Bedroom amp

bcgibson

Hey everyone. Am new to this site/forum and I would like inputs from all you seasoned players on which amp I could get for my at home playing. I would like a tube amp for sure, which won't take out windows when the volume is up enough to get the best tube sound. I have been reading the master volume/non master volume debates, but am still confused. I guess with a MV I could go up in size (50W?) but with a NMV it would have to smaller I guess? Looking for all inputs, and thanks in advance for your helping me out in this. Dale

Dana-L

Silver Supporting Member
Hey everyone. Am new to this site/forum and I would like inputs from all you seasoned players on which amp I could get for my at home playing. I would like a tube amp for sure, which won't take out windows when the volume is up enough to get the best tube sound. I have been reading the master volume/non master volume debates, but am still confused. I guess with a MV I could go up in size (50W?) but with a NMV it would have to smaller I guess? Looking for all inputs, and thanks in advance for your helping me out in this. Dale
Hi Dale,

For home playing, I'd suggest a small, single-ended amp of the Fender Champ-inspired variety. One power tube and one preamp tube are really all you need. Sweet clean sounds at low volume; crank a good one through a decent speaker setup and it's plenty loud for residential applications.

Get a few vintage tubes and a good extension cabinet and there are lots of good sounds to be made.

Some current production models to check out:

Fender Champion 600
Jet City Picovalve
Marshall Class 5
VHT Special 6

And many more...

-Dana

tnt365

Not Enough information about your tastes and what not

Check out these brands:

Bumbox
Matamps
Egnater
Fender champ (vintage or new)

Big iron sounds better, so maybe you want NMV with an attenuator?

adkteleman

I have a Fender Champion 600 and really love that amp. I use it as my primary recording amp and also as the amp I play at home. It is great because it is small, inexpensive and take pedals well. Some folks do not care for the speaker but I found that with mine once I let the speaker break in it really sounds great now. I also likr the throw back styling...really nice looking. Hope that this helps!

pbmw

I like that chimey Fender tone.
I have a SFPR that delivers it at reasonable levels.
I've liked the 18 watt Marshall clones too but they can get loud.
Tiny Terror
Lil Night train
Champ
Tweed
There are lots of choices depending on your tastes.
Do you use pedals? Or just into the amp?
I have a JTM45 and I guess I could put a power plate on it. But that kind of defeats the purpose. So to speak...

oldschoolguy

This is a great era for amps as there are a plethora of amp builders offering a fantastic array of amplifiers with every option imaginable. Not so not so long ago. You want it, it's probably made somewhere. Problem is to find it. It's not a "problem" as actually, the hunt is fun. Start here maybe: jetstar.com/low_watt_amps. Two pages of lower watt amps here. I'd say to consider the Kingley Keep or the Genz Benz Black Pearl. I have both of these and you can't go wrong really with either if they're more or less what you are looking for with options.

binge

Cornell Romany or Plexi 7 would be ideal. They are both switchable down to 1/4 watt, which will still be very loud when cranked at home in my experience.

mspizziri

I tried a Blues Jr, Pro Jr, SCXD, Vox AC4TV and a Marshall Class 5 and ended up liking the Blackheart Little Giant the best

The 12 inch speaker just makes it sound so much fuller and it takes pedals really well

kirkham13

Ac4tv mini. Amazing. Low volumes, high volumes, breakup etc. Its my first tube amp and I dig it. There are good reviews for most of these amps on Amazon-though non professional.

bcgibson

Hey great selection of replies, and quick too. Thanks for all of them, and thanks for the welcome. I only wish I had found this site long ago... Thx again. Dale

oldschoolguy

Dale, the thing is that you are in for a ride now. No kidding. When I first came here I was playing thru a Cybertwin. Loved it (still do). Of course, quickly I discovered that I needed a tube amp. I now own 12. Oh, and 13 guitars. And I am a so-so player who only plays for my own amusement. Fortunately, the wife doesn't mind. She sees it as my hobby (which it is).
Just watch...it'll change your perspective completely.

Trending Topics