Bedroom Metal...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soggybottomboy, Jan 21, 2015.

1. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

I have a few bones burning a hole in my pocket. I want to feel a bit inspired to practice heavy metal (think 90s era like 90s Metallica, Body Count, Suicidal Tendencies, Living Colour, etc...). I have Schecter SLS Blackjack with Duncan passive humbuckers.

Right now I have a Quilter MP200 combo (but no pedals to run through it), a Roland Cube 80XL (which does a fizzy somewhat uninspiring Mesa impersonation) and an ENGL Screamer (which was a mistake -- the amp is great but it's not high gain enough for me and really needs a stage and audience that I can't deliver).

So with $500-700 burning a hole in my pocket and the reality of playing to the walls of my bedroom for the foreseeable future, should I:

1) Buy an uber distortion pedal like the MI Delta or Amptweaker and play through the Quilter?

2) Sell off some of the other stuff and buy a true metal combo that does low watt/low volume well like the new 6505 20 watt, Laney Ironheart or Blackstar HT-Metal series?

3) Sell off some of the other stuff and research a digital/modelling amp that'll out Roland-Cube my Roland-Cube? Maybe the Blackstar ID series? Is there an Orange or something I should be looking at?

Any thoughts appreciated, this is for metal though -- I have plenty of stuff that does other genres.

2. dirtyfunkg

dirtyfunkg Member

Do you need a channel switcher?

If not, do you have a decent DAW? Lepou and the Two Notes plug-in would be a good start for headphone/monitor play. Otherwise there's the Fryette GP/DI whenever it comes out.

3. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Yamaha THR10x
    Best software is the SGEAR by Scuffham, try the 15 day demo, it's amazing

4. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

No channel switcher needed. One high gain playable tone is plenty for me.

5. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

This.

6. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Maybe the peavey valveking micro? $429 new

7. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

Forget the Yamaha. It has zero low end and you'll end up disappointed. Tried it...sounded like a kazoo compared to what else is out there. Returned it literally hours later.

For true bedroom metal tone, try a 1-watt or less lunchbox head through a closed back 1x12 (assuming you don't have room for a 2x12). Both the Randall Diavlo, Krank Rev Jr and Peavey micro Valve King will get you where you want to go. Hell, even the Bugera Infinium G5 is a good choice. That gets you down to .1 watt. Be careful with lunchbox heads that can't go lower than 5-watts...that is still quite loud and to get the goods, you're going to have to dime the gain knob and then you're working with fizz, unless of course, it has a real nice linear taper pot on the master volume. A Carvin V3Mc has tons of gain but even at its lowest watt setting, it's fairly loud and with the master volume at bedroom level, it's a fizz factory.

Now, if you had a bit of room to spare for some serious metal tones, look for a Peavey XXL 2x12 combo or pair a head with a 2x12 and you can thank me later. Don't pass on a Randall T2 combo either. Remember, we're talking metal and those fellas
    deliver.

8. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo Member

9. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with a pedal, probably the Amptweaker Tight Metal. It should sound good through the amps you have. A lot of high gain amps need to be fairly loud to sound good.

10. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I had the older Yamaha TH10 and I was VERY disappointed in it, even compared to the Roland Cube series. It truly sounded small and crummy -- almost like some Danelectro POS I bought for $30 a few years ago. I can't really do a Yamaha.

I ordered a Megalith Delta and I'm going to try that through the Quilter and see what happens. Maybe it'll bring teh brootz.

If not, I'll have to look at the Peaveys, Randalls, etc... 1 Watt Head/Cab sounds fine to me.

I have a Redstone Audio 1x12" closed back cab with a neo speaker. I'm not sure what kind is in there, I've only used it for jazz in the past, but how bad can it really be at "dont piss of the neighbors volume."

I'm still hung up on a negative perception of Peavey -- bah, I need to get over it. So I guess I'll look at the Randall first.

Thanks for the warning on the Carvin. v3m looks awesome on paper... but...

11. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

Those new micro heads from Peavey won't be shipping out for months with the emphasis on the plural form of the word. They are notorious for this. Anyone remember the Vypyr Pro from last year's NAMM? Still haven't seen 'em.

12. cardinal

cardinal Member

What can do you own? A nice 4x12 will go a LONG way to delivering metal tones, and they usually can be had for cheap off Craigslist if you're patient. 1x12s and combos IME just don't deliver metal tone.

13. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

Nobody's mentioned marshall or fender... i like tube amps,.. all those brands like peavey, blackstar, randall, +yamaha are ok, i'm not slagging them

but a lot of pros use fenders (maybe with pedals) or marshalls, maybe with an overdrive... peavey's definitely not bad

and riveras pretty good too.. maybe sell a few things. Also, u don't always need the most metal pedal + amp for metal sounds.

a tubescreamer thru a tube marshall can be super metal.. tubescreamer into 'Distortion plus' into a clean fender too.

14. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

The Blackstar ID series is pretty tough to beat in an apartment or bedroom setting. They're dirt cheap and sound more than decent. I've got a 10 that gets more play time than my Mark IV at home right now. It's tiny and super light. I like the fact that it's got good cleans and good dirt with a couple of effects built in so I don't need to lug out a pedal board when I just feel like messing around a bit.

The Mark IV is killer and does bedroom volume tones really well, don't get me wrong. It's just more work at home to attain the same goal.

15. Speeddemon

Speeddemon Member

If it's purely for the bedroom,
    look at 20W (or less) of the mini tube heads,

OR,

clean channel/amp with really good and versatile drive pedal.

Speakersize & type is everything if you want a phat low-end, without becoming mushy.
    I'm personally very happy with my Engl Ironball (20W, 4 preamp tubes, vs. the 1(2) preamp tube on the Blackstar HT-series or Engl Gigmaster series) through a 2x12" cab or at least 1x12". Since it lacks a resonance control, perhaps that new Peavey 6505MH mini might do the trick.
    Forget the Mesa Mini Recto; not tight enough (cue Mesa-fanboys that say 'well, throw a boost in front'...):brick that's NOT why we buy high gain heads, eh? :jo

The EVH 5150III 50W sounds awesome (kinda bright, but low-end can be huge, yet tight), but needs to be cranked a bit (too loud) maybe out of budget like the Ironball.
    Hmm...Randall Diavlo RD45 or RD20? Simple, affordable and I hear good things about them (from people that have both the RD45 and the EVH).

16. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Marshall 1 watt JCM 800?

17. GasMask

GasMask Member

For true "bedroom" levels only, I suggest either a modeler or high-gain tube pre-amp. Either can produce very nice tones at conversation levels. Even a very low powered guitar amp can be quite loud. Just 1 watt can produce 100 dB with many speakers- not exactly "bedroom" volume!