Bedroom Amps - The Definitive List

Blindspot

Please contribute your suggestions for bedroom amps; comments, reviews, sound clips, and so forth. As the thread develops, I will edit this first post with the list of amps that show up, until we have a relatively comprehensive list.

I'm open to various definitions of a bedroom amp, but I think the following criteria should apply:

Great tone options at true bedroom volume - the wife, husband, dog, whatever in the next room will not be bothered while you play.

Reasonable weight and portability (one handed grab and go, or a manageable head and small cab.)

Higher volume levels not required, but OK. A tiny amp that sounds great at low volume and can't get much louder is fine. A 50w beast that you can struggle to tame and get down to non-ear-piercing volume, or that requires a separate attenuator, air brake, or some other gadget that is not integral to the amp is out!

OK, I know the Suhr Badger and Carr Mercury will be high on people's lists. There is a thread going specifically about those two amps, but feel free to discuss them here as well. And of course, what else have we?

Deaj

Fuchs ODS 1x12 combo - any output rating. The master volume works wonderfully well even down to 'it's-2:am-family-is-asleep-just-down-the-hall' levels. Certainly not a purpose-built bedroom amp but the ODS performs as brilliantly in this role as it does as a performance and/or recording amp.

bosstone

Ampeg VL 502, 50 watt amp with the speakers of your choice. It has an amazingly effective attenuator built into it that works off tube bias rather than a resistive load. I like it better that the MASS and the Hot Plate. You can use this amp for just about any kind of music. It has great cleans and everything up through hotrodded Marshall tones. All this for usually less than $500.00. You may not want to lug it into your bedroom though. Or you could spend over $2K and get a Carr Mercury.

pigeon_stool

and how about posting links to sound clips you feel best represent the true capabilities of the amps?

and start with London Power Studio please. i'd really like to know what one of these sounds like.

Nolatone Ampworks

Platinum Supporting Member
Depeneds on who you're sleeping with:

Pamela Anderson or Courtney Love, then you're talkin' JCM900 Stack. Be sure they throw in some penicillin though!

Otherwise, there are a bunch! Tech21 Trademark 10 is a good choice. Any of the modelers for whisper volumes.

Most "real" amps want to be turned up a bit to do their best trick.

Paul

grego7

has left the building
Platinum Supporting Member
5 watt champ / clone with pedals if you need more than tweedy crunch, otherwise fine by itself.

zinky 25 watt blue velvet, no pedals needed.

jmadill

Gold Supporting Member
Fuchs ODS 1x12 combo - any output rating. The master volume works wonderfully well even down to 'it's-2:am-family-is-asleep-just-down-the-hall' levels. Certainly not a purpose-built bedroom amp but the ODS performs as brilliantly in this role as it does as a performance and/or recording amp.
I have a Fuchs ODS 30 1x12 combo and a Carr Mercury. Although I love the Fuchs for a rehearsal or performance amp, the Mercury is a killer "practice" amp. With the Fuchs, I just can't dial in that great tube sound with the Master Volume. If only Andy had an attenuator ...

The Mercury is just plain awesome. I have never had as much fun playing with just an amp, cord and guitar that I'm having with the Mercury. Not enough output for a band rehearsal or performance without mic'ing it thru a PA, but very inspiring for recording and practicing.

The biggest downside to the Mercury is the absence of any foot switch. It's not really convenient to change settings for solos, etc. It is pretty much a set it and go amp. Only changes are pickup selection, volume and tone on the guitar ... not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) In fact, those are good skills to acquire. Of course, a good boost pedal might do the trick, but to be honest, I've gotten such great sounds from it, I haven't even hooked up my pedal board yet.

Whether the Mercury would work for you is something you'll have to decide. All I can suggest is to try one, and see for yourself.

-jm

sotto

A Zoom G2 effects processor into a Pignose: check it out. Both battery powered (AA's), rugged, small, and very very flexible. Get one of the tweed Pignose's. They are very cool.

bilbal

Epiphone Valve Junior 1x8 combo and a Zoom multi-effect processor. It's what I have been using while I watch television and it smokes in every way.

bilbal

ZVex Nano Amp plus a cab of your choice. I have Kens Cabs making me a 1-8, 10x10x6 inches, Weber Alnico 8" inside, so I can carry them both in my suitcase for some workshops I'll be attending this summer. Should be a blast.

If you can find one, the Lovepedal Classic 1/2 watt amp sounds like it'd be a trip too - again, cab not included.

mcgriff420

Rockytop 10watt classA

-sounds like: JCM800 at 10 watts or less

I have a nice 4104 JCM to compare it too.. the rocky is the real deal.

Grap

Tech21 Trademark 10

Roland Micro Cube

Both great amps for use at "sleeping baby/pissy neighbour" volumes.

Trending Topics