Bedroom volumes: THR vs helix + powercab or studio monitors

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JHand, Sep 20, 2019.

1. JHand

JHand Member

I already have a helix and have been playing it through headphones. I want to get something to play at bedroom volumes. Has anyone compared these three options? Any thoughts?

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

Either powercab or studio monitors would work well. No point in getting the THR since you already have the Helix.

3. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Think of the THR as a modeler attached to two very mediocre "studio monitors" in a fixed position that is too close together and has some weird trickery signal processing applied to make it sound like they're placed wider apart.

For the price of the THR you could get a substantially better pair of studio monitors that can be placed wherever is best for your room and have Helix modeling.

THR is all about convenience and the psychological impact of "that sounds bigger and better than it should for it's size!"

rd2rk and Elric like this.
  4. Lele

Lele Member

I don't know how loud you mean your bedroom volume. But if you don't need to take your monitor(s) away to go to rehearsal room with a band, imho nearfield monitors are the way to go.
    Lately I had the chance to listen to some Presonus monitors and for me they are excellent (Eris E5 and upward). I'd suggest to give them a try.

5. mdubya

mdubya Member

I have a Xitone powered monitor and regularly play my AX8 through regular guitar speakers, too. All sounds great.

A few months ago, on a whim, I bought a set of Presonus e4.5 powered monitors. They are foo king fantastic. They are pretty much all I play through now. Perfect for bedroom volumes. I can't say enough good about these. I think they go for $199, brand new. That doesn't account for typical discount coupons. I got mine on sale for about $129. <--Unbeatable value.

The Presonus were recommended by Fractal.

I think the THR is great. But I think your Helix through monitors will positively blow it away on options and versatility alone.

6. JHand

JHand Member

Cool, yeah I don't need to take the studio monitors out of the house. I'll probably get something different for that--either a PowerCab or a combo amp.

7. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

I've got a THR10C which I absolutely love for it's compact convenience, tones, and battery powered operation I typically use it at really close near field of about arms length at my side on the couch, on a desktop, end table, coffee table, back yard, outdoors, etc. When I have used it with my Helix Floor or HX Stomp it does a very impressive job -- also at really close near field. I connect the Helix gear's stereo out to the THR10C's Stereo Aux In. Connected this way the Yamaha's DSP is entirely bypassed and the unit is functioning merely as a stereo powered monitor. If you've got the space in your room to accommodate a wider spread, for instance, of a pair of 5", 6", 7", or 8" studio monitors, go that route. I've got pairs of JBL LSR 305's, LSR 308's, a JBL LSR310S Sub, and Yamaha DXR10s. At really near field low SPLs the LSR305s outperform the THR10C (when connected as depicted above), but it is very close. And, the LSR305s studio monitors don't offer any of the other features the THR10C delivers. With the introduction of the new THR10 Series II, you may be able to get a good deal on on of the existing new in box THR10 units. Hope this helps.

8. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

My feeling is that the Helix+monitors will sound 'better.' But, you will actually 'just play' a lot more with the THR.

That was my experience. I had a THR10x, and played it a lot. It was just so convenient and simple. Pick up guitar, play. And even with its limited number of presets and effects, i found myself actually wanting to experiment with different types of playing. I was never really interested in 'clean, Fenderish' tones or jazz or funk guitar, and the THR made it fun to get into all of that. But, i sold it, and thought an Atomic Amplifire+JBL LSR305 monitors would be a major 'step up' in quality and versatility. It probably was. But, in my playing area, it meant moving the Atomic, plugging everything in, walking over to switch on both monitors, finding a preset among the hundred, worrying about whether i had the optimal IRs... and then playing.

It's a different experience.

MusicLaw likes this.