Beefier Bridge Humbucker Suggestion

thx712517

I've got a 2014 PRS Tremonti SE that's been tweaked a bit. Right now I've got Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers in neck and bridge positions. While the neck pickup is right where I want it, I'm thinking the bridge pickup could use a little more beef/edge to it. I haven't finished tweaking it yet (pickup height mostly) but I was starting to look at a possible replacement.

Looking to add more volume and bass. Thinking of a Saturday Night Special or Whole Lotta Humbucker from SD. Any experience or thoughts on these?

jimlp

I've got a 2014 PRS Tremonti SE that's been tweaked a bit. Right now I've got Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbuckers in neck and bridge positions. While the neck pickup is right where I want it, I'm thinking the bridge pickup could use a little more beef/edge to it. I haven't finished tweaking it yet (pickup height mostly) but I was starting to look at a possible replacement.

Looking to add more volume and bass. Thinking of a Saturday Night Special or Whole Lotta Humbucker from SD. Any experience or thoughts on these?

Jason_77

I second the Duncan Custom. But I'm also going to suggest buying a few few different kinds of magnets to try in it because all variations of the Custom are the same wind, just different magnets. Another suggestion would be the Custom Hybrid. One coil is a 59, the other is a Custom and it uses an A5 magnet. It literally is right in between a paf-style and a Custom.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
aside from the suggestion for the 59 or the 59 hybrid, all of the suggestions have been for all-out distortion flamethrowers.

cool if that's what you like, but if we're going for "comparable to the alnico pro II but with a bit more push and low end" then the 59 might be just right.

Ncp10

The Duncan APH-2b (Slash) is a mildly beefed up version of what's in your guitar, but not into distortion territory.

rstites

I've never played either of those, and from the information on the SD website it's really hard to see if either will move you in the direction you want to go. I'd be tempted to talk to SD before buying either. Did you try their pickup selector guide?

You've gotten suggestions for a bunch of higher gain pickups, which I don't think is what you're after. I'll use those to note a couple of options though. I'm a huge fan of the Custom. It's probably way too high output for what you want. The Custom Custom comes with an alnico II magnet and might be a nice match for what you're looking for. With SD, the JB is the first pickup that comes to mind for neck position, mahogany bodied, hard tail guitar, that need a bit more punch for lots of people, including me. Again, I suspect that's not a good match for you. However, I note on the SD website, the Antiquity JB. I'd suggest at least looking closely at it before making a final decision. It looks very promising for your verbal description.

Keep us posted what you end up doing.

rstites

Duncan Custom is a real classic. Dimarzio Tone Zone is always what I think of when someone wants a beefy bridge pickup. The Custom will have more edge to it.
The Tone Zone is designed to beef up a super strat with a floating Floyd Rose trem. It's great for that, and for the type of music you associate with floating terms with. It'd probably work great in an exceptionally bright, thin sounding guitar. I'd think it'd turn the above guitar into sludge.

The Custom is on the other end of the spectrum. It's probably what I'd put into a guitar like that (or a JB), but I can't imagine it's what the OP is after.

I agree many of the suggestions are quite a bit hotter than the OP is really looking for. My first choice would be the Duncan BroBucker- beefier and fatter than most vintage output humbuckers but still behaves very much like its low output brethren. Great lead voice and cleans up wonderfully. Fantastic pickup in a bright guitar and not too over-the-top volumewise. Expensive but worth it.

Another good choice might be the DiMarzio Breed Neck. The Breed is quite warm and thick while still having good cut in the top end, and the neck version is not as hot as the DiMarzios suggested upthread. At around 10.4K it ought to balance pretty well in bridge position with your A2Pro in the neck. And it's reasonably priced.

As an even simpler third option for hotter/deeper, have you considered trying a different magnet in your present bridge pickup? It occurs to me that an unoriented A5 mag could be just the ticket for a little more beef and edge- that's practically the textbook definition of the tonal difference between A2 and UOA5. I'd say it'd be well worth trying, and if it isn't enough you're only out a couple of dollars. This might be the thing to try first.

EDIT: If you install a regular A5 it will give your A2Pro more lows & highs and scooped mids with a noticeable boost in volume. This mod makes it identical to the Duncan Jazz bridge model, a good rock pickup. The reason I didn't suggest this at first is that given that you're primarily looking for more low end I think it would make the highs a bit prominent. If you do decide to try a regular A5 I'd go with roughcast rather than polished; might tame the highs just a little (some say just enough). But I'd give the unoriented a shot first. It's closer to what you have.

PS: Some of the suggestions offered in this thread have been really high output pickups and my impression is, that isn't what's desired here. But I could be wrong. So in case a pretty big pickup might fit the bill, I'd second the suggestion of a RioGrande BBQ. It's a stellar pickup and very warm & fat yet with good definition and enough highs to scream when you want it to. And it still cleans up pretty well with the volume control so it's more versatile than some of the fire breathers that have been mentioned.

Last edited:

jalmer

Maybe a Pearly Gates? I find the neck to be smooth. Bridge version might have the right beef.

This is the beefiest pickup I have come across to date, just listen to the sound samples: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=warpig, and if like me and you want them to make it even beefier so that it makes bands like BLS, Black Sabbath and such sound like they have an eating disorder, all you need to do is get in touch with them directly, and they will either customize their stock Warpig's voicing for you, which is what I get done, or just make a custom pickup voiced to match your specific requirements. And the best thing about their customizing services is that it won't take any longer for you to get your pickup, or cost more money.

Trending Topics