Bedroom Amps w/ Power Scaling &/or Superb Master Volume Control

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Housered, May 3, 2008.

1. Housered

Housered Member

I am starting to come around. After reading countless HC reviews of low watt amps it has become clear that the same complaint persists throughout:

You have to play this thing really loud to get good distortion.

The problem is, wattage is on a logarithmic scale. So, those 5 watt perspective solutions to the "not bothering the neighbors" problem are half as loud as their 50 watt big brothers and not 1/10 as loud as intuition dictates.

And power attenuators don't seem to solve the noise problem either. Sure, they bring the volume down the resulting tone is less than inspiring to my ears.

So, I am not thinking about watts anymore. I am wondering about amps with Power Scaling features and Superb Master Volume control.

Cost is not a factor but space is an issue. I am not rich but I have but one hobby. I want to own one amp. One very dynamic, high quality amp that I can use without tone compromise and without bothering my apartment building neighbors.

Lets talk about amps with Power Scaling features &/or Superb Master Volume Control.

Thanks!

2. billybogner

billybogner Member

Here is a 100w amp on 10, into a loadbox, the line out of the amp into a power amp, and turned up barely enough to hear it. In fact, if you heard the guitar track solo'd, you would hear the pick hitting the strings.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6477734&q=hi

I agree, most attenuators mess with the tone too much, but running it like this (my loadbox is an attenuator) seems to make up for it. You wouldn't need to worry about wattage at all. The external power amp controls the overall volume.

3. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

Sure, but not one clip anywhere on the web, and I'm afraid that they could have the "small amp sound" syndrome...

5. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

sounds spectacular.
    so give up the goods - what's the rig?

i've tried my 2204 through the line out out my HotPlate into our budget Yamaha PA and it sounds like total a$$. i guess i need a good power amp, huh? maybe the effects return of my Shiva would work better.

7. amp boy

amp boy Member

8. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

I love my new Stephenson 30 watt combo with Power Scaling. Great sound from bedroom levels up to ear splittingly loud volumes.

I've owned a few power scaled amps over the years, and this is the best of the lot.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

amp>load>reamp
    A lot of hardware to do what a pedal might do for you.
    A neutral OD/distortion pedal +EQ can generate a lot of tonal variation.

10. madscientist

madscientist Member

Ben's Mighty Plex is REALLY tempting. 30 Watts, power scaling, 3 types of Marshall tones. Yeah, just, yeah.

11. Housered

Housered Member

What are the thoughts on the Gries 5?

12. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

I would like to know the rig as well.

I'd also like to know some of the factors that contribute to getting a good slaved tone. Whether it's the amp chosen or other factors?

Some setups sound fantastic like this and other's, as you found out, not so good. EVH got a pretty good tone doing it :)

13. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Yes, another very tempting little tone machine. I really like the idea of not having much in the tone path, but I'd want to hear it with my guitar(s) and cab(s) before I'd know I could do without any tone controls. IMHO

Of course, pedals could take care of that too.

14. Housered

Housered Member

No pedals for me. I want simplicity. Just pick the amp up and move it to another room.

15. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

16. Housered

Housered Member

Bumbox is on the short list but the sound clip on their site is...a...yuck.

But, maybe I can coax what I want out of it.

17. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

That's exctly why I finaly settled on the Carr Mercury. I wanted an amp that I could run straight into and get everything from clean to gritty to downright dirty with a single amp and at any volume I needed at home. Having a good reverb was a great feature too.

I think you're on the right track with the mini-Mercury to grab-and-go, but unfortunately it is new and even if you can find a used one, it will probably hold a high price for quite a while. The regular ones are frequently available around $1500 lately, and with the 12" speaker you won't be limited to the small box sound.

Best of luck with your quest.

18. Housered

Housered Member

I could pull $1,500 shipped but I would have to sell something that I like quite a lot. I have got to make sure that there isn't a cheaper alternative that will meet my needs.

I like the idea behind the Microbaby but it looks to be a bit on the fragile side for me.

19. Matt F

Matt F Member

I had a Microbaby. It's a great fun amp. Built very well. And, if you wanted you could build a small "headshell" around it for protection.

I still have one made out of teak and bolts. I'll post a pic for you. Tube swaping was fun too. Sold it in part for the fear of becoming a tube addict :worried.

[​IMG]

I don't have a pic of the housing on the amp. But I'll get a pic of the "shell" for you so you can see how easy it can be done :)

20. Housered

Housered Member

I could go with that amp in a more traditional enclosure. Who might make me one cheaply? I love the simplicity. The antique furniture look, not so much. Too fragile looking.