Bedroom Amp for a Kid Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ElRay, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ElRay

ElRay Member

Looking at getting my daughter a small combo amp so she can practice "anytime" in her bedroom. It doesn't have to be new (although I'd prefer something NIB), it just has to sound "good" at lower volumes, be pretty sturdy, and have a headphone jack. I'd like to keep it around $50 - $60 (less expensive is OK too), but could go up to about $80, if there's a "big bang for your buck" item in that range.

So far, I've seen (all used) Spider IV 15W, Peavy Audition/Backstage & Pignose PG-10/Hog 20/Hog 30 that seem to fit the bill. I've also seen a ton of various Crate models, but I have no idea what's good. Finally, for some reason, the Danelectro Hodads seem appealing.

The Spiders seem nice, because she'll have a few effects, that I think will be decent enough, and the Hog's have a big appeal because they contain rechargeable batteries that will charge even while playing plugged in.

I know she'll be happy with pretty much anything, but I guess I'm looking for something that I wouldn't mind borrowing as a "standard"

Ray

EDIT: What about Peavy Vypyrs and Vox AD15VTs?

2. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

I like those vyprs but I don't know if you get them that cheap. I has a line 6 spider and found it to be a great practice amp. Best bang for the buck IMO

3. modestcargo

modestcargo Member

The only amp I liked in that price range was a little solid state kustom. Both clean and dirt was surprisingly good. Almost bought one but in the end decided I didn't need another practice amp.

4. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

6. skunx

skunx Member

Try to get a vypyr off musicians friend with a discount code. Cool little amps.

7. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

vypyr is a great choice, so is the line 6

try both and decide wich one you liek best

8. Wedge

Wedge Supporting Member

I would suggest a used Roland Microcube......sounds really good for the money and the portability might be a bonus for a kid.

9. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

Roland Microcube! I was drawing a blank over what to recommend but I'd go with this for sure.

10. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

i'm going to suggest a totally different approach ...

depending on age , enthusiasm , attention span etc. i suggest getting a used pod or boss multi-pedal .
    both work with headphones and have lots of experimenting options to keep a kid amused .
    and can also be used anywhere and are less of a temporary thing .

a new micro-pod is around 120 i think , but ive seen them used for 40 .
    the boss thing i'm not sure about .
    mines a blue thing with a wah/volume pedal on the right and a little screen top left .
    if i remember right : its been a while since ive seen it .

"play time" increased dramatically with a 7 year old that had just about mastered smoke on the water played with his thumb when i put the boss and headphones in front of him !!!!
    be prepared to have to continually put the headphones on to listen to the funny noise they've "invented" though :)

i know that sort of thing gets a bit of a bashing on here , but i have both the boss multipedal and a rack pod .
    both are great for experimenting with different sounds and playing through headphones etc.

both sound better than the cheap practice amp that came with his guitar from gc , fender or marshal mg iirc , and both are much less noisey !!!

the only downside i can think of is no "listener" sound , so unless you have a mixer/pa or headphones amp some other way of using the out-puts its solo playing silent only .
    and if youre teaching your daughter it could prove challenging .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  11. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

This is a bit over the price range you indicated, but I got a Vox Mini 3 for my kids to use, and it's a very nice little amp. Small, can run on batteries if needed, not too loud, good sounds. Great for a child. They're about $100 new.

12. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Hey Ray, I sent you a private message. See it. :)

13. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Roland Micro-cube and Vox Pathfinder are both great small practice amps. The Pathfinder sounds warm, has great clean tone, and nice tremolo. It's more "vintage sounding". It has an overdrive, but that doesn't sound good. Used as a single channel clean amp, it awesome and a great value. The Micro-cube will cost more, but has really good digital effects, along with pretty good clean and distorted amp models. It has a wide range of really good sounds, and also can be used in battery-powered mode, which can be useful at times. For more "modern tones", the Micro-cube works very well. I have had both for years, and have been very impressed.

14. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I've had both also, and love them. I blew the amp out of one Pathfinder because I caused a 'short' in the speaker cable, so I took the amp section out of my Microcube and put it in the Pathfinder case, since I love that Pathfinder speaker. I played both amps out at a cafe where I play and it was like stereo. Beautiful!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I've had both also, and love them. I blew the amp out of one Pathfinder because I caused a 'short' in the speaker cable, so I took the amp section out of my Microcube and put it in the Pathfinder case, since I love that Pathfinder speaker. I played both amps out at a cafe where I play and it was like stereo. Beautiful!!! I now replaced the Microcube back in its original cabinet to sell it, but it was a great experiment. I have a Jensen 6" speaker in the Microcube instead of the original 4" speaker. It sound MUCH better, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. drewdraw

drewdraw Supporting Member

17. ElRay

ElRay Member

Anybody here have experience with the Fender Mustang series? On another board, a lot of folks recommended them. The nice thing is that it has a USB connection, so I can set-up a bunch of different sounds, and if she messes them up, I can just restore them from a back-up.

Ray

18. rouss

rouss Member

I have a vox pathfinder and a vyper. help your daughter learn to play guitar not play with the amplifier. Go with the pathfinder its simple and she could have it for years. they sound nice also, you could really enjoy her playing . Vyper has all bell in wisles for effex and heavey metal stuff(It could drive you crazy).

19. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

20. b3john

b3john Member

I bought one (a II) for me for late night headphone practice and another (I) for my son to practice with.

ElRay, you can also use that same USB connector to record into a Mac or PC.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012