Bedroom Level Marshall 2061x w/ Les Paul

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ulysses, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

Here's another clip with the Ultimate Attenuator. The last one I did was with a Firebird and Tele so I wanted to get a traditional humbucker/Marshall tone. I think the UA excels even more with the Les Paul/Marshall combo. My Les Paul is a 1953 PAF conversion, the Marshall a 2061x and the cab is 2x12 w/Celestion Golds.

Keep in mind the guitar track you are hearing is recorded at true bedroom level. Less than half the volume of a cranked tweed Champ. I recorded the guitar track late last night with my family asleep in the house.

First of all, let me say I love my band. I asked these guys to lay down a quick jam for backing track I could use at last Tuesday night's rehearsal and in 30 minutes I had this. Credit to my B-3 player for the pentatonic riff in the middle and calling out chord changes to jam to. The rest of the guys just know what to do and do it right the second they hear it. One time through and they are ready to record and then did this in two takes. I just went in last night and wanked over it and they make me sound like I know what I'm doing. I've jammed with the organ and bass player on and off over the years since the 1970's and spent 10 years on the road with the (much younger) drummer starting in 1995. Super guys and the only guys who I know that just about any jam we start will probably end up being a pretty good song.

The first clip is just tracked with the bass and drum track, stripped down so you can hear details....no reverb EQ, no nothing The second track is with the B-3 organ so you can hear what their original jam sounded like. Once again the Ultimate Attenuator delivers fine detail, punch, and super tone at speaking voice levels. I have to say the Celestion Golds are a HUGE part of this sound. I tried the 2061x with ten other cabs and most did not sound that great.
    Guitar Bass and Drums
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6670368

Full Band
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6670388

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. m4tt

m4tt Member

fantastic tone
    i don't say that often

3. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard you say that before...and I agree on the tone and clip. Nice.

4. dstroud

dstroud Member

Sounds fantastic! I got a UA too, I really like it.

5. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Wow!
    You had me with the first note. What mic(s) did you use? Do I hear some John Cippolina in your playing?
    Well Done :cool:

6. Crikey

Crikey Member

Yeah, man! :AOK

Crikey

PS -- What speaker(s) in the /13 cab? And did you use the SM57 for this recording?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  7. hogy

hogy Member

That is some beautiful music right there, the kind that makes you forget about the gear. Thanks!

8. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Wow. Just, wow. I think that you're coping my dream tone in that clip. I'm really speechless as to how beautiful that is.

9. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

10. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

OK Man,
    Who are you guys? Just listened to your clips again. If that is indicative of the tone that falls out your amp on a regular basis I am really impressed. Is there a website? :)

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

He wrote in the origina post that he's using Celestion Gold speakers in the 2x12.

Great tone/playing/phrasing, man! Wish I could play like that!
    You've got me wanting a 2061x and a UA... :messedup

12. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Some seriously sweet tone. I just got my UA today and I desperately want to plug it in, but it's after 11 pm. Your 1st clip made me jump on the purchase!

13. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

The soundclips are my own doing. I usually do all my own drum and bass tracks on my Soundclick page. We are nobody, no website, just a bunch of old friends that are putting together another pipe-dream attempt at a band after many years going our different directions on the road. I was with the guys Tuesday night at rehearsal in my home studio and asked if they would jam in E for a backing track for this clip. This riff developed instantly but I didn't play on it until last night. I did the this to demonstrate how good the UA sounds at "bedroom level". The guitar track volume is not much louder than at speaking voice. I have to emphasize that the Golds are a HUGE factor in this combination. I tried with nearly ten other speaker cabs and nothing was very good in comparison.

I recorded the guitar late last night with a Beta 58 with the screen off on the grill cloth and an SM-81 about 3 feet away off to the side of the cab. I recorded my friends Tuesday using two SM-81's on drums, an RE-20 in the vicintity of the bass and another SM-81 on the Leslie cab for the B-3. There are no close mics on anything. One drum mic is 4' behind the kit and the other 4' infront. The kick is pronounced due to the 1176's the SM-81's went through. It's basically just a live room recording. The first clip with just bass and drums features the amp tone much more clearly and I recommend listening first before the B3 track..

I wouldn't be surprised if Cippolina's spirit is in there somewhere. I bought "Happy Trails" again last year and it stayed in my car. I don't know that I can think of a Cippolina phrase though.

14. shuie

shuie Member

Fantastic! What an amazing tool. It must be a lot of fun to be able to fire up a Marshall whenever you please without worrying about waking the family or scaring the neighbors.

15. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

16. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

17. alivegy

alivegy Member

amazing for bedroom volumes. I just got my UA a few days ago and have only been able to get a chance to sit down with it around 11:30 at night with my wife sleeping in the next room. Which is cool because before I had to use my pod, and I hate playing through headphones as I want to hear the room. I'm playing through a 65 bassman and the UA does exactly as advertised, although I'm getting some sizzle behind my notes if i have the volume above 2 on the amp, I think I just need some new power tubes though.

18. Paul86

Paul86 Member

That's what you guys do at TGP - make us poor slobs buy more and more gear...

19. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

The UA really excels more with an AC30 or a 18w-100w Marshall amp more so than a Fender. The Fender's may be the UA's biggest weakness or vica versa. Hi volume can cover a lot of your amps sins by compensating with excitement from speakers, the natural compression from our ears, and the energy one gets from playing loud. The UA will bring every flaw down to size where you can inspect it with a magnifying glass so to speak. The Fender's strong point has never really been the type of tight overdrive and gain you get from an AC30 or plexi Marshall. The bottom is flubby and the top end splats a bit in comparison.

In the case when the amp doesn't quite gel wuth the UA, I've found the biggest impact in finding a way to minimize your amp's shortcomings is in the speaker cab you choose. I have the luxury of having ten or more speaker cabs around in my studio at all times. You would be amazed at how almost unacceptably buzzy the 2061x in this clip is with Celestion Blues as opposed to the Celestion Golds I used. The golds were a HUGE part of this equation.

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ulysses, how does the UA work w/ your komet?
    I'm most glad to hear that it excels with AC30's and 18-100w Marshall amps.
    Also, how do you like the 2061x overall? Your two UA threads have got me really wanting one...