Been a while... New Weber CR36 Amp (long)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Jayson Chance, May 15, 2008.

1. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Howdy, gang... Been too swamped to post much here lately, but I thought I'd share a new toy.

Last year, Ted Weber and I talked about a "signature" type amp for me, for lack of a better word. We bounced around a few ideas, and it has finally come to fruition.

Basically, I was looking for a ballsy, modern drive amp. But it still had to be versatile enough to get some cleaner shades. What we ended up doing is taking one of Ted's standard "kit offerings" and adding a couple of tweaks.

In it's base form, we started with the Weber 6M36, which is Ted's take on the Marshall 1974X circuit, but with 4 EL84's and twice the power.

The normal channel of the amp, which simply has volume & tone, is strictly the higher-power 1974X type theme. The second channel, however, is a bit different.

It ended up being sort of a bybrid between the Marshall, and the EF86 channel of something along the lines of a Matchless DC30. So it's not quite as chimey as the Matchless, but not quite as dark & gutsy as the Marshall. A cool, unique medium...so to speak.

It's cathode biased, and for all practical purposes is the modern cliche of Class A (although yes, I know, it's really not... :) )

In addition to the T-M-B controls on the EF86 channel, it also has a gain knob on the back of the amp in place of one of the speaker jacks. And I mean GAIN, GAIN, GAIN. You can get as nasty as you want, especially with the EF86 preamp. To simplify, it pretty much sounds like a Plexi and a DC30 had a poorly behaved love child.

So I've had it about a week, have done a couple of gigs with it, and am getting it pretty close to dialed in. I did three initial clips, and am going to do some more with a variety of guitars. For the sake of being fairly "universal," I did Strat clips first.

So what we have is a clean, driven, and heavy clip. Clean is straight in with mild Keeley compression, Driven adds an Xotic RC just set for some push, and the Heavy clip adds an Xotic BB in place of the RC.

Once we make a few more adjustments, based on interest, it could be a model available in a "kit" form.

In addition to these Strat clips, you can somewhat hear the amp in action on some compressed video clips at a gig I did a couple of days after I got it. They are from an industry showcase here in Nashville with a modern country duo called Thompson Square. You can find them on my public html server at www.jaysonchance.com. There's a tune called "Not Far Enough" where I'm using it with a Tele and a BB, and tune called "That's the Way" that's sort of a pop/U2 type tune with some delay and the amp set cleanish.

So here's a picture of the Weber CR36 in my current home amp recording rig, and some clips on my Soundclick site.

Clips are done straight into Pro Tools with no external effects. Only the Keeley compressor is on all of them, and there's a little 'verb added in Pro Tools. Pretty much guitar, amp, SM57 straight mic'ed on a Weber ceramic 1225 speaker. Hope you like!

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6546400&q=hi
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6546404&q=hi
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6546409&q=hi

[​IMG]

2. Wagster

Wagster Member

Jayson these are my favorite tones I've heard from you.The cleans are very sweet and the OD is killer.This sounds like a amp I'd get along with really well.

Great playing and tones:AOK

3. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Thanks, Wagster. Should have some more of different guitars and the 1974X channel in the next day or two.

4. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Wonderful tones.

Somethin about your playin really hooks me. lovely stuff

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yeah Jason ... great playing indeed... You have a beautiful touch

Though it's not clean to my ears...
    Simply luv the tone you call a clean Strat tone (I hear it as a slighty gritty tone ...)
    But regardless, it is a very pleasing, sweet sound ...(especially in your hands ...)

6. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Right on... The amp's *NOT* clean. That was the absolute cleanest tone I could get with it that was passable, hence the "clean" moniker. Should have probably called it "clean-ish."

So yeah, you're right... Not really a "clean" sound. But hey, we all like a little grit on our cleans, right? ;)

7. wax

wax Member

Jayson,

What's up man ?

The amp sounds 3D, 2 or 3 different tones at the same time. I need one of those amps. Great playing as usual.

Who are you playing with now ?

8. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Thanks Brian. Got your email... talk soon.

Thanks for the other nice words, too, fellas....

J