Bedroom Jamming / Recording Amp / Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steveatmojotone, Jul 1, 2008.

1. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Hey guys,
    I've reached a bit of a brick wall at the moment on my search for good tone at low levels. Here's the story in a nutshell. I deal with vintage gear pretty much on a daily basis, so I know back then volume was a big issue due to PA not really being up to par that they are now. Thus some of the greats got their tone by cranking their amps to "11". I am into modern rock, not the screamo junk thats out there, but the good driving guitars that makes you want to crank the radio up and run 90 mph around 285 here in atlanta. (Granted thats only about 5 mph faster than the average driver, but thats another story).

Here are my favorite amp tones (no scooped out mids):
    JCM800 Dimed
    Splawn Nitro
    Bogner Uberschall
    Plexi w/ everything at 10

Here in lies the problem. Being that my current band is pretty much in hiatus at the moment, I have a lot of time on my hands at night once my wife and 3 yr old go to bed. Now I cant very well go crank up one of these amps and get the tone that I want without waking them and the neighborhood. I've tried the modeling route:

GT6 - Good board but you spend WAY too much time trying to create a good tone
    POD2 - Too Digital
    PODX3 - Played with it briefly at GC, wasnt impressed
    Vox Tonelab LE - Good amp models, but was just missing something when it came to higher gain, seemed farty
    Behringer V-Amp Pro - My Favorite, but still was missing the "life"

I'd rather not go the software route, that way I am not tied to a computer.

I have modded up a Valve Jr Combo with Marshallized mods but to get the crunch you got to crank it. Even with my attenuator on it, its just a touch too loud.

What could you guys suggest? I am open to suggestions. If you need to know more info then feel free to ask.

2. trucks

trucks Member

Check out the Micro2 amps from www.s2amps.com. Built by s2amps (with input from TGP members) to be the ultimate bedroom amp. Plexi, JTM, SLO, Wreck inspired tones at 1/4 to 6W (variable voltage) with impeccable build quality. I have the wreck-inspired M3 which is an amazing low wattage amp.

3. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

interesting. i will have to look into a little more detail on them.

what are some other ideas as well?

4. Kojack19

Kojack19 Silver Supporting Member

Fargen Mini Plex Mk II. I have two two year olds at home-great tone and the volume situation is no longer an issue. I have also seen some great clips with the Ultimate Attenuator-no experience but could be worth a try given the price and you could stay with your current rig.

5. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

Recently, I picked up a Line6 SpiderJam amp that does the low-volume thing very well. This amp has tons of built-in song loops to jam with and drum loops that allow you to record your own loops/songs. I can't stop playing this damn thing. In no time, I put in loops of a bunch of songs that I know to play along with. It satisfies the 'lack of volume' and 'lack of band' issues really well. The amp is a 75 wt amp so it can be loud too if you like. It doesn't sound as good as my boutique amps but I'm playing it much more lately and it's improving my playing as a result. Check it out.

6. Thor

Thor Member

7. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Ok, so maybe I should add that need something in the $500-700 range. Less of course would be better and easier approved by the wife. ;)

8. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

My suggestion would just be a small amp and an OD/dist pedal...control the volume with the pedal's level control. Or stick with the big amps and buy/build an iso cab like a grendel sound dead room and run the mic out into a mixer/monitor speakers. You're always going to have some kind of tradeoff whether you go with any of the above or a modeler or attenuator. Just gotta choose what works for you.

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I bought a mini Z for just this purpose and love it. It will never achieve the ear ripping full room marshall, but the laws of physics don't allow for that. This amp is a big a sound as I have ever heard when turned down.

I also think my Maz Jr's Master volume is really really good. After working with Fender, Sunn, Peavey and others I had pretty much written the MV thing off, but this one works.

10. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Search for it on Musician's Friend. Only $400? I believe. Comes with a built-in attenuator for bedroom playing.

Otherwise: Ear protection devices that look like large headphones you see airport workers when you look outside the window of a plane. Cost for 3: < $100 [​IMG]

11. lazymonday

lazymonday Member

Yea I've been looking for the same thing OP. So far the Spider Jam does look fun. It seems like the same principle as the GDEC by Fender and that was a lot of fun when I demo'ed it at the store. I'm thinking about getting a POD and an Atomic Reactor to go with it in case I want to hear it through a speaker but otherwise just going headphone out into some cans wouldn't be a bad thing.

12. kselbee

kselbee Member

Check out the Bumbox. Some of the best tones I've heard. I've never played one, but the clips sound awesome. I'm considering one as well for the exact same reason.

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

+1

I recently bought a Mini Z with a built in attenuator and it's very easy to get good tone at low volumes.

14. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Has anyone played around with a Firefly from AX84? I have seen a few clips on youtube of them.

15. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Just recently checked out the fender super champ xd......street price $299. It is definately a bedroom/recording amp.......For the money it will be hard to beat. There are a couple of threads floating about them.

16. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

The firefly is a trip. I've a few friends that have built them. It's like Zep II in a small box. They're still pretty loud little amps, though. My friend was trying to get me to build one for myself since I don't gig and most of the amps I build for myself are ridiculously overpowered.

17. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

Try out a "trial version" of Guitar Rig 3 ;)

18. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

19. jaycee

jaycee Member

I have a Spider Jam on the way. Hope it delivers for home fun.

20. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

Yup!
    I have one too, and I believe it's the best sounding amp at "nightly bedroom volumes" I've ever heard. Sounds quite good recorded too and very much OK at "quiet rehearsal volumes"... For the money, it's really a steal.

You can hear a few clips I recorded with it on my soundclick page : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=798134&content=music