bedroom amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gdwill2u, Feb 2, 2008.

1. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I play mostly rock and blues, but want a lot of gain for messing around

Here is what I need

<than 25 watts
    >than 7 watts
    master volume
    reverb
    loop
    12" speaker (or two)
    combo
    also interested in an amp that has a great clean sound if the amp takes pedals well

price not an issue

2. onemind

onemind Member

Goodsell Super Seventeen MKII
    >7 through me, it's really very loud for a bedroom. As such consider a Carr Mercury 8 watts all the way down to 1/10

3. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I've been interested in the Carr merc for months, I would buy it immediately if it had a loop--it is still high on my list

I will look into the Goodsell, thx

4. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

I use a 100 watt Splawn Marshall, with an Alesis Nanoverb in the FX loop, turned down. Perfect bedroom level, with delay/reverb! I should make some video of it to demonstrate the tone.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Member

Bedroom amps???? try 5 watts or less. 12 watts, you can practice with a band if the drummer behaves, I owned the Carr Mercury and the 8 watt setting is dam loud; you could practice with a band. ANd it will make you Dad, Mom or Wife scream at you to turn it down.

6. btmish

btmish Member

7. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

orange rockerverb 50.... more watts than you´d like but has an awesome master volume.
    sounds great at all volume levels from clean to mean. 2 channels, tube driven spring reverb, tube driven effects loop and available as head or combo.
    looks cool, too imho...
    downsides... price and maybe weight.

btw, i just bought a used head of this thing. :BEER

8. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Hard to find all those options in one amp. Personally I use a Suhr Badger with a Reverb pedal.

9. Sherman

Sherman Member

You might try looking into a Seymour Duncan Convertible. It meets all of your criterion except for the wattage. That being said I don't think that would really be problem because the Convertible has a variable wattage control (from 5 to 100 watts). I recently picked up a really clean combo w/footswitch, heavy duty vinyl cover and an extra 1x12 cab for roughly $500.00. The early versions of the amp got a bad rap (deservedly so) but SD addressed the most of the issues in the middle of the amp's production run (about 1986). The clean channel sounds great and the dirty channel makes me think of a Boogie (but not as muddy). The amp requires a little more maintainance because it is pretty complex but if you take care of it should last a long time. I'm really digging my SD Convertible. BTW, I own a Carr Mercury as well that I love dearly.

10. wilerty

wilerty Member

Rivera Clubster 25 - available as 1X10 and 1X12 - 6V6
    Mesa Express 5:25 - available as 1X10 or 1X12 - EL84

Or ... you can do what I do ... use a Mesa Lonestar Classic head and 2X12 cabinet and play it in the 10 watt mode.

11. wilerty

wilerty Member

I agree with your statement if you are playing with gain. However, if you are primarily a clean player, I think you need at least ten watts to give you a tight punchy bass.

12. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I am set on a Star Nova at the moment...picking it up this week in fact from Make 'n Music. I think the Astroverb is also an awesome little amp that sounds great at low volume (and absolutely ROCKS w/ a 2x12 closed back cab. V30's). Does anyone else have any experience/thoughts on the Star Nova? I spent about 10 minutes with one and had to have it. I play a lot late at night when my kids are in bed.

13. justonwo

justonwo Member

Yep. You beat me to it. I was going to suggest a Reeves Custom 30, which is what I juts ordered. It has power scaling, but no loop and is just a hair over your power requirements (though with the power scaling that isn't so important).

14. andylikesapples

andylikesapples Member

+1 on the Goodsell Super Seventeen. I have a friend who has one and it seriously kicks amps over twice it's size...

15. LaXu

LaXu Member

Forget the wattage requirements. Get something that has a good master volume and it'll work well at home. I use a 50 watt Diezel 1x12 combo at home and love the sounds I'm getting from it. Before that I had a 15W Powerscaled Stephenson amp and that was good for blues but not voiced for hard rock which is what I mostly play.

16. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special 1-12" combo: 5-30-odd watts.
    Great reverb, buffered FX loop, oodles of tweaks, fan cooled, wheels, 5-year warranty, great clean (EL84) tones, pedal-friendly, wide dealer & repair network. Go to Harmony Central for reviews, also has won GP and other mag editor's pick awards. Must be something about it...

17. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

4 to 5W is plenty to get good punchy bass in a clean tone with the right speaker situation.

18. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I am not so concerned with volume as the term "bedroom amp" implies (maybe "basement amp" is a better description.. I do want to get into driving the tubes when using distortion and playing the blues, so I want the amp loud but reasonable.

I own a DRRI and for volume it is fine. My Mesa F-50 is fine on the clean channel but to break it up or to play dirt, I have to play it too loud.

19. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

After embarking on the same quest and trying quite a few, I've totally bonded with my Matchless Spitfire (small box version). Great MV, allows for as clean or dirty as you need at all volumes. No reverb, so I keep a Digiverb at hand (cheap and effective). Not necessarily an inexpensive amp though, but that Matchless quality and sound is well worth it IMO.

20. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Fargen Mini Plex Mk2. Get a custom one in a 2x12 combo format with the added loop. No reverb, but you could use a pedal.

Takes any kind of tubes and can be power scaled down to whisper levels. It can also be loud as hell when wide open.

Great cleans, takes pedals really well, and gives you three decades of Marshall-y distortion.