyone thinking that Jeff Beck is a bigger draw than Eric Clapton is just not living in the real world. Beck will open Clapton will close and Beck will probably join Claptons band to finish off.

6. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

If Jeff Beck opens ,Clapton gets his ass served to him !

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

In your opinion and that of many here but the general public will always fill the seats for Eric before buying a ticket for Jeff. I love JB too but that, IMO, is how it is.

8. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

Sounds like it should be a great show either way. I will say I've seen both a few times including recent shows and was a little bummed out at the last clapton tour. My thinking is touring with jeff will inspire EC to dig a little deeper into his catalog of tunes and unleash his true fury. The last Jeff beck show I went to was amazing.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

:agree

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

As much as I love JB, I don't think that he can routinely fill stadiums alone. Nowhere near the name recognition as EC either.

The market for instrumental guitar music is pretty slim .... as much as we might love it.

11. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

My point isn't that JB is a bigger draw for the general public than EC, but that EC wouldn't want to follow JB.
    Years ago, I went to see Rory Gallagher touring with some guy called Jeff Beck(i knew who he was, but wasn't a big fan at the time). Rory went on first, and was great, BUT, JB blew him out of the water in tone, chops, and presentation.

12. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

who cares! including them.

13. barryg_nyc

barryg_nyc Member

At the RnR HoF concert, it was originally supposed to be Eric Clapton with "special guest" Jeff Beck. I'm guessing I was in the minority in not being unhappy to learn that Clapton's surgery would cause him to miss the show, leaving Jeff Beck group to take the full slot (not that I don't like EC but I would much rather hear more of Beck than Clapton).

No question that Clapton will headline. I prefer Beck, but clearly in terms of worldwide recognition, Clapton is the much bigger name (no one ever wrote Jeff Beck is God on the wall).

But, the show is being billed as Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton, together and apart. So, I assume that Beck will open, Clapton will come on next and the two will play the last set together. I guess it's also possible that each will come out for select songs during the others' set. Otherwise, the bigger issue would be whose band would be on during the final set.
    Any ideas who will be in EC's band? Will it be Doyle Bramhall? How about Steve Gadd?
    I thought Beck's band was amazing at the RnR HoF show; nothing against Willie Weeks, but would prefer to see more of Tal Wilkenfeld this February at the Garden.

14. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I'm going to see Clapton in March, with Roger Daltry opening. Nothing against Daltry, cause it'll be really cool to see him, but I'd rather see Beck playing with Clapton. Ought to be a great show no matter!

15. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Exactly.

16. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I also agree here with the others.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

We all know and Love Beck.......but outside of the guitar community he is an unknown. Mention Beck and the Kids will say........oh doesn't he sing that tune , I'm a loser baby...........:rolleyes: Clapton headlines becuase HE sells out Arenas . Beck sells out Ronnie Scotts. Its that simple. :dunno

18. Jaimoe

Jaimoe Member

Best post yet.

As long time friends, I bet it's just good fun for both.

At their age, they have both done great work, are legends, and have nothing left to prove.

But the bottom line is "all about the song" and Clapton sure knows how to write a catalog of great ones.

Like the rest of you, I've seen those on-stage duels where Clapton looks lost compared to Beck, but as this original post says neither probably cares. Clapton has stated numerous times that Beck is the master.

We should all be this lucky and have their problems. :aok

19. shane88

shane88 Member

apparently JB said @ the end of a set opening for rod stewart > well that concludes the musical part of the evening

20. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

GO SLAYER!!!!!

...wrong thread