bedroom/practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yzmxer931, Jan 8, 2008.

1. yzmxer931

yzmxer931 Member

I'm looking for a practice amp >20 watts. I'm looking for a British style amp for 60s and 70s rock. My budget is $1100. Right now I'm stuck between:
    A Reeves Custom 6 head, and Avatar G112 vintage closed back cab with an Eminence Tonkerlite Neo speaker (I'm not entirely sure about the speaker, need some help with that)
    or
    A Ceriatone 18 watt tremolo in a 1x12 combo cab with a Celestion G12H heritage speaker.
    What would you recommend? I'm open to other options also. Thanks.

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

15-20W is silly loud for a bedroom amp. I would suggest looking in the 5W category.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

yeah id get a zvex nano or an orange tiny terror. Then you can get a bogner cube or something similar. save yourself a little money.

You could always go the carr route, but that is more expensive, and actually very loud, much louder than a person practicing in their bedroom would need.

I would also suggest a korg pandora with that extra money you would save by buying a zvex nano or tiny terror. They are really a great tool, and no one should be without one! I got one of the new ones on sale for like 90 bucks and its really helpful. The patches aren't that bad either. i wouldn't go as far as using them in a performance, but its very fun and has so many options. Try one out if you ever get the chance!

4. yzmxer931

yzmxer931 Member

by "practice" i mean practicing with a band. also, i already have a fender blues jr and would be selling it to help pay for the amp.

5. PFCG

PFCG Member

well the carr mercury can do all that kinda stuff in spades, but its pricey.

Id keep a lookout for a mesa heartbreaker or a maverick combo.

6. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

The Mercury by Steve Carr is the Ticket.
    I just gave a friend a Fender Hot Rod 2x12 combo for his apt.
    I use a 100W Plexi Super Lead minus 2 EL-34 power tubes in my home office these days. The stack is in here too.

Just turn it down to 2 on V1 channel and work the tones out in the eq section and some other tweaking to your playing style and likes.

The better the amp can let you hear the better you will learn. Most any amp can be a bedroom amp. So get more watts,:AOK

7. JPF

JPF Member

8. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

9. lukeII

lukeII Member

If I was you I would either try and pick up a second hand Suhr Badger or save some more cash and go for a Fargen Miniplex Mark II

10. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Member

Don't forgret to check out Stulce Amps (www.stulceamps.com).
    10 watts, great master, and reallyversatile. There are several owners now on the forum inclduing myself. Right in your price range for combo or head and cab.

Also, there are a few people that have Reeves custom 6 and 12's with power scaling. Never played one, but have read good things about them.

KEP

11. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

If sounds as good as my Aiken Invader, I heartily agree. And a 1x12 Tomcat went for under a grand on eBay the other day.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you go a tiny bit more, you can get a much more versatile amp
    going to an Emery Sound Superbaby.

The Reeves is a good choice too for build quality.

The Gries 5 is available with a 6V6 or 6L6 and you might as him
    if he could configure one with an EL34

13. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Any idea on the price for the addition of power scaling on those two?

14. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I just picked an Aiken Invader in the Emporium. Review Forthcoming....

15. yzmxer931

yzmxer931 Member

the super baby does look interesting, i'll look into it. If I went with the reeves, should I get the 6 or the 12?

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

The power you select really depends on how much clean headroom you're
    expecting at what volume.

If you go for the Reeves, you might want to consider the custom 18 or 30 since they offer power scaling. That gets you enough power to jam and quiet bedroom operation as well.

The 6 and 12 are Single ended Class A so they are completely different
    creatures. Of those 2 I'd get the 12 for better clean headroom.

The Superbaby is a highly respected recording amp used in many studio situations for it's versatility with numerous tube options.

17. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Just to emphasize the point, the 12 and even the 6 are going to be pretty darn loud before they break up due to the lack of any sort of master volume.

18. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Great at full volume, great at bedroom volume. I'm always searching for the perfect channel switching grab and go amp under $1000, and now that I have the Aiken, it's even more difficult to like the drive channels on non-super-spendy channel switchers. The Invader does not get into JCM800 territory without a pedal, but it's plenty of gain for my purposes. The gain that it does have is sweet, sweet, sweet gain.

Oops, I think I'm thread snatching now! Although like I said, if you're lucky and/or patient, you can get a Tomcat for a grand.